Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I FINALLY got Bluetooth working on this pc. I can beam files but can't sync with Vista. When I pair it shows Activesync is an available service and I do have the laptop set to be discovered. I can sync via USB. I upgraded to WMDC 6.1 and have it configured to allow syncing via Bluetooth.

When I try to sync on the Treo and select connect via Bluetooth it says that I "don't have a partnership set up with a PC that supports Bluetooth, Do I want to set one up". I check and it is set up, but I've also deleted it and re-paired.

Anything I've missed?
    Last edited by squidix9; 12/07/2007 at 08:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    yes you have to set your computer to be discoverable.. Then set a link between it and your 700wx, you need to do this with a code, after the partnership is made you can turn off the "discoverablity" on your computer.... after that you open activesync on your 700wx and choose connect via Bluetooth... it should then connect and sync.... It works for me and for my wife.. my sure the bluetooth is turned on for your computer, I turn mine off when not snycing and get the error your getting...

Hope this helps,

Jim
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thanks, but I'm already beyond that point. I have a partnership set up and can beam files both ways. So I know BT is working. I can sync vis USB, so I know that part works.

But I try to sync from the phone to the laptop and I get, "Unable to find a partnership with a device that supprts BT sync do you want to set one up?" Althjough the partnership is already setup and the Actuivesync service is selected from the available services on the PC.

I've heard bits that the comm port must be specified in the registry, but this doesn't seem to work either. I've tried a number of tips I've found on the web but none of them have fixed it.
    The only time I saw that error, a reboot corrected the problem. There are times in Vista when disconnecting the phone (wired or BT) from Windows Mobile Device Center would result in a condition where it would not re-connect whatsoever without a reboot.

The only other thought that I can offer if you're beyond the point to make the computer discoverable, is to make sure that the firewall you are using (if any) is not blocking the phone / network connection.

If that is not an issue, then I would delete that partnership and try again step by step covering all the bases one more time.

I have noticed, now that I have a WM6 device, that the challenges with WMDC are significantly reduced when compared to WM5.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    No firewall

Many many many reboots and deleted partnerships and re-pairings

I've got a MS MVP suggesting things to try and HP is supposed to get in touch with me on Monday. But I am not holding my breath.

In researching this, while BT itself is a standard, it's implementation is not. Just like the IP stack, there are various BT stacks and aplication layers out there. They don't all play nice although the assumption is that they do. The frustrating thing is that in simplifying the whole structure there are no tools to try and figure out what's wrong.

Each mfg also just supplies you with basic instructions on how to make it work. Go to the Start button, click here. The problem is when it doesn't do what they say it should. According to everything I can find it's setup per the instructions step by step, but it still fails. There are a number of posts on the MS forums with the exact same problem with other deivces too.

No mfg or MS is willing to step up and offer suggestions they're all eerily silent on BT. It's there use it, have a nice day. As best I can tell the problems are with data devices. Things like phone-headset aren't terribly bad. However BT device(phone/pc) to another BT device(phone/pc) just doesn't want to happen. Rach mfg implements data transfer differently. Some use virtual serial ports, some not. Some hardcode which port is incoming and outgoing, some not. Some you can edit ports, some not. So trying to get two devices to talk to each other may or may not happen.

It's a really great idea gone bad.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    sorry, not sure what is happening, I have set up, mine and my wife’s.. Alltel phones with Dell laptops running Vista. No issues like you are describing. It was straight forward.

My wife did have an issue when attempting to sync using XP with a VPN installed... Vista fixed that issue, when you say "beam" files are you doing that by "exploring" your device from the my computer screen or thru the Windows mobile Screen?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    In my Vista Bluetooth control panel, there is an applet that allows you to transfer files between devices. It will initiate the transfer using BT.

No VPN installed, tyhe only network I use is my home office net.

I am not able to explore either device from the other. On Vista I do not have an icon for the Treo. At one point I did, but not anymore.

I was in a chat with Palm last night and all I got were pointers to the User's Guide where the instructions were on how to set up a partnership. The support were pretty useless. I kept repeating what the symptoms were and they just kept pointing me to different instructions on how to pair telling me that "they were sure that woiuld fix the problem". Support these days is embarassingly horrible.
    Have you had any luck with this yet? I am having the exact same problem...

I have removed and reinstalled the wmdc and BT software twice now and still no luck.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    No luck yet. I will try and call Palm this afternoon. HP is also supposed to be having someone look into it, but I'm not holding my breath there.

I have done the same, re-installed WMDC and all the BT stack and applets. HP even had me re-install their help system. Not sure what prompted that but unless you do everything exactly as they request, they won't help you.

I'm simply amazed at how little support there is for Vista. It's as if it doesn't even exist, yet it's what shipped on everything out there.

I got in touch with an MS MVP online and all he did was give me XP troublshooting tips. When that didn't work he told me good luck, and to get back in touch with him to let him know what I found out. Simply wonderful!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    This may be silly and you may have done this, but did you set the partnership by having your phone discover your computer and use a passkey set up? Or did you have your computer find your phone? Just checking...
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Sure did. I tried it both ways, multiple times. It does behave differently one way or the other somtimes. Bluetooth isn't very stable from what I've been seeing.