Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to decide what to do. I consider myself a heavy 750 user and I customize my phone's software a lot. Did the same with my old 650.

    I currently run the leaked ATT WM6 update. I don't use any of the ATT specific software (all the crap they put on the rom).

    I was considering installing an unlocked WM6 rom but I don't want to mess around with the ATT conection configuration.

    What is my best option?

    Stay with the current leaked WM6 rom?
    Update to the new ATT official rom?
    Get an unlocked rom?
  2. mrjasjit's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by zoti View Post
    What is my best option?

    Stay with the current leaked WM6 rom?
    Yes, no reason to mess with a working device. I too have other programs and customizations, and certainly don't want to have to reinstall anything.

    Besides, all the posts about the "official" ATT release seem to report errors or connectivity issues.
    ...
  3. #3  
    Here's my 2 cents.

    I also have an ATT Treo and was running the leaked WM6 release for some time. Over Thannksgiving, they upgraded the towers in my area to 3G so now I get HSDPA. However, it was KILLING my battery life. I had so much trouble making it through the day that I ended up forcing it into GPRS just to make it through the day on one charge.

    I ended up loading the UNBRANDED version last week. Trueluck3 over at everythingtreo modded the palm install wizard so it will install on an ATT device. It is the "official" unbranded release. Since then, it seems like my battery life is much better and things just seem to run smoother all around. Plus, you don't have that 2 meg worth of ATT garbage. (Make sure you request the installer for the ATT wizard.)

    http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...d-13690-4.html

    I will not be moving to the ATT release for 1 HUGE reason. With the ATT version, you CANNOT use ICS to tether your PC for the internet connection unless you have a special data plan for doing so! It's in the fine print on the download page for the ATT WM6 release.

    I have a standard unlimited data plan and have NO trouble tethering with ICS using the unbranded ROM.

    All in all, I'm very happy with the official unbranded version and don't plan on switching. Hope that helped.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

    My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  4. mrjasjit's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post

    I have a standard unlimited data plan and have NO trouble tethering with ICS using the unbranded ROM.
    What constitutes the "standard" unlimited plan? I have PDA connect unlimited and don't have any issues connecting via tethering.

    well, I don't think I do... haha

    ...
  5. #5  
    whats is ICS?
  6. #6  
    I am wondering the same thing, should I upgrade even if I have the leaked WM6 ROM? Are there any advantages?

    Jose
  7. #7  
    First of all, the unbranded version is not the same as the one that is out now. It is different. I had both, and there are different things in there. The real version is also version number 2.25, not 2.24. I think one guy is using the MediaNet plan which is $20, vs $40, which is the PDA Unlimited plan. If you are doing that, then maybe you don't want to upgrade, but do not think the hack version and the official version are the same thing.

    And you can never know the subtle differences between the hack and the real. How could you, unless you were a developer at M$? As a developer myself, I know that sometimes, you miss things that are wrong, and when you discover them, you fix them and move on, and you don't always make a big deal of every little fix you made. Why would you want an old version?

    Plus, I bet if they ask you what your version number is, and you say, 2.24, they might not give you tech support. Or something like that.

    As far as bloatware, what are we talking about? Some links to AT&T stuff? You can easily remove that, with the File Explorer, if you like. Why would you not want to have the latest, greatest ROM? Seems silly to me.

    How can anyone know for sure if the speed is not even a little better with the official ROM? Did you do comprehensive testing of speeds at all times of the day, considering peak periods, et al? Why mess around? It might take 15 minutes to re-install your apps and re-sync.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    I will not be moving to the ATT release for 1 HUGE reason. With the ATT version, you CANNOT use ICS to tether your PC for the internet connection unless you have a special data plan for doing so! It's in the fine print on the download page for the ATT WM6 release.

    Wrong. When you start ICS, switch the connection type from ICS to AT&T. That makes it use wap.cingular, eliminating the need for the special data plan.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I have HSDPA and I have no problem tethering to the PC. I have Mediamax unlimited.
  10. #10  
    i have two battery icons with the leaked version. Ahh.. what the hell?!

    Anyone else have that problem?
  11. m5rahul's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zoti View Post
    Well, I have HSDPA and I have no problem tethering to the PC. I have Mediamax unlimited.
    I agree.. no issues with tethering ia USB... BT PAN is another Pandora's Box right now...

    Either way, I'm now facing two issues:

    1) Unable to browse the web [PIE] if Proxy Mgr is disabled

    2) Unable to OBEX with my Nokia N80ie and N95
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post
    I agree.. no issues with tethering ia USB... BT PAN is another Pandora's Box right now...

    Either way, I'm now facing two issues:

    1) Unable to browse the web [PIE] if Proxy Mgr is disabled

    2) Unable to OBEX with my Nokia N80ie and N95

    YOu can browse the web just fine if the Proxy is disabled.. IT just fails because the home page is still set for the Proxy Website..

    Just go to the address bar and plug any other address in there.. works fine...
  13. Phil#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #13  
    1. Boot time is much improved over the original leaked version.
    2. Mobile Office 6.1 is included.
    3. Updated radio firmware!
    4. More stable (at least IMHO).
    5. Faster file browsing. (Remember how painfully slow it was to navigate to /windows before?)


    Quote Originally Posted by zoti View Post
    I'm trying to decide what to do. I consider myself a heavy 750 user and I customize my phone's software a lot. Did the same with my old 650.

    I currently run the leaked ATT WM6 update. I don't use any of the ATT specific software (all the crap they put on the rom).

    I was considering installing an unlocked WM6 rom but I don't want to mess around with the ATT conection configuration.

    What is my best option?

    Stay with the current leaked WM6 rom?
    Update to the new ATT official rom?
    Get an unlocked rom?
    Last edited by Phil750; 12/07/2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Add No. 5

Posting Permissions