1.    #1  
    I noticed since going to WM6, that when I run the newest Google maps Beta with "My Location" (uses cell towers as a poor mans GPS), Google Maps fails to find my location. It reports the message: "your current location is temporarily unavailable".

I finally noticed a correlation between being on GSM networks "E" and the program working, and being on 3G/H networks and the program failing. While in a 3G/H area, I locked my phone into the GSM band, got an "E", and Google Maps worked. Went back to "auto" band selection, saw a 3G/H on the top bar and Google maps failed.

Just a data point.
    Who is your provider could it be network issue?
    I have the same issue and I am with Fido/Rogers.
  3.    #3  
    At&t
    I can confirm this. In fact, upon starting GMM immediately after 'resetting' the app, I was immediately taken to 'My Location' rather than the maps beginning at San Francisco. As I've suspected for a bit, this issue of support for the feature seems to be local network in nature as some 750's using AT&T with the 'Auto' band settings are reporting the feature to be operational.
    As the title implies I am having the same issue in Los Angeles with a 3G signal. I wonder if this is something that Google will be able to fix or if it is an issue specific to AT&T?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  6.    #6  
    if you want to see other experiences with this, check out this google groups thread. put this string in a google search window:

GM "MyLocation" - does not work with UMTS networks
    Same here. I'm in west LA.

However, I leave my phone on GSM most of the time to save battery life and only switch to UMTS whenever I need to speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
    if you want to see other experiences with this, check out this google groups thread. put this string in a google search window:

GM "MyLocation" - does not work with UMTS networks
    Nor with EVDO networks from what I get from Maletesta's reports.
    Great that the workaround has been found. 3G speed improvements are marginal. I think a lot of iphone users are going to be disappointed in March when their 3G iphone isn't noticably faster.

Main reason I leave it on 3G is so I can use data and voice together - speakerphone on plus email sync ("I just sent you the latest ppt deck - has it arrived yet?") or google search ("What time does the movie start?") is a common scenario for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandingo View Post
    Great that the workaround has been found. 3G speed improvements are marginal. I think a lot of iphone users are going to be disappointed in March when their 3G iphone isn't noticably faster.
    That's funny. I don't recall getting speeds of 1178kbit/sec on EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    That's funny. I don't recall getting speeds of 1178kbit/sec on EDGE.
    Ah young Skywalker, therein lies the mystery. What you get in a bandwidth test of a single download is *very different* from fetching the multiple elements of a web page or the handshaking and sync that goes on when your phone is talking to an exchange server.

The connection set up time/tear down time and protocol overheads in 3G transfers make a significant impact on how fast you get what you're looking for in the real world.

If you're downloading one big file then your bandwidth test is probably pretty representative. For most people it is the speed to bring up a web page or activesync that is the speed they care about.

Try it - load a web page on 3G and then go down to Edge - if there is a difference I am betting it won't be significant and certainly not reflective of the 100kbps versus 1000kbps (ie. 10x) your bandwidth test reports.
    Spartan081 - how does one forcible throttle one's phone back to GSM (to save power)? I've been looking for this for a while and have never figured out how to do it.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patfla View Post
    Spartan081 - how does one forcible throttle one's phone back to GSM (to save power)? I've been looking for this for a while and have never figured out how to do it.
    Go to Phone Settings -> Services -> Band Selection and then change Auto to GSM in the "Select Network Type" drop down.
    Equal measures of 'thanx' and 'duh'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandingo View Post
    ...//snip//...

If you're downloading one big file then your bandwidth test is probably pretty representative. For most people it is the speed to bring up a web page or activesync that is the speed they care about.

Try it - load a web page on 3G and then go down to Edge - if there is a difference I am betting it won't be significant and certainly not reflective of the 100kbps versus 1000kbps (ie. 10x) your bandwidth test reports.
    Test was without AT&T proxy, dslreports' 1MB (largest test file download available). I have 2 other devices which are EDGE-only and the difference is very noticeable in loading any common page. If in an available service are with halfway decent signal strength, this is also common knowledge reaching back several years with the piloting of EVDO. Nothing new.