1.    #1  
    Under WM5 I frequently used my Treo 750 to provide an internet connection for my Vista laptop via bluetooth. Now under WM6 I cannot find the modem icon in the programs view. I seached the 'help' on the Treo and got an entry titled "Use the device to connect your P...". When I select this option I get an error message stating 'Cannot open Help. The file cannot be found'. So it seems the index entry is there but not the help text.

Any ideas how to set up the Treo 750 as a modem under WM6?

All the best
    Wizbang
    It's called "Internet Sharing" on wm6 and is supposedly a breeze to set up (according to other users here). It's either in programs or settings
  3.    #3  
    I answered my own questions - it is now the internet sharing applet.

All the best
    Wizbang
    I have been having problems with this Internet Sharing thingy. It works fine if i want to connect to the network providers web service, but if I need to dial a fixed PSTN number (ie for a work private network) I simply can't get it to work. I have trudged the net trying to find info on how the WM6 connections pages work, you know all that "My ISP" and "My work Network" stuff. Whenever I set up a connection, and it seems to dial it just stops and gives me an error message saying " connection could not be established for an unknown reason". I tried making it call my home number so i could see what sounds it makes and when answered you get a single tone, doesn't seem to want to work like a modem.? Any ideas, or places that might help me?
    Thanks,
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Give up - that's not what it's for. It is only "like a modem" for the purpose of how the PC talks to it. It isn't really a modem and won't work as one.
    I tried another way too, using BT and using WindowsXP do the dialling. XP could see the modem, i could do a query on it in the modem settings and it responded as it should, but when trying to dial with a dial up connection, just doesnt work.
    Hummf.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    As I said, the connection "looks like" a modem to the PC, in that it responds to the "AT" command set, etc. But it isn't a real modem and can't dial anything other than the special code to establish connection through the cellular network.

Besides, modems don't function well at all on a cellular connection, with its frequency limits, phase shifts and packet delays.
    Here's how I did (did the same thing when I had WM5):
    Right click on the computers bluetooth symbol
    Add new connection
    Custom mode
    Choose your phone in the list "Device Name"
    Under "Service Class" choose Dial-up Networking
    Wait while the modem is installed
    Click next, enter the phone number (in my case *99#)
    Finish
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Yes, but here the 99# is just a special code to connect to the cellular network. It can't be used to dial an external modem service.
    Sorry, I thought he just wanted to connect his computer to the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I tried another way too, using BT and using WindowsXP do the dialling. XP could see the modem, i could do a query on it in the modem settings and it responded as it should, but when trying to dial with a dial up connection, just doesnt work.
    Hummf.
    Maybe these folks can help:

http://www.anthavpn.com/webmaker/portal/wmlink_360
    http://www.anthavpn.com/webmaker/portal/wmlink_364

May be worth a shot to contact them...

PM