Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I successfully upgraded to WM6 last night and was disappointed that I am only getting Edge network speed. I had migrated from a 650 to the 750 and had taken the SIM card out of old device and put in the new one. This was the orange 64k smartchip that had 3G on the back of it.

    After speaking with AT&T support I was informed that the earlier SIM cards would not actually achieve the higher speeds. I contacted the AT&T Business Office and they will be replacing the card at no cost.

    If you experience the same issue you probably should call before going to the local AT&T retailer. If it is not handled correctly there is a $25 charge for SIM replacement.
  2. #2  
    I have the older Cingular 3G SIM and its worked fine under both the unofficial ATT WM6 ROM and now the official ROM. Just ran the speed test at dslreports.com/mspeed and got over 500 kbit/sec every time using a 1MB size test. I also use this SIM in my 3G Razr V3xx and achieve the same type speed. I think you are misinformed.
    Last edited by alamerican; 12/05/2007 at 12:54 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I had my old SIM replaced last evening with a new AT&T SIM. I am now getting HSDPA throughput.

    This info sharing is for those they may experience the same issue (ALAMERICAN excluded of course) with earlier generation SIM's.
  4. #4  
    Yeah, it is free, the AT&T guy replaced mine several months ago, for free. Why wouldn't you want to have a newer card, if it is free? And possibly faster?

    Also, turn off your AT&T proxy, for better speed.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rickykjames View Post
    I had my old SIM replaced last evening with a new AT&T SIM. I am now getting HSDPA throughput.

    This info sharing is for those they may experience the same issue (ALAMERICAN excluded of course) with earlier generation SIM's.
    well i guess we're both right then, so neither your post nor mine universally applies.
  6. umc
    umc is offline
    umc's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    #6  
    My card has the 3G on it as well so I'm assuming that is the old one and the reason I'm not getting the speeds I should. What is stored on the card? What should I be aware of (losing anything) if I switch?

    ETA: When I switch, not if, providing this takes care of the speed issue.
  7.    #7  
    As far as I know the only stored info is carrier information (cell number, etc.) and if you have stored any contact information to the SIM. I use Contacts from my Exchange server so did not have any additional information stored on mine.

    The AT&T rep that replaced my SIM did check before removing.

    Good luck and I hope this resolves your issue.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by umc View Post
    My card has the 3G on it as well so I'm assuming that is the old one and the reason I'm not getting the speeds I should. What is stored on the card? What should I be aware of (losing anything) if I switch?

    ETA: When I switch, not if, providing this takes care of the speed issue.
    My phone sometime reports that there are SMS messages on the SIM and ask if I wish to copy them to the phone. There may also be caller numbers stored on the SIM.

    A few years ago T-Mo sent me an upgraded SIM along with a little SIM reader-writer to clone the info on the old one to the new one.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  9. umc
    umc is offline
    umc's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    #9  
    Apparently I already have the latest card which is an ATT card (says ATT on it) but the part of this post that confused me was that my card says 3G on it in a little orange fireball.

    Apparently I'm not in a 3G area where I live and that's why I'm getting the slow speeds, I'll be heading to a different area tonight that is supposed to have the speeds to I'll test then.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by umc View Post
    Apparently I already have the latest card which is an ATT card (says ATT on it) but the part of this post that confused me was that my card says 3G on it in a little orange fireball.

    Apparently I'm not in a 3G area where I live and that's why I'm getting the slow speeds, I'll be heading to a different area tonight that is supposed to have the speeds to I'll test then.
    Let's face it. While they promote it very heavily, AT&T 3G coverage is still sparse. I was in NYC yesterday and EDGE coverage was poor. Local coverage trumps everything. For travelers, global coverage trumps everything else.

    My experience is that Sprint has the best 3G coverage.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  11. #11  
    i did a speed test just now through dslreports, 801kbps, i am using the old sim card...
  12. #12  
    I too am using the old SIM card, although I have a new one sitting around, and have just never switched. DSLreposts speed test (1mb test) showed me at 775kbits/sec, although last night it showed my speed at 850kps.

Posting Permissions