1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I've been a Palm user since the original Pilot, and am potentially at a crossroads. My Treo 650 is on its last legs, and I have to decide what to do next. If I stay with AT&T, my Palm choices are limited to the 680 and the 750.

First: I have no clue how WM works. For instance, am I correct to assume that there is no "Palm Desktop" with a WM phone?

Second: I have A LOT of data in my 650, and I don't want to lose it. Is there any way to transfer that to a WM phone like the 750?

Third: I use my 650 to keep two PC's synchronized, and it works perfectly. I remember in the old days, though, that I would often end up duplicating everything (i.e. two copies of every calendar entry, task, note, contact). Has anyone found that synchronizing one WM phone with two PC's causes (or does not cause) problems?

Fourth: Should I consider the 755P from Sprint? Advantages?

Finally: Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and my apologies for the wordy post.
    I had some experience with older WM PDA's so the 750 wasn't exactly foriegn to me when I switched over from the 680. I will offer one bit of advice if you do switch, be patient. I had been using a Palm based Treo for about two years when I switched and it took some time to get used to the 750. I was really tempted to go back to Palm after the first few days but stuck it out and haven't looked back.

It's tremendously more stable than the Palm OS. I was performing soft resets weekly with the 680 and may have to do a soft reset once every month or so with the 750.

Instead of Palm Desktop, you use Microsoft Outlook. The Today Screen on the 750 is really nice and gives you a one screen glance at everything from appointments to incoming messages to unread email notifications. I know Palm has third party programs that can do this but it's nice not to need so many third party apps.
    Coppertop can I add an additional question?

I have T650 that is now my mp3 player (only) since I've moved to turkey (mil). I've wanted to go back to WM because of not liking to have to buy all of the 3rd party apps etc, etc.

O.k. the question (clarification) is concerning using an unlocked GSM Treo (750) here in Turkey - I'll be here for 2yrs. Basically w/this phone I can buy a Turkish SIM card to use the phone. I'm not comfortable that I understand the particulars. 1) I've heard phone calls are cheaper (one way or the other) calling to/from OS/US. 2) A Sim card is only for phone calls and excludes text since you need a Data plan right?? 3) Best place to buy more "minutes" or "counters"? I found this site for $64 chip and a 750 for $487: http://www.ustronics.com/Turkey_SIM_Card.php

thx for input. v/r -g
  4. yud
    Hi Poiks,

I'm a Plam user myself and switched from TT3 to a WM device 11 months ago. For me the switch was a real shock to the system! Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of your questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Poiks View Post
    First: I have no clue how WM works. For instance, am I correct to assume that there is no "Palm Desktop" with a WM phone?
    WM is very similar to the Windows desktop OS and very very different to the Palm OS. The differences are to many to detail here...
    As for Palm Desktop: there is no such thing in the WM world. The entire sync process is handeled by ActiveSync, which should be the equivalent of HotSync, but in practice is the biggest piece of $%^& you ever came accress (and the poorest attempt by Microsoft to call $%^& "software").

Second: I have A LOT of data in my 650, and I don't want to lose it. Is there any way to transfer that to a WM phone like the 750?
    PIM data is easily transferred: if you sync your PIM with Palm Desktop you can run OutlookSwitcher.exe (found on your 650 CD) to switch your conduits to sync with OL. Sync your 650 with OL, then your 750 will get all your data on 1st sync.

As for apps: this gets more complicated as not all vendors have versions of their SW for Palm and WM. Those who do (such as Splash Data) will have procedures for migration. Those who don't... well... it depends on the app. Some have export facility... some don't...
    in short: it depends what data you want to x'fr. I strongly recommend you search each of your apps for migration.

Third: I use my 650 to keep two PC's synchronized, and it works perfectly. I remember in the old days, though, that I would often end up duplicating everything (i.e. two copies of every calendar entry, task, note, contact). Has anyone found that synchronizing one WM phone with two PC's causes (or does not cause) problems?
    I sync my 750 with 2 machines and generally speaking it's working well. Occassionally I get duplicates but not very often. Your biggest enemy here is ActiveSync and it's unpredictable behaviour.

Finally: Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and my apologies for the wordy post.
    Yes: prepare yourself for a different world. The OS is slower, much slower (there is even an equivalent of the "hour glass" to look at while you're waiting...) and is less stable than Palm OS. Closing apps does not really close them, they only disappear from view and keep running in the backgroung consuming resources. You will need frequent soft resets: I used to soft reset my TT3 once every couple of months, the Dopod 838 Pro 2-4 times a day (!) and the 750 is soft reset daily by the backup software (yes, backup of WM devices require a reset before and after... don't ask me why...). Occasionally I need to do another soft rest.
    ActiveSync is horrible: hardly any control over conduits (compared with HotSync), occassionally will not sync for no apparent reason, poor reporting, pathetic troubleshooting, every update to AS will create new partnership and will mess up your sync. A real heap of $%^&.

All in all, the 750 is better than any WM device I used, but it's not Palm OS. WM6 improved things quite a bit, but in my opinion it's still inferior to Palm OS. Be prepared and you'll enjoy your 750.

hope this helps...

Y.
    Last edited by yud; 12/10/2007 at 08:03 PM.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro