1.    #1  
    If you are considering the new Treo 500v smartphone from Palm, Tim Carroll of PalmInfocenter has a fairly long and comprehensive review of the new Windows Mobile device. The Treo 500v is designed as an entry-level smartphone running Windows Mobile. Like its Palm OS counterpart the Centro, it has its hits and misses.
    Read the rest of this entry treotoday.net/2007/11/26/treo-500v-review-a-soulless-smartphone/#more-1728

Thanks
    I have had a quick read of the, as you quite rightly point out, long review and I must say I disagree a bit with it. As an owner since it was released in the UK, hopefully I can shed some more light on this device. Infact, when I got mine it was so new that none of the staff in my local vodafone shop had played with one untill they unboxed it for me. Also I got mine free on a 12month 20pm contract which made it very affordable. In terms of being a palm or treo user, I'm not. Just a simple smartphone user. When I got mine I was looking at devices like nokia's e61i, the blackberrys and htc devices. I must say the 500v is the smallest and lightest out of the bunch and the easiest to use one handed. The nokia is incredibly thin but also incredibly wide. The keyboards on the backberrys aren't half as nice and htc devices are far too bulky. In terms of operation it works like most smartphones, does most things and is easy to use. True there is no wifi, but with 3g and the lack of free wifi spots in the UK its not an issue. No gps either but with a cheap bluetooth module and route66 software you get the same effect. All I can suggest is have a play, I found mine was sim unlocked so even at 240 for a sim free phone its a bargain on contract. I like it, you might too if you try one.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    For anyone looking, the full review is here.

Yes, it's a good review, but with an overly negative conclusion. He seems to be saying that while there isn't much wrong with the 500v, there isn't much right with it either.

I've used the 500v for a few weeks now, and I'm pleased. I gave up on my Treo 600 when it wouldn't sync with Vista. I've used a Nokia E61 since. When my company offered me a new Vodafone handset, I went for the 500v, and a few other people in my office have it too.

I can't see how it's 'soulless'. It does the job for me. Small, light and stylish. People rave about the smaller Centro, but the 500v looks the same except bigger - and more usable as a result. My only complaint is with the 1200mAh battery and short talktime.

The 500v is a stop-gap device before the 800w in my opinion. I think the 800w will hopefully tick all the boxes: WiFi, GPS, WM 6 Pro and a bigger battery.
    ^^ Stig;

My main beef with the 500v was that there's nothing unique about it. I quite enjoyed using it, but looking at it objectively there was nothing I could point to that made it a must-have purchase - hence the "soulless" remark.

In retrospect my conclusion could have been worded a little less harshly, but the sentiment stays the same: in a world where so many smartphones offer unique features or superior hardware specs the 500v just doesn't do enough to differentiate itself (carousel notwithstanding). IMHO.

That said, if you gave me one for free I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at it. And the camera puts my 680 to shame. Actually, not just shame. More like "utter humiliation"...

-Tim, palminfocenter
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    ^^ Stig;

My main beef with the 500v was that there's nothing unique about it. I quite enjoyed using it, but looking at it objectively there was nothing I could point to that made it a must-have purchase - hence the "soulless" remark.

In retrospect my conclusion could have been worded a little less harshly, but the sentiment stays the same: in a world where so many smartphones offer unique features or superior hardware specs the 500v just doesn't do enough to differentiate itself (carousel notwithstanding). IMHO.

That said, if you gave me one for free I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at it. And the camera puts my 680 to shame. Actually, not just shame. More like "utter humiliation"...

-Tim, palminfocenter
    If one is just looking at the Treo range (me being in Singapore). Treo 500v offers at least a decent 3G cellular and a more compact and smarter form factor from the convention Treos that we have been having, okay I am comparing this with PalmOS. 750 have 3.5G, but not as good a camera and still the dated (but effective) form factor.

The only regret is the nearly brain-dead WM6Std, but as I am not power user, I could live with the brain-deadness for awhile.

Compared to other phones of similar make in the market, i.e wm6sp.. most of them have at least wifi and a good interface. However I felt that in that range 500v's form factor still makes that cut as the most comfortable. Its regretable that treo did not include the rocker switch and wifi with 500v, this could just make it more popular. The closest I can think of is Asus phone, but then we know 500v was ODM from Asus!

However, if we compare it with all other phones out there..yeah I agree, its hardly impressive enough to make a buy.

Hence, my main reason to get a 500v was for its 3G, apart from a slightly better camera and the upgraded from factor.. and only because palm had refused to put 3G on palmOS

But I guess I could leave with my 500v for the while