Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I feel like I've hit the wall with using this device. I've tweaked and prodded, installed, uninstalled, and re-installed so many different apps to find my magic combo of functionality and user interface, and I just don't know what else I can do. I played with a relative's iPhone yesterday, and although it can't do all the things my Treo can, the things it does, it does WELL. But I don't feel like switching. Well, kind of, because it would be a whole new nut to crack.

But does anyone feel like they're ready to move on? And if so, what specifically are you thinking about? Leaving WM entirely? Or trading up to a different device in the family? If not, what are you doing that affirms your Treo love?

I thought I would never tire of this little gal, but I knew that I was kidding myself too... I always do...

Thoughts?
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I think there are somethings imo that the iPhone does well that WM does not, and I feel the same would be true on any WM device. However I do feel the same way you do with the rest of the issues. I have been looking at the Sprint Mogul more and more lately but have not committed to anything yet.

My biggest issue with the Treo is the screen size. Im used to it but with the offerings currently out I would prefer a bit more. The stability on the Treo is excellent for me and I think that is the reason I have not left it behind just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    I feel like I've hit the wall with using this device. I've tweaked and prodded, installed, uninstalled, and re-installed so many different apps to find my magic combo of functionality and user interface, and I just don't know what else I can do. I played with a relative's iPhone yesterday, and although it can't do all the things my Treo can, the things it does, it does WELL. But I don't feel like switching. Well, kind of, because it would be a whole new nut to crack.

But does anyone feel like they're ready to move on? And if so, what specifically are you thinking about? Leaving WM entirely? Or trading up to a different device in the family? If not, what are you doing that affirms your Treo love?

I thought I would never tire of this little gal, but I knew that I was kidding myself too... I always do... Thoughts?
    I don't tire of my Treo, because first and foremost its a tool that I use and the tool still works. Secondly its a hobbie as a device.
    at&t iPhone3G

I thought I would never tire of this little gal, but I knew that I was kidding myself too... I always do...

Thoughts?
    I couldn't say it better than you just did. I've had a succession of Treos since the 300, and I've grown accustomed to the hard keys. But I'd love a thinner form factor, and higher resolution.

Still, the must-have, killer app for my 700wx is SlingPlayer. That and Sirius keep the phone vital for me.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I have switched from the Treo. I now have the i-760 but I don't think I will stay with this one. THe battery life is sh*t. I want the battery life of my Treo but there are alot of nice things about the WM 6 that I am liking. Why can't we have both.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  6.    #6  
    You know, it really is more a WM issue than a Treo issue, because I still do like the form factor. I guess the limitations of the screen resolution, how app switching and memory are handled, and just basic operations in general are the problems for me. I think I want a more fluid user experience, and I'd be willing to give up some things for the bigger picture, I guess.
    END OF LINE
    I wish Palm would come out with a big *** screened phone equal to the ipod. if no such thing by palm is here by dec 2008, I'm leaving for iphone, meizu M8 or whatever is the best value.
    I've moved on from my Treo 700wx. Wanted something smaller and lighter, so I switched to a Sprint Touch. And I absolutely love it. It took me quite awhile to find the right on-screen keyboard to suite my taste, but other than losing a hardware keyboard...everything else about it is great for me. Much more stable and faster than my old Treo.

I think I will have to order a larger battery though, as it doesn't last quite as long as the Treo did. I was going to wait for the 800w, but after playing with the Touch at the Sprint store, that's what sold me....

9.    #9  
    Holy crap. That looks awesome. I've never actually seen them side by side. Is it much narrower (thickness) - it looks that way...

I still don't want to lose my hardware, though... (grumble)

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what kind of keyboard did you end up going with?

(In case I find myself making the jump...)
    END OF LINE
    Holy crap. That looks awesome. I've never actually seen them side by side. Is it much narrower (thickness) - it looks that way...

I still don't want to lose my hardware, though... (grumble)

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what kind of keyboard did you end up going with?

(In case I find myself making the jump...)
    Here's a couple of thickness shots for you.

So far I'm going with the PocketCM Keyboard with the latest iPhone skin revision. It was either that or Touchpal. The stock HTC XT9 is good for those people who are used to T9 on a mobile phone. I liked it...but wanted a full qwerty keyboard.
    Last edited by Tranman; 12/06/2007 at 07:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I was feeling that after a year with the 700w and now a year with the 700wx, it was indeed time for a change. But I can't personally find anything I like. My wife got a new Blackberry from her work. I can't stand that thing (I had 3 of them in the past). Feels like ping pong paddle . I borrowed a Mogul from a friend. It seemed like a nice toy, but not a device I could use as easily one handed. I also found that in a fringe area, where we spend a good bit of time in the winter, the Mogul could get data, but it couldn't make a call. The Treo could do both (and calls can be quite important).

Are we just wanting something new, or are our 700wx's truly outdated? Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    Are we just wanting something new, or are our 700wx's truly outdated? Sigh.
    I think this is just a side-effect of having your device as a hobby in addition to it doing a job...

It is nice to switch up once in awhile and try something different--I often go back to the Moto Q when I'm bored. Recently I've used the Centro which also have the benefit of a "different" OS to play around with in addition to hardware.

But really, this comes down to just getting bored with a working product. It's not like WM6 really adds that much to the experience here, neither would taking away a keyboard.

A lot of this clamoring for new hardware is just that--boredom. But if it still makes/takes calls, gets email...not much else is out there. It's not like Kaiser users are experiencing the world in a whole new light

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I got the itch and felt the need for a bigger screen, too.
    I found a nearly-new Mogul on Craigslist, and bought it. I kept the 700Wx, too.
    I did an ESN swap with Sprint, and I was using the Mogul for about a month and I really like it. But...just yesterday I swapped back to the Treo for a while.
    I think the Treo is a better business phone for my lifestyle (in court, in car, lots of one-handed usage), while the Mogul is best for PPC stuff--games, internet, reading RSS feeds, GPS.

Since the Mogul has wifi, and since I have a network at home, I am temporarily using it for night and weekend stuff, while the Treo is my current work phone.

Both phone's sync with my Exchange Server, so they stay current too.

I have a BT earpiece (Plantronic 510) which works fine on both phones, so it's a pretty easy thing to go back and forth.

And, having two screen sizes and both a WM6 and a WM5 device is great for software beta testing and for keeping my technology-lust at bay a bit.

All in all, I'm ok for now, but lucky my wife let's me keep two phones.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  14.    #14  
    Mal - yr absolutely right. It's total boredom. But for people like us for whom day-to-day life = phone obsession, boredom = death. Which is what got me started thinking about the whole thing. I think I may pick up a Touch, and give my mom my Treo eventually, because she's been eyeing it, but not before I try out airibis' sick skin.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my phone, but my feelings on how I use it change too often to be consistent. I think I may go your route and have a few phones I switch between. Does Sprint give you much of a hard time swapping ESNs that often or is it no big deal?
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think this is just a side-effect of having your device as a hobby in addition to it doing a job...

A lot of this clamoring for new hardware is just that--boredom.

I think you're totally right. There's nothing wrong with this device. And there's nothing I want it to do that it doesn't do. I've got it so customized from the hacks and Mortscript apps available here on TC that I almost don't want to even think about starting over (although I would, of course!). I need a new toy. I bought a sat phone off eBay, but I'm not activating it 'til next spring. Thus, it's a big paperweight at the moment (a REALLY big paperweight). I think I'll tackle the task of replacing all the lighting on the boat with LEDs. That'll keep my mind off my phone for a while!
  16.    #16  
    And Tranman - thx for the shots... they were drool-worthy... I think I have some decision making to do tomorrow morning. As in do I swing by the Sprint store or not.
    END OF LINE
    Mal - yr absolutely right. It's total boredom. But for people like us for whom day-to-day life = phone obsession, boredom = death. Which is what got me started thinking about the whole thing. I think I may pick up a Touch, and give my mom my Treo eventually, because she's been eyeing it, but not before I try out airibis' sick skin.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my phone, but my feelings on how I use it change too often to be consistent. I think I may go your route and have a few phones I switch between. Does Sprint give you much of a hard time swapping ESNs that often or is it no big deal?
    My advice: skip the Touch.

The Touch is a fine WM6 device and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it and not bored at all...for about 2 weeks

Honestly, take away your keyboard and give yourself a slight bigger screen--there you go, a Touch. There is no software it has that you cannot already do on the 700wx--including all the TouchFLO stuff, as I'm sure you know. So outside of adding 2 extra plugins on the Today screen, I'm not really sure how much it will hold your interest.

If you want to stay with Sprint: try the Moto Q9c or (gasp) a Centro.

The Moto has full GPS in it and will give you that "smartphone" experience, including learning Homescreens and adds a whole new level to being a Hobbyist. Plus it's a pretty sweet phone.

The Centro is the same: great device and for myself, playing with PalmOS and re-learning all the apps is just as much fun now as it was with a 650--except the Centro's hardware is actually top notch now.

But either device will alleviate your OS/Hardware boredom for quite some time--and it will feel great to come back to say....the 800w...in a couple of months.

Just food for thought Either way, keep us updated on what you do actually decide!

18.    #18  
    Good advice, Mal. The only reason I was looking at the Touch was because I've tried to set up my phone for easy one handed touch use in the car, to go between music, email, texts, picture dialer, and GPS, and I thought a bigger screen and touchy-ness would help with that.

I've often thought of going the Moto smartphone route, because I've played with Qs and kind of liked them, although I never liked the tactile sensation of the buttons as much. It would be fun as a hobby, though, which is a state of mind I never entertained... although I've obviously embraced it...

I think what I will likely end up doing is sticking it out for the 800w and ripping this thing to bits when airibis gets his skin done.

And possibly picking something up in the meantime. You better believe I'll be talking about it if I do...
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Yea kinda bored with the Treo. AT&T plans on going 3G soon (I think the rumor is May). So the iPhone is probably in my future. Plus I get an apple discount Downside to the iPhone; No email attachments besides audio files...

Don't get me wrong, the WX is superior to most devices out there as far as functionality. The youtube hack, Sprint TV (lol), DUN, battery life, one-hand use, etc. I just think its time for something new.... Like the iPhone...

EDIT: The visual voicemail on the iPhone is a feature that kinda grabbed me...
    Last edited by WarDogg; 12/07/2007 at 09:47 AM.
    And possibly picking something up in the meantime. You better believe I'll be talking about it if I do...
    You need to embrace the Dieter Bohn WM System of Pure Happiness™

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast