1.    #1  
    With the never ending saga of the wm6 release for the 750, I went window shopping for alternatives to the 750 today and was surprised at at least one device I tinkered with.

The Moto Q9 is just tooo wide for my taste and the BlackJack II just doesn't feel right as well. I like the feel of the Blackberry Curve but hate that I'd have to pay more for email/internet access.

The one device that was pleasantly surprising was the Tilt. It's just a hair thinner that the 750 and a touch thicker. The screen is larger than the Treo and seems brighter. The sliding keyboard would take some getting used to and dialing as well. WM6 looks really nice and I hate dumping the 750 without seeing how well it works with WM6.

Feel wise, I like the Curve best. However, the Tilt would be more compatible and wouldn't call for any increase in service cost. Another thing about the Blackjack and Q9 is that it looks as though they use a chopped down version of WM6. A draw back in my opinion.

Has anyone jumped ship from the 750 to the Tilt? Any regrets? Any problems with the sliding keyboard? How's the phone app? Enough volume? Signal strength ok?

I think I'm going to give ATT another week and then start to seriously look elsewhere. It's a shame that there's at least three devices with a more current version of WM in the ATT lineup and another one (the 750) available to their business customers. It's not as if my 750 is lacking but just doesn't make sense why others can enjoy the upgrade and retail 750 users can't.

Yes... I know there a "unofficial" version out there but I have never been comfortable using something along those lines and to be honest, I'd get lost during the installation. Wizards are such nice tools.
    I tried the Tilt for 2 days and really didn't like it! It wasn't user friendly like my Treo 750 that I flashed with WM6. I too was affraid to make the jump, but WM5 out of the box was terrible. WM6 on the Treo made the Treo a totally different phone! Its faster and easier to use, plus it works great with my Audi's bluetooth, something that was a huge problem with WM5.

I know there are a few Treo users out there that jumped to the Tilt, but they modified the Tilt so it would be easier to use like the Treo! In my opinion stay with the Treo and do the update now or wait for the "Official Release".

Good Luck,
    DrB
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    Try the Q9h - it's actually really nice. Coming from the 750 I thought going to the Smartphone edition would be a HUGE drop, but really it's not -- I don't use the touchscreen very often except when programs aren't written well enough to use the buttons.
    The Tilt rules, go for it if you get too impatient!! It has everything.

ATT is too slow with their updates though. Looks like they're the last on the block! Everyone else has gotten their updates, even retail versions over seas!! Maybe you should wait until January, if nothing then, get something else!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The biggest thing for me regarding the tilt is the slide out keyboard. I had an 8125 and moved to the 750 as I could not stand having to rotate my phone and slide out the keyboard everytime I wanted to send a text or email. I know it has the on screen keyboard but that is just too slow. If you can live with that then I say go for it. The nice thing is that the tilt also has wifi. I contemplated going to the tilt, a guy at work has one and after playing with it for a few minutes I decided against it.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update
    I had switched to the Tilt, and had it for a week. No matter how hard I tried I could not get used to using the slide out keyboard. The 750 is truly a one handed phone. There was no ways I could use the Tilt with one hand. In addition to that, the customization that Palm has done to WM for the Treo is incredible especially when you are using a device that does not have those neat short cuts and conveniences. I have never been so happy to get back to my Treo after returning the Tilt. I must confess that I do use WM6 and could not be happier. True I miss not having the WiFi and GPS but the benefits of the 750 far outweigh those inconveniences for now.
    Treo 270, 600, 650, 700p, 750v
    JMO and no offense meant, but I don't understand how people complain about the keyboard so much when they should already know how it is before buying the device. I never try using the 8525's(Tilt's older brother) keyboard one handed because I knew I couldn't do it effectively beforehand. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it's a two-handed keyboard and people have to know that just by looking at those types of devices! As soon as I pulled out a display, I knew it wasn't one-handed. I think they're both good phones in their own right. The 750 is just easier to carry, that's all. Sure the shortcuts help, but I'm so used to WM anyway, I can effectively use the big guys too.

You should know beforehand if you can deal with widescreen and slide out keyboards regularly or not. If not, then don't try the Tilt, because you'll probably end up not liking it anyway.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm a Palm OS guy (still looking all the time, however but my wife got a 750 a couple weeks ago. The first thing I did was re-flash it with WM 6. Keep in mind I'd NEVER used a WM phone or pda and had it done in about 20 minutes. It's that easy - don't be afraid of it, just read through the directions carefully. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

I was impressed enough with the 750 that I went out and got a Tilt. Used it for 3 days almost non-stop. Tried out of the box, tried it "Tweak Your Tilt" style, and returned it. I found it to be way slower than the 750. The screen is 19% bigger according to my calculations - not enough to entice me to keep it. It's a solid build, but I just couldn't deal with the slowness, delays, lags, etc. I played with others - it's not the unit - they're all the same. From what I can tell the 750 is the best implementation of WM 6. I'd like to try it now with something a little more intuitive like SBP Mobile Shell. For now, though, the addition of 3G isn't enough get me away from Palm OS. Besides that WM and POS are pretty similar in capabilities if you have enough 3rd party stuff, which I do after being with Palm for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post

Has anyone jumped ship from the 750 to the Tilt? Any regrets? Any problems with the sliding keyboard? How's the phone app? Enough volume? Signal strength ok?

Yes... I know there a "unofficial" version out there but I have never been comfortable using something along those lines and to be honest, I'd get lost during the installation. Wizards are such nice tools.
    You might not have been shutting down programs manually. The one main drawback of WM is that it doesn't always close programs, but leaves them open to drain memory in the background. Plus all ATT ROMs are bloated with crap not everyone wants to use, so that helps slow down the system too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You might not have been shutting down programs manually. The one main drawback of WM is that it doesn't always close programs, but leaves them open to drain memory in the background. Plus all ATT ROMs are bloated with crap not everyone wants to use, so that helps slow down the system too.
    I was closing them down. I used Magic Button for a bit, but also just went in and shut them down with the Memory Manager. I also stripped all the ATT stuff using the hack posted in WMExperts "Tweak Your Tilt" article. Still pretty sluggish. It wasn't so sluggish it seemed broken, it is just a far cry from the general snappiness of Palm OS. It felt more like opening and closing programs on my laptop. Great device, just not for me I guess. It's a big jump from a totally customized and optimized Palm OS phone to a every-feature WM phone. There has to be some give to get all that functionality, and I guess it was just too much give for me.
    I come from a HTC Wizard (slide out keyboard) and now I have a Treo 750. At the first time I missed the Wizard larger screen, but later the 750 with WM6 won by far.

My suggestion is that don't be afraid to upgrade NOW!!! to WM6 (ATT leaked ROM behaves like a final version, no problems at all) Go ahead, you won't be disappointed and better of all, you will safe a lot of $$$.
    Cingular 8125 with WM6 TNT WM 6.1
    Treo 750 with Official AT&T WM6
    Not much out there right now that I would actually want to replace my 750 with. After 7+ years of using WM, I am at the point of actually wanting to try another platform. The WM offerings are pretty slim as far as I am concerned. I don't want a side-slider (aka TyTn II) and I want to stay with ATT. The Touch family looked pretty interesting, however, the 400mhz and 3G version is only available for CDMA and the Touch Dual is not even US compliant.

I think I will be in a holding pattern for now. I will give serious consideration to a 3g iPhone (and by that time there should be some 3rd party apps) and I also give serious consideration to the S60 platform and devices like the N95 and even the up-coming s60 touch device.

Plus all ATT ROMs are bloated with crap not everyone wants to use, so that helps slow down the system too.
    That's not necessarily true. Most of the ATT bloatware are url links and maybe some apps that don't even run in RAM unless you manually run them. I am running the WM6 update and the bloatware I have doesn't affect device performance at all.
    Last edited by JGold; 12/02/2007 at 06:46 PM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)