Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Saw this on a website and thought it maybe the reason why we don't see WM6.

http://www.infoweek.ca/index.php?pag...emart&vmcchk=1

Microsoft rumoured to release a Windows Mobile update
    Posted Friday , November 30, 2007

by Elena Malykhina

Although there aren't many details currently available, word on the street is that Microsoft has previewed an update to its smartphone operating system, Windows Mobile 6, to the lucky few attending the annual Mobius conference.

The first report I read came from Engadget this morning, stating that it's an "update, not an upgrade" running on existing hardware. Manufacturers will be able to get their hands on the new software in the first quarter of next year. Here are some of Engadget's preliminary (and vaguely put) impressions:

Very slick, and has a lot of features that just about any WinMo user will agree is way overdue. In other words, we're expecting users will be stoked -- no doubt about it.

The update isn't Windows Mobile 7, dubbed by Microsoft as "Photon," which also is expected to be released next year and said to be powered by Windows Embedded CE 6.0.

Sorry, folks, that's all I know for now. Details will surface in the near future, likely at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show taking place in Las Vegas in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Saw this on a website and thought it maybe the reason why we don't see WM6.

http://www.infoweek.ca/index.php?pag...emart&vmcchk=1

Microsoft rumoured to release a Windows Mobile update
    Posted Friday , November 30, 2007

by Elena Malykhina

Although there aren't many details currently available, word on the street is that Microsoft has previewed an update to its smartphone operating system, Windows Mobile 6, to the lucky few attending the annual Mobius conference.

The first report I read came from Engadget this morning, stating that it's an "update, not an upgrade" running on existing hardware. Manufacturers will be able to get their hands on the new software in the first quarter of next year. Here are some of Engadget's preliminary (and vaguely put) impressions:

Very slick, and has a lot of features that just about any WinMo user will agree is way overdue. In other words, we're expecting users will be stoked -- no doubt about it.

The update isn't Windows Mobile 7, dubbed by Microsoft as "Photon," which also is expected to be released next year and said to be powered by Windows Embedded CE 6.0.

Sorry, folks, that's all I know for now. Details will surface in the near future, likely at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show taking place in Las Vegas in January.
    As I said earlier, you don't see WM6 because it is at ATT waiting for cert. It has nothing to do with Palm. Expect it next week.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    As I said earlier, you don't see WM6 because it is at ATT waiting for cert. It has nothing to do with Palm. Expect it next week.
    Man I hope your right but I fear the worst.
    In Geological time Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Soon does mean 6months to 2 years.
    Was that the "next week" we've been hearing about for months? Or is it the "next week" that's just around the corner? Or the "next week" that is in the que?

Does any know if Vegas has a line on the release? It might be more accurate than anything else that's floating around.
    Quote Originally Posted by driazen View Post
    Man I hope your right but I fear the worst.
    Fear the worst? Life would end without an authorized copy of WM6 on your Treo?

As for insidr getting it right "this time" after so many of his previous predictions, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    As for insidr getting it right "this time" after so many of his previous predictions, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
    Palm released this a month ago when they said they were going to. That's what I knew at the time. ATT found a showstopper bug that had to be corrected. I have intentionally not posted speculative info.

I only report on information I have. At least I'm not a dickwad like you who sits around and complains with no information or knowledge.
    Palm released this a month ago when they said they were going to. That's what I knew at the time. ATT found a showstopper bug that had to be corrected. I have intentionally not posted speculative info.

I only report on information I have. At least I'm not a dickwad like you who sits around and complains with no information or knowledge.
    Man, I wish every other forum around the planet that has people whining about their “entitlement” to WM 6 would understand that sentence.
    No. Just highly inaccurate, unconfirmed intentions rather than digging deep enough to draw out the hardcore truth to know that your 'info' could be banked upon.

One thing you've accurately confirmed. You have no filter on your brain.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Fear the worst? Life would end without an authorized copy of WM6 on your Treo?

No it wouldn't be worse by a long shot, since the original announcement that it was coming I've lost 2 grandparents, had major stresses at work, gone through more illnesses with my kids than I can count, had my wife try to spend me into bankruptcy, and overall lost good relations with half my extended family. So no life wouldn't be worse, but can't a man hope for something good for a change?

Man, I wish every other forum around the planet that has people whining about their “entitlement” to WM 6 would understand that sentence.
    I also don't feel or think I'm entitled to a WM6 update, what I do feel is that I am entitled to an official fix to the SD card dropping issue, which I and many others have been informed by Palm can only be acquired through WM6. I could give 2 ****s less about the other things. Hell if they had released an SD card fix like the audio alerts one, WM6 could never be shipped I could care less.
    Last edited by driazen; 11/30/2007 at 01:39 PM.
    In Geological time Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Soon does mean 6months to 2 years.
    No. Just highly inaccurate, unconfirmed intentions rather than digging deep enough to draw out the hardcore truth to know that your 'info' could be banked upon.

One thing you've accurately confirmed. You have no filter on your brain.
    As I said, just reporting the best information available at the time. I don't suggest that anyone "bank upon" anything. I get lots of info and filter it before I post. Unlike a dickwad like you who has nothing to say except "Oh WAH WAH, why can't those meanies give me what I want now". I've read your posts complaining about Palm, and laugh because it's out of their hands. I reported on this while you were busy whining, so you might have missed it.
    I have a pretty good filter. You're the only person I've ever called a dickwad on any forum.
    As I said, just reporting the best information available at the time. I don't suggest that anyone "bank upon" anything. I get lots of info and filter it before I post.
    At least you're on-record for being a person not terribly close enough to a real decision-maker to matter.

Unlike a dickwad like you who has nothing to say except "Oh WAH WAH, why can't those meanies give me what I want now".
    Never offered such a sentiment which sheds more light on you than on your intended target.

I've read your posts complaining about Palm, and laugh because it's out of their hands. I reported on this while you were busy whining, so you might have missed it.
    I have a pretty good filter. You're the only person I've ever called a dickwad on any forum.
    I'm not one to chronically slam the company, here or anywhere. However, I've shared a couple of sentiments about Palm's inability to get out of its own way well enough to better understand the real playing field it belongs to. May God forgive me. There are plenty here who do, yet you don't waste the stress on your fingertips typing about that, now do you? And your 'reporter's filter' seems to be failing you yet again. Maybe it's overdue for an upgrade?
    I also don't feel or think I'm entitled to a WM6 update, what I do feel is that I am entitled to an official fix to the SD card dropping issue, which I and many others have been informed by Palm can only be acquired through WM6. I could give 2 ****s less about the other things. Hell if they had released an SD card fix like the audio alerts one, WM6 could never be shipped I could care less.
    I wasn't directing that at you, I was simply stating in a not so direct way my frustration with other forums and there members who state things like: Oh, they're not going to release this until some new phone arrives, or: It would be cheaper for ATT or Palm (pick your poison) to release this later. Things like that, whether they know anything or not. I truly understand your frustration with the SD card issue, I too am afflicted with that, um... inconvenience. My point is, there are a lot of individuals out there who actually do feel entitled to this update for whatever reason, and it is they that frustrate the hell out of me.

Sorry
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Whoa, these two adjacent threads are getting way out of hand. Are some of you really that worked up? Are you also prone to road rage? I was going to use that infamous quote from Los Angeles in the early '90s but.............

You guys need to take a breath. I also bought the CNG 750 in Feb on promises of an upgrade(yes, I learned my lesson) but come on!! I have a close friend that was just diagnosed with brain cancer this morning - keep things in perspective.
    No it wouldn't be worse by a long shot, since the original announcement that it was coming I've lost 2 grandparents, had major stresses at work, gone through more illnesses with my kids than I can count, had my wife try to spend me into bankruptcy, and overall lost good relations with half my extended family. So no life wouldn't be worse, but can't a man hope for something good for a change?
    Here's to a brighter '08. Hang in there.
    Comments redacted based on apology below.....
    Last edited by coppertop; 11/30/2007 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    With comments like that, you're letting everyone know that you are the dickwad who mistakenly thinks he has information or knowledge.

A$$wipe.
    Bad week. Shouldn't have taken it out on Forum members. Apologies to all. No one's a dickwad.
    Bad week. Shouldn't have taken it out on Forum members. Apologies to all. No one's a dickwad.
    Don't feel bad insidr. Lifes 2 Short seems to make a habit of being critical of those whose opinions differ from his/hers.

This is a forum and there is no prerequisite to post here. Clearly, it is reasonable to assume there will be speculation regularly posted here.

I don't see why anyone would be amazed to see that some feel slighted because a promised HSDPA upgrade and a SD card issue that have been "in the works" for nearly a year now has not been released yet.

If Lifes 2 short doesn't care than oh well but many others do feel they should at least have those fixes by now--which Palm/ATT decided to fix only through their WM6 upgrade/update.

I am amazed that more has not been made of this issue than the posts we see here. Too bad.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  18. agi
    I was just at the corporate ATT store and wanted to "buy" Treo 750 with Windows Mobile 6 on it but was told they do not have any and the update will come out on December 8th. I know people here will start bashing me but I thought you would like to know.

FYI only.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    So that first post in this thread was in reference to the first service pack for WM6 (AKU1 or 6.1). Wouldn't it be just ironic if other phones came out with WM 6.1 before the Treo got 6.0? I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case at this point in time.
    Handspring Visor -> Visor Edge -> Visor Neo -> Palm Treo 650 -> Treo 700wx -> Treo 750
    I guess I like their stuff....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Don't feel bad insidr. Lifes 2 Short seems to make a habit of being critical of those whose opinions differ from his/hers.

This is a forum and there is no prerequisite to post here. Clearly, it is reasonable to assume there will be speculation regularly posted here.

I don't see why anyone would be amazed to see that some feel slighted because a promised HSDPA upgrade and a SD card issue that have been "in the works" for nearly a year now has not been released yet.

If Lifes 2 short doesn't care than oh well but many others do feel they should at least have those fixes by now--which Palm/ATT decided to fix only through their WM6 upgrade/update.

I am amazed that more has not been made of this issue than the posts we see here. Too bad.
    You've certainly succeeded in negating the bit of class that insidr showed 4 posts above.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast