Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Will you all stop fighting with eachother and download the only ROM you're gonna' want on your phone (even after the AT&T release really comes out).

Why wait for an AT&T branded update when the unbranded is ready and available for AT&T and Cingular users? The AT&T update (if it ever comes out) will have crap software that just weighs down your 750, screw that. I couldn't be happier with my unbranded update on my AT&T 750.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...d-13690-4.html
    I'd be more than happy with the unbranded version and the warranty issues don't concern me that much.

What does concern me is getting the darn thing on the 750 without the phone turning into a doorstop. How hard is it to install the 'unofficial update' on a ATT/Cingular branded phone?

I've flashed Palm OS and other system but it only entailed inserting a memory card with the update on it and running the .exe program. Is it that simple?
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I'd be more than happy with the unbranded version and the warranty issues don't concern me that much.

What does concern me is getting the darn thing on the 750 without the phone turning into a doorstop. How hard is it to install the 'unofficial update' on a ATT/Cingular branded phone?

I've flashed Palm OS and other system but it only entailed inserting a memory card with the update on it and running the .exe program. Is it that simple?
    It's easier to flash than the Palm, and you don't risk bricking the phone. I would recommend the AU3 version over the ROW version. I have tried all the flavors, including the ATT. I've flashed using the desktop .exe method and using the SD card. Here are my observations:

The SD card method does not update the version numbering, but that has no effect on the update's completion.
    The ATT version has lots of extra junk on it, links to ATT partners, etc. It works fine, but I don't want a lot of extras.
    The RWE (ROW) version seems to get into a carrier search mode for a long time and has to be reset to become reliable again.
    Tha AU3 version has no extras, and seems to find carrier faster and more reliably. I hate their silly "3" when you turn the phone on and off, but that's the only time you have to see it.

The SD card method is the easiest. Just format a miniSD card, copy the Cheeimg.nbh file, hold the button and let the process go. The desktop method requires a simple edit of the packages file so that it will be fooled into thinking your Treo is the right flavor. Both methods end up with the same install.

If you don't like it, or if you have a warranty issue, you can always re-flash back to WM5 with no risk.
    Well... here's a silly question. Where do you find these jewels?
    Here's a link to get you started.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=335402

You'll need to search around for mirrors for ATT and WM5. xda has lots of threads on this topic.
    Here's a link to a WM5 ROM

http://www.mediamax.com/insidr/Hosted/Treo750%20WM5.zip
    Okay guys listen to what I'm saying. What I've done is take the Official WM6 Update for the unbranded Treo 750 from Palm and made three new flavors that work on all Treo 750's (well actually only the AT&T and Cingular branded versions, but I could make it for Rogers and others if you give me your version numbers). So before I detail the three let me explain:

I have not, in any way, shape or form moded the ROM binaries
    I have not, in any way, shape or form moded the setup binaries

What I've done is the following:

To get the miniSD card bootloader method:
    - I found the ROM image in the setup files was called CHEEIMG_FW.nbh
    - I took the CHEEIMG_FW.nbh and renamed it to CHEEIMG.nbh
    - Then I copied it to a freshly (FAT32) formatted miniSD card
    - I inserted the card in my Treo 750 and rebooted into the bootloader with the 750 only connected to the charger
    - Everything worked great except it didn’t update the SW version number (although it truly had been updated)

The other two flavors:
    Because of the SW version number issue I decided to dive a little deeper and realized to make the setup wizard work, all I had to do is change one of the setup wizard’s configuration files to except phone’s with SW #’s ending with ATT (or CNG for Cingular). I went a little further and made sure that it installed on phones that had FW versions that already used the bootloader ROM I gave out (otherwise it would quit saying you already have the update).

The only other problems that occurred was when users began the setup wizard it would start doing its thing and when it restarted the phone into the bootloader, the setup wizard would time out waiting for Windows to install the bootloader drivers. So I instructed everyone to get all the drivers installed first then run the wizard.
    All that means is to connect the Treo to your PC and boot into the bootloader mode, let windows install the bootloader drivers and double check that they are okay in device manager. Some had seen that in the bootloader mode, device manager didn’t recognize it and they had to double click the device in device manager and click update drivers, then tell windows to search automatically (and allow windows to check the internet).

There’s an ongoing post at Everything Treo for this. Please do not post your email’s here, as I’ve decided only to use this one post for distribution. As you could imagine I’m getting a crapload of requests, so going on more than one post would be overwhelming.

Even in unsuccessful attempts, no one ended up with a bricked phone or damage in any way, at least not reported to me.

Read the posts:
    http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...d-13690-4.html

My Treo 750 AT&T Branded versions as follows:

Software Version: TREO750-2.23-ATT
    Hardware Version: A
    Serial: PRWxxxxxxxUV
    Firmware Version: 1.54.00.00
    CC-Cap: GEN-ENG-005

Those last two links, with all due respect (I know people get heated in this bulletin), are links to moded binaries and betas. If you feel comfortable with those, go ahead and use ‘em, I did when they first came out. But nothing has been as good as this unbranded release from Palm. My Treo is faster than ever and doesn’t have any AT&T added software or branding. When the final AT&T release comes out, I don’t think I’ll end up using it. Why should I? So I can have a link on my phone for Good Mobile (which is just a sorry attempt at Exchange) that can’t be removed, or maybe it’s the shopping for ring tones links that I want?

I’m using this update now, and drive my 750 hard. I use every feature, including:

Exchange 2007 Connection (and all the features thereof)
    Internet Connection Sharing
    MMS and TXT’s
    Internet Radio streaming with Media Player
    TomTom GPS software (with generic BT GPS receiver)

Or maybe this tidbit will interest you:
    I have the $20 unlimited PDA connect plan with AT&T for data to my 750. When I tried to use my 750 with my laptop to connect to the internet, it wouldn’t let me (I had to upgrade to the $40 laptop connect plan). With the new unbranded update on the phone, it works! $20 unlimited data at HSDPA speeds for both my phone and laptop (using Bluetooth PAN on ICS).
    Last edited by trueluck3; 12/02/2007 at 11:00 AM.
  8. nrw
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    FYI...can't get this....

The file you're attempting to access from a free MediaMax account exceeds the single-file limit of 10MB.

To access this file, please ask the account owner to upgrade the account. There are no file size limitations on Premium, Elite, or Professional plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrw View Post
    FYI...can't get this....

The file you're attempting to access from a free MediaMax account exceeds the single-file limit of 10MB.

To access this file, please ask the account owner to upgrade the account. There are no file size limitations on Premium, Elite, or Professional plans.
    Dude, read my post above. I'm running a post for the real update from Palm at everythingtreo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by trueluck3 View Post
    Or maybe this tidbit will interest you:
    I have the $20 unlimited PDA connect plan with AT&T for data to my 750. When I tried to use my 750 with my laptop to connect to the internet, it wouldnít let me (I had to upgrade to the $40 laptop connect plan). With the new unbranded update on the phone, it works! $20 unlimited data at HSDPA speeds for both my phone and laptop (using Bluetooth PAN on ICS).
    So, you included the AT&T Proxy Server Manager that's included in the available-since-July leaked AT&T ROM?

btw - There are alot of posters who never heard from you in your own thread here. Not cool after asking for email addresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    So, you included the AT&T Proxy Server Manager that's included in the available-since-July leaked AT&T ROM?

btw - There are alot of posters who never heard from you in your own thread here. Not cool after asking for email addresses.
    Look Dude,
    All I was saying is that yes, AT&T did have a solution for using your laptop via the Treo but only if you paid the $40 laptop connect plan. Now that I’m using the new update I can connect my laptop to the internet with just the $20 plan. I didn’t “include” anything. Like I said, I didn’t touch the ROM or setup wizard binaries AT ALL. Read my post, all I’ve done is make the setup wizard for the Palm branded 750 work on the AT&T and Cingular branded 750’s. When you install this update, your AT&T or Cingular phone will still be locked to the AT&T network (you can still unlock with codes from AT&T), it just won’t have any of the added AT&T branding or marketing software. If you want the AT&T logo on startup and shutdown, or the Good Mobile link, or the shop for ringtones link then this update is not for you.

As far as asking people to post their email:
    I’m doing this because if I post the links, they’ll take down the bulletin all together. I don’t want to lose this great post we’ve been working on, ‘cause I’m trying to support people, and the EveryThingTreo bulletin has blossomed into the place to do it.

If you don’t want to post your email then request it via email to my address: trueluck3@hotmail.com

I was just like all you guys posting my email and waiting forever for a response (of course I have about a dozen email address so I didn’t mind the risk of my email getting on some distribution list or something).
    The reason why no one’s heard of me is because I never tried to offer my attempts to anyone. I understand if people are not comfortable with my offering, but please don’t lash out at me for trying to help. I’ve sent out over 2 dozen updates and no one has complained about a damaged phone or anything like that. Some had connection issues when downloading the zip file and some had an issue with the setup installer not getting pass the bootloader portion. I’ve successfully worked them through those issues.
    If you don’t trust me, I understand. But I’m an honest person working in the IT business as a CIO. Yes the Treo 750 updates are some of my newest endeavors but nothing I can’t handle. If you’re as fed up as I am with AT&T and Palm’s support, then please check out and at least read my posts.

If anyone would like to talk about the update you can also try me on windows live messenger using the above email address.
    Last edited by trueluck3; 12/02/2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added my Live Messenger
    Look Dude,
    All I was saying is that yes, AT&T did have a solution for using your laptop via the Treo but only if you paid the $40 laptop connect plan. Now that Iím using the new update I can connect my laptop to the internet with just the $20 plan.
    A solution to use the $20/mo data plan has been available for almost a year as well as disabling the proxy server.

As far as asking people to post their email:
    Iím doing this because if I post the links, theyíll take down the bulletin all together. I donít want to lose this great post weíve been working on, Ďcause Iím trying to support people, and the EveryThingTreo bulletin has blossomed into the place to do it.

If you donít want to post your email then request it via email to my address: trueluck3@hotmail.com

I was just like all you guys posting my email and waiting forever for a response (of course I have about a dozen email address so I didnít mind the risk of my email getting on some distribution list or something).
    The reason why no oneís heard of me is because I never tried to offer my attempts to anyone.
    I suppose it's your prerogative to be known as a phisher...
    Quote Originally Posted by Physician User on 12/2/07 View Post
    It's an email phishing scam Trueluck3 is doing.

He's been contacted by multiple people on two different forums and doesn't reply back. Good thing most people sent him temporary emails.
    ...within your first several posts since you seem to refuse to address the thread you started here. It was you who asked for posters to post their email addresses, yet virtually no one ever heard from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by trueluck3 on 11/17/07 View Post
    Post your email if you want it or if you have questions.
    How many opportunities to correct this do you need?
    Yes, I started a post on TreoCentral and abandoned it because the TreoCentral messaging features weren’t really working out for me. So I went to the Palm Blog site (blog.palm.com) to search for a better community forum and found that the EverythingTreo forum was best. I’m not knocking TreoCentral, it’s purely a message board thing. Not to mention their not as brutal as you guys on this post...LoL.
    Jeez…Just because you don’t get a response doesn’t mean I’m a phisher. I have a dozen email addresses because, like I said, I’m a CIO and work with many different companies for IT business.

My tone, whether you realize it or not has been calm and cool, but now I’ll turn it up a notch:
    I’ve given you all my email address, trueluck3@hotmail.com, to make requests.
    I’m here helping out the community due to my related frustrations with AT&T and Palm, and I’m getting hammered for it?!? You accuse me of being a phisher?!? Has anyone received unusual junk mail, or anything other than download links from me??? Have you even read the Everythingtreo.com forum I posted in this post???

I’ll go back to the abandoned post and post the new forum link and me email address.
    As far as you, lifes2short, go ahead and keep quoting bits and pieces of my posts to make me out however you’d like, or you can have a civil conversation with me on messenger, or go ahead and send a request to my email: trueluck3@hotmail.com

But don’t you dare accuse me of anything other than trying to help the Palm community.
    To everyone else that requested a link on this site and never got one please go to the everything treo forums or simply contact me at trueluck3@hotmail.com with email or on messenger.
    Trueluck... thanks for the links and direction.

I have no idea what I'm going to do but thanks to ATT, it looks like I have plenty of time to decide.
    LoL, tell me about it...let me know if you need any help, if at all possible in the Everything Treo forums (it's tough to monitor two forums all day).

Thanks again
    My tone, whether you realize it or not has been calm and cool, but now Iíll turn it up a notch:
    Iíve given you all my email address, trueluck3@hotmail.com, to make requests.
    Iím here helping out the community due to my related frustrations with AT&T and Palm, and Iím getting hammered for it?!? You accuse me of being a phisher?!?
    I didn't. Someone else did. However, since you originated and immediately abandoned the thread which caused you to be referred to as a phisher, I would think it would only serve your interests to correct the misimpression. Clearly, no one else has anything to gain.

But donít you dare accuse me of anything other than trying to help the Palm community.
    Covered ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    I suppose it's your prerogative to be known as a phisher...
    By referencing someone else’s suggestion that I'm a "phisher," you are, in turn, suggesting that I may be a phisher.

You have yet to request the link from me, so I’m assuming you haven’t even read the post at everything Treo or done anything but make comments on this post. Not even in my original post did you make a request. Who the hell do you think you are; my customer? Are you mistaking me for AT&T or Palm? I’ve since addressed the original post and sent out links for everyone.

Did you even go back to the post, and read Cascade's post? He and I chatted and got things going. How come he didn't have a problem getting in touch with me?

I’ve seen all your other posts on this site, and it seems to be your MO to be negative and argumentative. Take a deep breath, and just send a request to my email, you know you want the link…

Who wants to take bets on which line he’ll quote next:

I got $5 on the MO line
    By referencing someone elseís suggestion that I'm a "phisher," you are, in turn, suggesting that I may be a phisher.

You have yet to request the link from me, so Iím assuming you havenít even read the post at everything Treo or done anything but make comments on this post. Not even in my original post did you make a request. Who the hell do you think you are; my customer? Are you mistaking me for AT&T or Palm? Iíve since addressed the original post and sent out links for everyone.

Did you even go back to the post, and read Cascade's post? He and I chatted and got things going. How come he didn't have a problem getting in touch with me?

Iíve seen all your other posts on this site, and it seems to be your MO to be negative and argumentative. Take a deep breath, and just send a request to my email, you know you want the linkÖ

Who wants to take bets on which line heíll quote next:

I got $5 on the MO line
    Unappreciative of your repackaging of what's been easily available for 6 months? You're a bit late, my friend.

Try sticking to the merit of the complaints of others rather than making it personal about me. Those facts haven't changed unless you've done right by each of those who freely posted their email address, at your request. There's nothing more to this than that. Is there?
    Are you typing this from a mental hospital? Did I not just say I addressed everyone in the post? And the unbranded update has only been around since late October, so what are you talking about?
    No one has made the newest unbranded update available to AT&T and Cingular users. The closest I saw was someone discussing a method of using the unbranded update by manipulating the setup program while it’s running. I’ve gone ahead and created a Cingular, AT&T and bootloader version. Kudos to anyone who has, but I haven’t seen it, and apparently neither has 50 or so other 750 users. I’m not trying to prove anything to anybody, just making things easier because I’ve felt the same pain as other 750 owners.

If you’re using a 6 month old ROM, you do not have the newest ROM out there. The newest ROM is SW ver. 2.23 and FW ver. 1.54.00.00. Send I request to trueluck3@hotmail.com and I’d be happy to send you the link.
    Are you typing this from a mental hospital?
    Yes, Mr CIO. See me waving to you from across the hall to the Troll ward?

Leave the rented self-aggrandizement at the nurse's station when you're released.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast