Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well... it's a slow morning so I decided to visit Palm's Support Chat to see what I could find out about the elusive WM6 release.

"Roger" gave me the standard song and dance that the release was "just around the corner" and I pointed out that I was told that it would be available by mid-November. He then said that Palm has released the update to ATT and any delays are being caused by ATT. I asked "Roger" if he was blaming ATT for the delay and he started to backup a bit stating he was merely telling me of the exact situation.

So, it was off to ATT's support where I talked to "Megan_Ru". Megan had no information available on the release, apologized and said she could be of no further assistance. I asked who could be of further assistance and was told to contact Palm.

I shared the information that "Roger" at Palm gave me and she said that the only reason for delay would be a software glitch that needed to be corrected before release. I asked Megan if that was the case, why would ATT release WM6 for business accounts and offer it on other devices.

I then began to get boiler plate responses such as "we apologize for any inconvienances this delay has caused" and "it's a free update that will greatly improve your device".

I wonder if ATT is delaying the update to push more consumers to the Tilt, BlackJack II or Moto Q9? Whatever the reason, this wait is getting old.
  2. Zal
    I suspect that the delay is due to the fact that there is a glitch in the download process. It cannot be in the OS as they are offering that to corporate customers (already installed).
    "Search" can be your friend as the reason for the delay has been well discussed in other threads.

ATT found a rare but critical bug resulting in a failure to complete E911 calls. It is difficult to reproduce the bug (i.e. rare) but because it can happen and is safety related, it was a showstopper.

If it helps, Palm and ATT have plans to continue the 750 line for a while because it is compatible with the upcoming WM6.1 update.
    [QUOTE=eVader;1381277If it helps, Palm and ATT have plans to continue the 750 line for a while because it is compatible with the upcoming WM6.1 update.[/QUOTE]

We are still waiting for the 6.0 update, please do not get this forum started on a 6.1 update

Stefan
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
    Quote Originally Posted by eVader View Post

If it helps, Palm and ATT have plans to continue the 750 line for a while because it is compatible with the upcoming WM6.1 update.
    Oh.. great.. WM6.1.. Something to look forward to in 2015
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    "Search" can be your friend as the reason for the delay has been well discussed in other threads.

ATT found a rare but critical bug resulting in a failure to complete E911 calls. It is difficult to reproduce the bug (i.e. rare) but because it can happen and is safety related, it was a showstopper.
    So they obviously don't care about the safety of their corporate customers then
  7. Zal
    If the reason for the delay is that showstopper E911, how can they distribute it to corporate customers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zal View Post
    If the reason for the delay is that showstopper E911, how can they distribute it to corporate customers?
    I agree and perhaps TazUk hit it spot on.
    I agree and perhaps TazUk hit it spot on.
    If so, Palm has just excluded doing business with government agency, dept, or locale. A very 'Palm-like' move, no doubt, but in all seriousness, this cannot be the reason since WM6 is, in fact, released and supported by AT&T to the exclusion of individual customers, so far.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    According to the place where the info on the E911 issue came from the problem was only found on updated machines, not new rom'd devices.
    In Geological time Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Soon does mean 6months to 2 years.
    if so many people are complaining about it to Palm, and At&t why don't they release the thing already...its getting annoying!

I was told from palm, that the more people that complain, the more it will mean to get it out as soon as possible...

what does this mean? Are they looking for ways to find out people are going to switch products...
    IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO GET THROUGH THIS, BUT AT LEAST IM GETTING CLOSER...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:00:39 EST 2007)>I understand your concern about the WM6 update for the Treo 750.

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:00:54 EST 2007)>I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you due to this..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:01:49 EST 2007)>i am under the impression they are shipping out corporate orders w the update already on them, why can't they do the same for the indiviuals, who spend WAY more money PER PHONE on these units...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:02:52 EST 2007)>I am really sorry for this ..

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:04:04 EST 2007)>We in chat support doesn't have the privilege to disclose the ETA for this release..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:04:29 EST 2007)>well who does, because this is really starting to get to the point of annoyance with your company...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:05:31 EST 2007)>I understand.. But Please understand my position here because we are tied with the policy hence we can't disclose anything..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:06:26 EST 2007)>i understand your position, and your position is to let me in on who I need to talk to so I can find out when this release is, if now you are going to lose out on a CUSTOMER!

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:09:57 EST 2007)>I'm not the only one who uses a treo in my family, or my company, and you can rest assured, after I get through explaining my personal situation to them, they will be lost CUSTOMERS as well...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:11:22 EST 2007)>I can assure you that the WM6 will be released very soon..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:11:49 EST 2007)>by very soon is that before christmas, because i have to know by then...

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:12:07 EST 2007)>your not telling me anything i don't already know by release the "very soon" line...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:12:23 EST 2007)>I am sorry.. we can't provide you any ETA for this as per policy..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:12:53 EST 2007)>your willing to lose customers over a policy?

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:13:36 EST 2007)>where in your policy does it say, "don't lose valuable and long time customers", because I assure you if your business runs on the hopes and dreams of VERY SOON catch phrases, you won't have many customers left...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:18:12 EST 2007)>I will provide you the Palm Corporate Number..

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:18:31 EST 2007)>Please contact them and they will provide you the complete information on this..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:18:36 EST 2007)>I'd appreciate that, is there someone there that can provide me with the ETA for this?

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:18:45 EST 2007)>1 (408) 617-7000 Main Phone.

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:19:13 EST 2007)>Yes.. Once you contact the Coprorate number.. there you can get the latest information on this.

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:19:24 EST 2007)>i appreciate it...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:19:29 EST 2007)>Thank you!!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Haven't seen anyone with the leaked firmware complain about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    No offense intended however, it seems that anytime someone expresses their displeasure at the glacier like speed at which this update is coming, and that both AT&T an Palm has no answer other then “soon” someone jumps in with; “hey man use the leaked rom, it’s perfect”

Let me point out that there are many out there that would love to use this magic rom but the warranty issue holds them back. For myself, I’d love to use it, but because I have no land line at my home and haven’t had one for 7 years, my only phone connection to the outside world is this 750. Sure, it has some problems, none are critical, and at worst are inconveniences. I run a business out of my home and use the same phone for that as well. If something were to go wrong, I’d be screwed. So, I’m sure you can understand my reluctance to upgrade to this leaked rom.

My point is; the leaked rom answer isn’t for everyone.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post

If they don't get through to E911, they may not be able to complain...

-Craig
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by softmagnet View Post
    My point is; the leaked rom answer isn’t for everyone.
    Didn't say it was My point is those that have been using the leaked firmware have had plenty of time to test it and find any problems. Pretty much everyone has been happy with the update and I don't recall any major issues being found, other than the usual complaints about MS and Windows Mobile.

It makes no odds to me whether they release it or not as I'm in the UK on Vodafone, it's just it's not the way you should deal with your customers, not if you want to keep them that is
    I suggest everyone call this number and complain, i'm sure the more we complain thebetter off we will be..

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:18:45 EST 2007)>1 (408) 617-7000 Main Phone.

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:19:13 EST 2007)>Yes.. Once you contact the Coprorate number.. there you can get the latest information on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiejames View Post
    IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO GET THROUGH THIS, BUT AT LEAST IM GETTING CLOSER...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:12:23 EST 2007)>I am sorry.. we can't provide you any ETA for this as per policy..

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:12:53 EST 2007)>your willing to lose customers over a policy?

Eddie_James(Thu Nov 29 14:13:36 EST 2007)>where in your policy does it say, "don't lose valuable and long time customers", because I assure you if your business runs on the hopes and dreams of VERY SOON catch phrases, you won't have many customers left...

Peter(Thu Nov 29 11:19:29 EST 2007)>Thank you!!

I come to this site occassionally for help and the like but couldn't help myself by not responding to this. Eddie, are you really this worked up over a software upgrade??? Sheesh, flame me all you want but your demeanor towards "Peter" is embarrassing. "You're willing to lose a customer over a policy?"????? did you really ask him that? I don't know Peter from Adam but I'm sure he's more than willing to lose you and every other customer he comes across before violating a policy and LOSING HIS JOB! Let me get this straight, you'd actually expect a guy probably making $8/hour to lose his job because you threaten him with losing you as a customer? Brilliant.

Flame away.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiejames View Post
    ...i'm sure the more we complain thebetter off we will be..
    This is classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edrego View Post
    This is classic!
    Well, it works for four year old kids.....
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast