1.    #1  
    Ok, so here my questions:

Do I need a data plan if I get a WiFi card? (Treo 700WX)

If I dont have a cell signal, does that mean I wont have a WiFi signal??

Is there a weather app I can update while sync'd, but without a data plan???

What sound does a giraffe make????

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Do I need a data plan if I get a WiFi card? (Treo 700WX)
    No, but if you want internet anywhere, then yeah. Remember Wifi is only around hotspots... which is almost nowhere. Unless you're at work or home (if they/you have it)

If I dont have a cell signal, does that mean I wont have a WiFi signal??
    No

Is there a weather app I can update while sync'd, but without a data plan???
    Look around... check this out for a list of threads talking about best apps
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130718
    LongLivePalm
    Wi-fi would be sketchy at best, I started looking for PPCs with the idea of getting either wi-fi built in, or getting a card and not a data plan. The CS dept at VZW kept giving me different stories....on one hand, your not using their data plan, but they were telling me that we are paying for the data usage on the phone, whether it is from them, or another source. Personally....I don't know how they can/could do that, so I would try it and not use too much, keeping a VERY close eye on your first billing period.

As far as reliability, as LLC23 mentioned, finding hotspots may be difficult at best. Do you have a wireless system set up at home? That would help a bit.

Any weather app will be able to update with wi-fi, but you need to make sure you can either set up to ONLY update manually, or only using wi-fi. I know WeatherPanel can be set so you have to manually update, but I don't know about the wi-fi part.

I hope this helps a little!!

P.S. The giraffe says........................(i'll let you know when it reaches it's mouth!!!)
  4.    #4  
    Ok, thanks for the info. Im just trying to find an alternative to VZW's high dollar data plan, its ridiculous! As for WiFi, theres a few spots around where I live and I think work has it in certain areas in some of the buildings. For $40, I might try it and see what happens.

As for the weather deal, I get weather texts from VZW but their not very accurate. I mainly need it for summertime so I know when I can go racing.

JC
    I aint nobody, dork!
    Wi-Fi is totally independant of the phone. You don't even have to activate the phone to use W-Fi at your home. No charges - they have no clue that you are using your home network. And why would they care. I've done it too - so I know. Alot of people, myself included, use weatherpanel, which has some very nice skins that fit on our screens. You can tell it manually to update the weather, and when you're using the Wi-Fi, it will do so without a hitch. I only do so when hooked up to my laptop and it uses my laptop's internet connection at work. Good luck.