1.    #1  
    Ironic that we saw this over at our to get an idea of how it works. No GPS necessary, baby!

This basically puts Google Maps a leg up on Windows Live Search, which had been our previous favorite map solution. Hopefully Microsoft will catch up soon, because we do prefer their directions and other features like movie times and gas prices. We also like WLS's voice search option, we just wish it worked a little more reliably.

Get Google Maps

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/go..._location.html
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    According to PCWorld article, My Location does not work with BlackJack, Treo 700w, or Q. I can confirm with my BlackJack that it does not work.
  3. rsa
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I can confirm that "My Location" doesn't work on my 700WX either. At least not with Sprint service. Google is very vague about what phones it does work on. Simply claiming those phones with Windows mobile, etc, etc.
    It works on my Treo 750, AT&T WM6 ROW.
    The service does not work for CDMA phones. (if you don't believe me ask anyone from sprint or verizon)
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    THe new version loads on my Q, but My Location doesn't work. "Temporarily unavailable," it says.
  7. rsa
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    The service does not work for CDMA phones. (if you don't believe me ask anyone from sprint or verizon)
    How would someone from Sprint or Verizon know whether or not a Google application works? They barely know how their own stuff works.

On another note, there was a post in the Google forums that an individual got his Treo to work with "My Location" by switching it(the phone) from 3G to 2G. I think he was in Europe though and so I don't even know if that is applicable to us?
    Quote Originally Posted by RSA View Post
    How would someone from Sprint or Verizon know whether or not a Google application works? They barely know how their own stuff works.

On another note, there was a post in the Google forums that an individual got his Treo to work with "My Location" by switching it(the phone) from 3G to 2G. I think he was in Europe though and so I don't even know if that is applicable to us?
    Funny. But it "sort of works." I have a CDMA Blackberry 8830 with Sprint and you would figure they would at least have this complement each other: use real GPS outside and A-GPS inside or where it's faster and more accurate. But nope, they choose A-GPS most of the time and it's wayyyy off, like miles off. It sucks. I want my old Google Maps but I can't find it anywhere.
    Do you need to select the internal GPS to make GMM uses those coordinates since it was just installed? After installing 2.0 on my Curve, it defaulted to triangulation until I told it to use my BT GPS puck. Once I did that, it stopped using triangulation.

I stopped/restarted GMM a few times to test and it always uses triangulation if my puck isn't connected. As soon as it is, it uses the puck coordinates. That's just the way I'd expect it to work.
    Last edited by tomvb2000; 12/03/2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: triangulation != A-GPS
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    It works on my treo 750 on gsm and umts. I can also say it works on verizon blackberry 8730e in Tampa Bay.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    My Tilt doesn't seem to work.
    PDA History: Handspring Visor > Toshiba e335 > Palm T|X > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Phone History: Unknown Nokia > Nokia 6340i > Motorola V551 > Motorola e815 > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    By my Treo 750 does.
    PDA History: Handspring Visor > Toshiba e335 > Palm T|X > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    Phone History: Unknown Nokia > Nokia 6340i > Motorola V551 > Motorola e815 > Palm Treo 700wx > AT&T Tilt & Treo 750
    It kinda works on my TyTN II, but it pulled up a location about 3 minutes away from where I am now. Thats pretty good if you do not have gps,,,,,,,,,,, But since I do

The GPS on my Kaiser is always within 20 feet of spot on
    P.S. Im unlocked on att