Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's time for Palm to pay the piper. After documenting over 50 critical bugs to palm and Verizon, a patch was released to fix some issues. One big issue they will never get around is the flawed design of the Treo 700P/W/WX. I work for a large company and support over 40 of these phones. Each one has had almost 3 replacements, so in all, I've been through 120 defective Treo's.

Here's an example of a critical flaw never fixed:

Me: Yes, Palm, I have a major problem here.

Palm: Yes we know the Treo sucks, but what is it this time?

Me: Well, you see, sometimes, randomly, I will send a text message and for absolutely no reason, it will grab my outlook email and send it my SMS recipient. This is terrible as it could lead to breaches.

Palm: Oh wow, that's bad! OK here's the solution - stop using your Treo for email. There, problem fixed.

That is a no BS re enactment of Palm's dedication to fixing this phone. The Lawfirm that handled the original suit is preparing another one, so let's get them to do the right thing and provide a good phone for once!
  2.    #2  
    BTW......I own the 6700 and now own the Samsung i760. I have never had a better phone than the Samsung! Everyone go get one!
    Wow....I must have gotten lucky, in over a year with my WX so far I have never had that happen before.

P.S. I was intrigued with the Samsung, but I don't care for the form-factor. I really liked the i730, and I sometimes wonder if I should have stuck with it, but I am happy with the WX.

Good luck with the suit!! Let us know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by danky View Post
    It's time for Palm to pay the piper. After documenting over 50 critical bugs to palm and Verizon, a patch was released to fix some issues. One big issue they will never get around is the flawed design of the Treo 700P/W/WX. I work for a large company and support over 40 of these phones. Each one has had almost 3 replacements, so in all, I've been through 120 defective Treo's.

Here's an example of a critical flaw never fixed:

Me: Yes, Palm, I have a major problem here.

Palm: Yes we know the Treo sucks, but what is it this time?

Me: Well, you see, sometimes, randomly, I will send a text message and for absolutely no reason, it will grab my outlook email and send it my SMS recipient. This is terrible as it could lead to breaches.

Palm: Oh wow, that's bad! OK here's the solution - stop using your Treo for email. There, problem fixed.

That is a no BS re enactment of Palm's dedication to fixing this phone. The Lawfirm that handled the original suit is preparing another one, so let's get them to do the right thing and provide a good phone for once!
    no problems with my wx, but had a few with the w
    each one of 40 through almost 3 replacements? that sounds like you have a setup problem or 3rd party software conflict. Those odds are impossible for factory default devices to fail like that. I call BS or pilot error.

If you knew anything about class actions you would know that they don't affect future products.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  5.    #5  
    littleway -

That was an average of replacements, not an actual number. For example, I personally went through 7 Treo 700w's. ALL with manufacturers defects and defective refurbs. They would all go to the point where they would not hard reset so they were bricked. I also had 5 phones brick themselves doing the 1.22 firmware update. Before you call BS, ask for facts, which I am happy to provide. There is no third party software, except for the Verizon provided wireless sync client. I am an IT expert, MCSE, A+, and I also code for the Windows Mobile environment. I also provided patches for Palm for some issues which were included in 1.22. Done Trolling?
  6.    #6  
    Also, the text message bug is present in the 1.22 firmware with all Treo 700w/wx's. It's odd and random, but does happen. And what future products? Oh yeah that's right, you mean the ones that have been delayed until next year because of stability issues (Foleo). The only one that has come out is the Centreo, which is out because they lost so much market to the Blackberry. Your assumptions are just that, assumptions. This will be class action - study your law. Palm sold a defective device, acknowledged it at all levels (you can ask a Verizon rep or Palm what they think of the 700w). Yes the WX is better, because of the added RAM, but it still has a lot of unresolved issues. While it may not be as bad as the 700W, it is still a lemon.
    All I can say is "bad luck" on your part and you don't have my support

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Easy, danky. littlewaywelt has a few more posts than you do, and despite your glowing litany of technological accomplishments, he also has a pretty good reputation around here, which your four posts, all in the same thread, all today, doesn't earn you. Take it down a notch, eh? We all want Palm to give us a phone that works.
    END OF LINE
  9.    #9  
    Sorry -

I just don't like being Pilot error fodder. Posts do not equal knowledge, just how many clicks you've made. I'm no super genius here, but I do know my stuff. So no Pilot errors here. Thanks
    Right.

Posts = reputation, as I said. Not knowledge.

Good luck with the lawsuit.
    END OF LINE
    It is getting a bit heated over a glitch or two. I think I will conclude with a good luck on settling your particular glitch with this phone, or maybe take the easy way out and change devices. (as you can tell, I kinda think along the lines of Alienwhere, Malatesta, and littlewaywelt who (along with others) have guided me with enjoying my WX, and the W before that one!!!)

I hope this thread doesn't catch fire!!! LOL

Later guys
  12.    #12  
    On a final note -

My goal is not money here at all. Even though thousands possibly millions of dollars have been lost by all who suffer from problems that aren't resolved, all I want is a phone that works as advertised. One that I can use my email like advertised and not be told by Palm to fix a major bug to not use my email. Thanks all! We are in this together!
  13.    #13  
    I totally agree with all - I love my Samsung i760. I can't wait to start using my 6800 too
    The only major flaw I've had with the 700wx is the bluetooth problem, which still isn't fully resolved with the last updates, although its better. Palm has known about the bug, but it may be a hardware issue as well, who knows. Other than that, the 700wx has been a good PDA to me and I have no real complaints. As someone else said, sometimes a 3rd party program has issues or causes issues, but that's not Palm's problem.

I have never experienced the bugs you're talking about, but I'm sure they exist. EVERY phone/PDA has flaws somewhere. The manufacturer may admit to the flaws and some may not. I also have a MotoQ, now that phone has more flaws than the 700wx did (atleast for me). The phone worked great, but the PDA side had major flaws that I know have plagued others.

Good luck with your lawsuit, I'm not sure if its one that can be won, but good luck nonetheless.
    Do keep us up to date on the lawsuit.
    I can't wait to start using my 6800 too
    Now that's funny...

Is the Verizon version plagued with poor BT, memory leaks and not enough RAM too? And who are you going to sue about the firmware-crippled GPS in that device?

17.    #17  
    Well considering Verizon doesn't have a 6800 out yet how will I know until I see it? Also remember the treo 700's huge BT problems? Hannip fixed that long ago on the Treo's, as well as Firmware 1.22. The gent having his Bluetooth issues should check to see if he has the final 1.22. HTC hasn't released the 6800, I just like the look of the specs at the moment. The benefit with the 6700 and 6800 is this and othe great communities that make patches and fixes (such as Hannip)

On a side note - What is your problem? I appreciate the WMExperts community and use you guys as a resource all the time, while I may not have stuff to post, I read. But why are you personally attacking me when I have done nothing to you? Unless you are Palm or Verizon?
  18.    #18  
    and PPCGeeks. Thanks so much for that site! Seriously, you rock for your help on that site.
  19.    #19  
    I meant that Verizon doesn't have the HTC 6800 available yet. 512mhz 96mb rom 256MB RAM. Great specs, but we all know it is a rough ride in the beginning. It's how you patch it and how fast you do it. Palm's 1.22 came too little too late, warranties have already expired and so on. I also meant thanks for PPCGeeks, without that I wouldn't have WM6 on my 6700 or any AKU's. Thanks!
    On a side note - What is your problem? I appreciate the WMExperts community and use you guys as a resource all the time, while I may not have stuff to post, I read. But why are you personally attacking me when I have done nothing to you? Unless you are Palm or Verizon?
    How have I "personally attacked you"? I haven't called you names or even said anything negative--just that I think you had bad luck and that I do not support your lawsuit.

The 6800 issue was simply meant to highlight and unfortunate fact: smartphones are finky beasts. Part of that is the sheer complexity and bureaucracy involved: carriers have their standards, wants and rules; OEMs have their systems and MS has their constantly updated OS, all trying to play nice. It's harder than it looks. (And, as stated many times I hate the damn current system of phones and carriers).

The 700wx is not a perfect device but having extensively owned and used many WM devices now and in the past, it has nothing wrong with that is so outstanding compared to every other device out there.

The Mogul is a fine example: we've waited 2 years for it and it shipped with a bad implementation of BT, not enough RAM, issues with not waking on alarms and calls (also seen in the new Touch), memory leaks, non-functional GPS, long overdue Revision A update, etc. Then HTC released a ROM update which was even worse for many and which they had to pull, telling users to now downgrade to the previous broken ROM and wait until "early 2008" for a fix. (Or read this quip about the Touch and Sprint--is this any better than Palm?)

The Verizon version is the same as Sprint: 2.09 firmware (the troubled one), no GPS, and 64mb of RAM (not 96) giving you a paltry 20-25mb of free RAM to actually use, translating into "not enough memory" errors. No doubt Palm screwed the pooch with the 700w but it was their first WM device and they "fixed it" with the 700wx. The 6800 is hardly HTC's first device (they screwed the memory on the 1st gen Touch too) and Verizon had plenty of time to order one with increased memory (It should have 96mb of RAM, indeed).

So I'm just expressing my general opinion that none of these devices are perfect and they all have issues. It comes down to what you can live with and accept. Personally, I don't have any issues with the 700wx, hence I can't agree with your position. But to be clear: I never personally attacked you. I'm just not sure this will be productive or helpful in the long run for us or Palm.

PS No, I do not work for Palm or Verizon. Funny, since I've been accused of working for "Wimax experts", Sprint, and Mircosoft too. I have no connections now or in the past, professional or personal, to any tech or phone company or people affiliated with such companies. Nor financial ties.

PPS You should also name Verizon in the lawsuit; They ultimately test and certify the phone to use on their network, not Palm. They should also be held responsible since they sold it to you.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/28/2007 at 05:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast