1.    #1  
    I have wm6 on my treo, my storage memory is good-
    (58 total, 14mb in use, 44mb free)
    BUT
    my program memory is puzzling....

Its at 48mb, and in use is 28mb- leaving just a little over 21mb free.

I did press the keys to open that and close "running programs" to see what else is there but there is nothing (after I closed IE, flexmail, etc)

So what could be taking up 28MB invisibly?

Any way I can "move" that over to the storage memory?

Thanks!
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    Suggest you try a soft reset and see how it looks afterwards.

If it still looks similar you may want to try Memmaid--which I believe has a free trial. That app has a memory clean up feature. Others swear by this program but I can't really say.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    I have wm6 on my treo, my storage memory is good-
    (58 total, 14mb in use, 44mb free)
    BUT
    my program memory is puzzling....

Its at 48mb, and in use is 28mb- leaving just a little over 21mb free.

I did press the keys to open that and close "running programs" to see what else is there but there is nothing (after I closed IE, flexmail, etc)

So what could be taking up 28MB invisibly?
    If you don't try the Memmaid app, you may want to try SKTools which can tweak your system to minimize resource overload as well as monitor your processor activity.

Any way I can "move" that over to the storage memory?
    Not on WM5 or 6, but you can unlock and remove your extendedROM, gaining about 9MB of storage space. See xda-dev if you want to go that route.

Hope that helps.
  4.    #4  
    Storage space isnt a concern for me. It's the "running program" part-

What is the SKTools? (freeware?)

For my info, what is the extendedROM function?
    Lance
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    Storage space isnt a concern for me. It's the "running program" part-
    Forgot to mention the obvious. If you haven't already, clear your browser cache and history to regain a little RAM. How much RAM do you have right after a soft reset?

What is the SKTools? (freeware?)
    Not freeware, but only $13. http://s-k-tools.com/index.html?sktools/m_feat.html

For my info, what is the extendedROM function?
    If you updated using a carrier branded WM6 rom image, a storage area formatted for the carriers links, apps, promotions. etc are located there.
  6.    #6  
    updated with a non branded WM6 from xda site-
    resetted, and turned phone OFF-(to see what happens)
    I got:
    48.67 total
    21.79 in use
    26.88 free.

so I wonder what those 21mb are... also changing the today screen configuration (i.e more on the screen) had no effect on running program storage usage. Just FYI.
    Lance
    I was reading somewhere else about the differences between wm2003 and wm5. The people there were commenting on how in 2003 you could adjust program and storage memory via a slider and it was all in ram. with wm5 there is no slider and it is split between ram and rom. One person postulated that the system copies from the rom to the ram (i.e. from storage to program) everything it needs to run. So with things like voice command off and just having soft reset, the amount of used program memory would be, in my mind, the OS and maybe the phone.

Does that help?
  8.    #8  
    I might have to try turning the voice command off and see. every mb I can save is great. (i never use voice command) my Bluetooth is off also.

Hard to believe an OS would take up almost HALF the running program- Imagine what that would do if our PC was running like that? eeek. harken back to the "dos days" where we tried to swap memory around (extended memory, during games) remember those old days??
    Lance
    updated with a non branded WM6 from xda site-
    resetted, and turned phone OFF-(to see what happens)
    I got:
    48.67 total
    21.79 in use
    26.88 free.

so I wonder what those 21mb are... also changing the today screen configuration (i.e more on the screen) had no effect on running program storage usage. Just FYI.
    When the leaked AT&T rom first started being posted about on xda-dev, there were many posts about the remaining ram. I don't recall what was 'normal' after a reset, and since mine is loaded with apps, it's not exactly virgin any longer. Yours sounds approx right from what I can recall. Just be mindful of how much ram each of your apps require/consume when you install them to help manage day to day use.
    The RAM numbers posted are VERY normal.

All of that memory is being used by system files, which shouldn't be touched. Just some ex's off the top of my head

device.exe = the actual OS sys files
    cprog.exe = the activesync or phone standby files (not sure)

There are also the threaded sms, alarms, notifications, etc

I woudn't worry about it too much, I only find stability issues when there is about 5MB free. And I've only seen that when playing a large mp3 library
  11.    #11  
    thanks for the info. When I have two major programs open, it drops to 8mb or so (but still stable).
    I noticed wm6 seems a little more stable than wm5- I pushed it and opened three-4 programs and swithced around- has not crashed on me yet like wm5 would.
    Lance
    What 2 major programs? 8MB seems low

I know media player is a hog, maybe outlook if you have a lot of messages in there?