Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 76 of 76
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    Its a Sprint MotoQ, so it doesn't have anything with GSM.
    Assumed you were running with the Q9H.

    Have you tried running GMM on 1X?
  2. #62  
    Question Bump! Anyone's answer with a 700wx would be appreciated:

    Unrelated to the location issue,

    When I tap a location for more Options, it doesn't show the address like the older versions did, you can use the softkey to view directions, call, save contact etc, but nothing displays onscreen except a greyed out map.

    Does this happen to anyone else?
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Assumed you were running with the Q9H.

    Have you tried running GMM on 1X?
    I've tried, doesn't do jack.

    This isn't an issue with 1x/EV, it has to do with the API to report Cell ID, which is just n/a.

    On a related note, but specifically Palm OS:
    A representative for Palm developer relations says that an API for determining cell tower IDs has always been on Palm devices, however it was private. Palm says they are now working to make the API public, which requires a change to the ROM, so My Location will be available on newer Palm OS phones. Palm would only commit to say that a update will be made available for the Palm Centro at some point and the API features would be included on Palm OS phones in the future.

    Google's recently announced My Location feature is a GPS SatNav like service for Google Maps Mobile that functions without a GPS receiver. It works by triangulating your position based on the feedback from nearby cell towers that you are connected to. According to Google the current crop of Palm OS devices are not compatible as they do not offer the API they need to access the ID number of the cell tower.
    I think that gives a bit of an idea of what we may be dealing with here...

    Also of interest, Sprint/Palm is reportedly enabling RevA and GPS on the Centro in Q1 2008--which backs up the claim that GPS was always there, just not enabled on these devices (WM and Palm OS).

    Good news is I think it's pretty certain at this point that the 800w will have aGPS/GPS available on release.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/10/2007 at 02:21 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    Good news is I think it's pretty certain at this point that the 800w will have aGPS/GPS available on release.
    Can't wait for the 800!!!!!!

    I'm holding out on upgrading till that comes out!!!!!
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I've tried, doesn't do jack.

    This isn't an issue with 1x/EV, it has to do with the API to report Cell ID, which is just n/a.
    The API is specific to Palm, however. Are there not any reports of WM devices on CDMA that are getting support for the My Location feature? Somewhere? Maybe not.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    The API is specific to Palm, however. Are there not any reports of WM devices on CDMA that are getting support for the My Location feature? Somewhere? Maybe not.
    I'm unaware of any WM device on CDMA where this is working...

    The only devices I know "work" on CDMA and almost on any network is BB's. WM devices seem to be hit or miss, regardless of network.

    So I'm thinking this is hardware/radio/firmware related and specific to how each device is configured. The Palm OS point was just to show what could be (and I think probably) is the main issue: some devices are not reporting the Cell ID and this is due to the feature either locked down, unavailable or unable to be utilized...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm unaware of any WM device on CDMA where this is working...

    The only devices I know "work" on CDMA and almost on any network is BB's. WM devices seem to be hit or miss, regardless of network.

    So I'm thinking this is hardware/radio/firmware related and specific to how each device is configured. The Palm OS point was just to show what could be (and I think probably) is the main issue: some devices are not reporting the Cell ID and this is due to the feature either locked down, unavailable or unable to be utilized...
    I am pretty sure this is a locked down issue. If the API is in ROM now, and I assume it is for the cell carriers to use it, then Palm just needs to release some code that will allow the routines in ROM to be utilized. I am almost 100% certain that the lockdown of the cell ID was at the carrier's request. They want to make money selling location services.

    It would be pretty easy to write another program, very similar to google maps, that would allows someone to track exactly where the phone is/was. Think about it, slip a small program onto a phone that does not show up in a task manager that uploads your current location to a server. This server could track exactly where you were. I would use this on my kids phones and I would tell them so.

    What we need is someone to dump the ROM or someone at Palm to leak the necessary info for a skilled programmer to write their own api layer.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1234 View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a locked down issue. If the API is in ROM now, and I assume it is for the cell carriers to use it, then Palm just needs to release some code that will allow the routines in ROM to be utilized. I am almost 100% certain that the lockdown of the cell ID was at the carrier's request. They want to make money selling location services.

    It would be pretty easy to write another program, very similar to google maps, that would allows someone to track exactly where the phone is/was. Think about it, slip a small program onto a phone that does not show up in a task manager that uploads your current location to a server. This server could track exactly where you were. I would use this on my kids phones and I would tell them so.

    What we need is someone to dump the ROM or someone at Palm to leak the necessary info for a skilled programmer to write their own api layer.
    Yeah I pretty much agree with most of this.

    The lock-down issue is also reportedly about security, which I think the second half of your post demonstrates the need for! lol

    There are programs on Sprint that do just that: track family members phones.

    As far as getting to the API--I doubt even dumping a ROM will help as those files are usually encrypted and we don't know what to enable.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. #69  
    I'm uploading an older version of this app that shows the details of the location when you click on it, these details include Address, web site and phone number. The newer versions do not show it when a location is clicked, I'm not sure if it's specific to our devices or if it's part of the newer version.

    Anyway, here's Google Maps 1.2.0.18. Another benefit is the larger zoom buttons.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10. #70  
    Did anyone see that Razix from TC made GoogleMaps my location work with the Palm OS treos?

    http://www.razix.net/mloc/

    Is there a way to make it work for our WM5 Treo's?
  11. #71  
    Google hypes up the new "My Location" feature, but I've never managed to get it to work at all. I'm using a Sprint Treo 700wx. I guess one gets what they pay for.
  12. #72  
    All the sudden the version I was using stopped providing the telephone numbers to each search result... the one posted 2-3 above my post DOES still work... it doesnt let you CLICK on the number but if you hit options there is one for "Dial number"...

    Thank goodness... I was getting really ticked off that for some reason they took away the ability to call places you find on there...

    Hopefully this version keeps working.....
  13. #73  
    I have wm6 and so far it dosen't work
  14. asbestos's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    I have wm6 and so far it dosen't work
    Not to highjack the thread but Landon.Epps, is that WM6 on a 700wx?
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by asbestos View Post
    Not to highjack the thread but Landon.Epps, is that WM6 on a 700wx?
    Yes.

    And no, you can't have it.

    (At least, not yet. Watch the custom ROM thread.)
  16. asbestos's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Yes.

    And no, you can't have it.

    (At least, not yet. Watch the custom ROM thread.)
    np, been following that thread also.

    As an owner of a HTC Hermes, IPAQ hx2495, HTC Blue Angel, HTC Apache and an HTC Cheetah I was rather sad when I got the 700wx. I love custom ROMS!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions