Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This out from Palm InfoCenter today:

Palm OS fell another step further behind today, with the news that Google's new My Location service won't be coming on board anytime soon. Not that the Goog is to blame - apparently, poor old Garnet just doesn't have the ability. Google's Barry Schnitt has told PIC:

"The Palm OS doesn't offer the API we need to access the ID number of the cell tower the phones is associated with at a given time. Thus, we can't currently offer the My Location feature for Palm OS phones."
    That's PalmOS, not Palm WM Treos, which is another issue altogether...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yep....that means there is still hope for us WM5 users!!!! (although I haven't gotten any answer from Google yet, and their forums leave a LOT to be desired!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Yep....that means there is still hope for us WM5 users!!!! (although I haven't gotten any answer from Google yet, and their forums leave a LOT to be desired!!)
    Grumble...

I'll just keep waiting. I never said I was patient, but hey - do I have a choice?

NYC with Tribute in Light - April 10, 2002
    It's only 70" wide. I should have shot it for my 700wx instead of the wall!
    Don't feal bad. I check this thread daily too hoping for the day when it's activated. I'm a heck of a lot more interested in this then the SprintTV thing.
    SprintTV....like THAT hasn't been done to death!! You should see the threads over at PPCGeeks....the current one is deteriorating quickly!! Oh well.....that is why I like it when these new apps pop up to catch my interest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    hmm - maybe the triangulation only works with WM6 devices...?
    Maybe it only works on GSM devices... with CDMA one probably needs GPS-A...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Maybe it only works on GSM devices... with CDMA one probably needs GPS-A...
    I think that's part of it.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $so$ $far$ $only$ $GSM$ $devices$ $work$ $with$ $this$ $feature$--$no$ $CDMA$, $which$ $means$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $inherently$ $a$ $700w$ $or$ $WM$ $issue$.

But this doesn't mean that CDMA can't do triangulation (non-aGPS) either. Sprint and Verizon can do triangulation to track a phone, though it has poor accuracy, which is why aGPS is around to begin with (e911 stuff). Sprint even uses Live Search on their non-WM devices which uses triangulation as a feature (once again, non-aGPS).

What I think this simply means is: Google hasn't worked on CDMA integration yet.

Seeing as this is still beta and GSM is a much higher priority, I could see that as an explanation. But until we see any CDMA phones that can do this, I think that's a valid explanation. (Anyone know of any Sprint phones, besides BB, which can use My Location?).

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But this doesn't mean that CDMA can't do triangulation (non-aGPS) either. Sprint and Verizon can do triangulation to track a phone, though it has poor accuracy, which is why aGPS is around to begin with (e911 stuff). Sprint even uses Live Search on their non-WM devices which uses triangulation as a feature (once again, non-aGPS).
    Actually, Sprint does triangulation with their Sprint Family Locator service. I tried it out for a couple of months with my 700P at the time as well as a couple of Moto C90's. The accuracy was actually pretty good. It might not have been within 10 meters, but it wasn't much more than this. Maybe at most 50-100 meters. So the technology is there. My only question is are these coordinates something that any program can access, or does it require some special access, in which case only Sprint can do this, or they would have to sanction Google's program to use these coordinates. Come to think of it, one might even consider this a bit of a security risk. Someone could create some innocuous app for your phone but in the background it might be tracking your movements and relaying them to a third party. Kind of sinester! Theoretically carriers SHOULD have safeguards against this, but I don't know if they do...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Actually, Sprint does triangulation with their Sprint Family Locator service. I tried it out for a couple of months with my 700P at the time as well as a couple of Moto C90's. The accuracy was actually pretty good.
    Sprint Family Locator uses GPS/aGPS, not triangulation, hence the accuracy. (Although technically, if GPS/aGPS is not available, it does fall back to AFLT)

But regardless, Sprint does use triangulation for Live Search on non-WM phones. So it appears that this is a GMaps limitation currently on CDMA and/or certain WM devices as well.

A colleague of mine with a new Blackberry downloaded the new Google App and it was able to pinpoint his location. This is in the NYC area and with a non-GPS enabled Blackberry 8830 on the Verizon network. I didn't believe him, but he insists it is true...
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopybird View Post
    A colleague of mine with a new Blackberry downloaded the new Google App and it was able to pinpoint his location. This is in the NYC area and with a non-GPS enabled Blackberry 8830 on the Verizon network. I didn't believe him, but he insists it is true...
    There have been other reports of it working with the Blackberries. I saw a few posts on HoFo about it.
    New version 2.0.0.12 is out alreay and still no location. I'm sad.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I can confirm that location triangulation works on my Sprint enabled Blackberry 8703e. The blue dot sits on your estimated location and there's a blue shaded circle around the dot showing the accuracy approximation. Currently it's "accurate within 1700 meters" but is actually only off by about three blocks. Pretty stinkin' cool if you ask me.

Now I'm not sure whether I'm happy to have it working on my Blackberry or if this just makes me more bummed out that it doesn't work on my Sprint 700wx!
    Handspring Visor w/ Visorphone --> Visor Prism w/ Visorphone --> Treo 180 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by LbSigMan View Post
    New version 2.0.0.12 is out alreay and still no location. I'm sad.
    I will try that on my MotoQ tonight when I get home.
    Still no go on my MotoQ
    I just downloaded it onto my Vzw 700wx - and I am VERY impressed with this program. I too, get the message that my location is currently unavailable. I love how I can enter a key word and it tells me what is nearby... thats awesome!!

I sure hope the triangulation really works.... I'm dying!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    Still no go on my MotoQ
    Try changing your phone's band selection to GSM-Only, then run GMM again. It's the only way to make the Treo 750 on AT&T support the feature as it will not currently work on UMTS/HSDPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Try changing your phone's band selection to GSM-Only, then run GMM again. It's the only way to make the Treo 750 on AT&T support the feature as it will not currently work on UMTS/HSDPA.
    Its a Sprint MotoQ, so it doesn't have anything with GSM.
    Unrelated to the location issue,

When I tap a location for more Options, it doesn't show the address like the older versions did, you can use the softkey to view directions, call, save contact etc, but nothing displays onscreen except a greyed out map.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast