1.    #1  
    I have done a lot of reading about this but I just want to confirm this. I am getting a friends old 700w and just going to activate it and use it. I dont have a data plan and dont want one. I just want the use of the treo w/ the ability to surf the web and have it check my email...dont need that.

Anyways, can I use this phone w/o the data plan? Also will it try and update it self and rack up my bill?

Is there anyways I can disable the internet features so it cant connect?

Thanks
    The only way you can go on the net, or get your email is with a data plan, or if you purchase a wi-fi card. The Treo does not have wi-fi built in. I really do not know how reliable the wi-fi card would be as far as staying online, or speed. You also can't use your memory card at the same time as the wi-fi, so that may inhibit your usage. If not, then as long as you stay in range of a wi-fi signal to latch onto, I guess you should be OK.

Are you still using this as a phone? I would watch your first months bill, I got mixed information from my providor (VZW) about data input to the phone and paying for it (even wi-fi....don't think they can, but I would be careful).

As long as you don't have anything set up to update automatically, you should be OK for the phone 'trying' to connect on it's own. I do think you could go into settings and disable the data radio manually though.
  3.    #3  
    that might not be a bad idea. I just dont want it charging up my plan trying to connect to the internet.

no i dont need it for email or internet. I sit at work all day in front of the computer and i dont want work to be able to get a hold of me from my cell about emails anyways. I just want the function ability of the phone....i might get wi-fi...but who knows.
    I know what you mean about not wanting work to get a hold of you!!!! LOL

The Treo is great as a phone, maybe a touch on the sensitive side for ambiant noise, but all around good.

There are also a LOT of great apps you don't need data connections for. If you are looking for any, or just have any other questions, just shout!!
  5.    #5  
    what do you all recommend for apps for the treo?

I have been looking around but don't know where to start, and what are some must have apps.

Also is there anything I need to do to make sure it doesn't try and connect to the internet and run up my bill?
    As far as disabling the data radio manually, I am not sure if you go into settings and erase the info there (password...) if they would reset or not....I would take it in and ask (unless somebody here knows for sure).

For apps....really most depend on what you want to do...are you a gamer, are you looking to organize data, customize your Today page!!

As far as a must have for any occasion...I would start out with a good back-up app. I think you should be able to get Sprite for free still....that is right on the Palm site. I use SPB Backup (along with a lot of other apps from them) but you have to pay for them.

Let us know what you want to do, and we will direct you as needed!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crghou View Post
    what do you all recommend for apps for the treo?

I have been looking around but don't know where to start, and what are some must have apps.

Also is there anything I need to do to make sure it doesn't try and connect to the internet and run up my bill?
    Read the FAQs/Sticky threads up top.

I would delete the explorer favorites and book mark a non site as the home page so whenever explorer gets launched it isn't pulling data down.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post

I would delete the explorer favorites and book mark a non site as the home page so whenever explorer gets launched it isn't pulling data down.
    Thats a good idea...I didn't think of that!!
  9.    #9  
    ok i will have to try that.

does anyone use it w/o using the internet feature?
    Yes. I never have an issue with the internet launching on its own. Occationally I will get a picture mail from a friend, yes I have one, but when its done downloading I just kill the evdo by clicking on the icon and picking dissconnect.

I am however trying to figure out if I can use a WiFi SD card to surf without a data plan. I also would like to get weather updates. Nobody has answered my post yet though.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=157070
    Last edited by jchrist; 11/29/2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added linky
    I aint nobody, dork!
    The best way to assure yourself about the whole data connection is to do like I do. goto Settings/Connections/Connections/Advanced Click the Select Networks and set both to My Work Network. My Verizon plan has a pay as you go data plan on it so I dont have to pay for what I dont use. Then by chance if I want to use the Internet on it I just go back to that same setting and set the first setting to My ISP then change it back to work network when I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by crghou View Post
    I have done a lot of reading about this but I just want to confirm this. I am getting a friends old 700w and just going to activate it and use it. I dont have a data plan and dont want one. I just want the use of the treo w/ the ability to surf the web and have it check my email...dont need that.

Anyways, can I use this phone w/o the data plan? Also will it try and update it self and rack up my bill?

Is there anyways I can disable the internet features so it cant connect?

Thanks
    Hey man,

When I called to activate my phone the lady tried to force me to sign up for a data plan, make sure you make it clear that you don't want it. I am using my treo without a data plan as well, make sure you never go on the internet or activate verizon's wireless sync and you will be good.
    I simply called Verizon and had them deny my access to their data network, so whenever it tries to it errors out, and I've never had issue with them billing me for data accessthen. This does prevent me from getting pictures (MMS), but that's pretty rare, and worth it to know I'm not accidentally accessing their network.