Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    This is weird, im hoping (really not wishing it on anyone, just need some understanding ) someone has had a similar issue and can shed some light on it... Well anyway I am pretty bummed that WM5 couldnt find my SD card in the phone after being on for awhile. I found out that this was one of the many issues with WM5 (the disappearing storage card) from these forums. So I have had my 2gb card in my phone for a couple months now and about a month ago I put about a gig of .ogg files (previously MP3 music) on my phone and loaded MortPlayer so I could use the BTAudio Mortscript and listen to my music through my headset while at work, doing other things.

That worked great for some time. I mean I would have to usually soft reset the device before I listen to music to make sure it found the card, but other than that, it was good. I recently had some files on my phone that were movies (taken with the phone, stored to the card) and I need them but I noticed when I looked for the files on my PC (used conversion to SD) that my card as full (which it should have had about 100mb left) and that folders that had once been there in the Music area are now just unrecognized files of like 32k or some odd number. Now on the device it actually has letters, but when viewed on a PC its just a bunch of symbols and I know there is space free, but the device says something like 1.9mb free.

So half of my files on my SD card now look to be corrupt? Could this be the phone's fault because I have the camera saving to the card directly or what? I dont know if i lost the videos (or some of them) that i need. It looks to be random because in my albums section i have about 15 albums from the M's on down to the end, which looks about right... weird

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuckyD View Post
    That worked great for some time. I mean I would have to usually soft reset the device before I listen to music to make sure it found the card, but other than that, it was good. I recently had some files on my phone that were movies (taken with the phone, stored to the card) and I need them but I noticed when I looked for the files on my PC (used conversion to SD) that my card as full (which it should have had about 100mb left) and that folders that had once been there in the Music area are now just unrecognized files of like 32k or some odd number. Now on the device it actually has letters, but when viewed on a PC its just a bunch of symbols and I know there is space free, but the device says something like 1.9mb free.

So half of my files on my SD card now look to be corrupt? Could this be the phone's fault because I have the camera saving to the card directly or what? I dont know if i lost the videos (or some of them) that i need. It looks to be random because in my albums section i have about 15 albums from the M's on down to the end, which looks about right... weird

Thoughts?
    I actually had something similar happen (twice). First time I copied the readable files and rebuilt the card, as the unreadsable files were all mp3s, of which I stll had the originals. Second time I soft-booted the phone, and it seems to have cleared up. I think the second time was in conjunction with trying to take a picture, like in your situation.
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    weird im on my device now and it looks like my "DCIM" folder which has all my photos and movies is now a 32k unreadable file

Any thoghts on what to do.... or what not to do?
    AT&T Treo Pro WM6.1 with 8GB microSDHC | Treo 750 WM6.1 with 4GB miniSDHC | Samsung Epix ... needs a better OS, too buggy!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    ShukyD,

It's probably not WM5 that is causing your problem here. We are dealing with a few different factors. SD cards do go bad, your SD card reader that is built into the Treo could be bad or the Speed or type of your SD card.

If your data is gone there may be nothing you can do about it. I would recommend replacing your SD card and seeing if that fixes the problem. I use a SanDisk UltraII brand that has never disappeared or had any problems with my Treo750. If you search the newsgroups you'll see that the type of SD card or Brand you use may be a factor. A lot of people are blaming the TREO 750 with WM5 for problems with their SD cards; that is not the case. As I said in another post it could be any one of these problem:

1. A defective SD Card
    2. An incompatible or borderline incompatible SD card
    3. A defective Treo 750 (Keep replacing it until it works)

The reason I stated "Keep replacing it until it works" is that there have been many cases where Cingular or Palm replaces your Treo 750 with another defective one.
    One other possibility, I have heard of instances of corrupted SD cards when they are accessed by a device with low battery conditions that result in incomplete writes.

You might check into that as well.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    OK, well the battery is above 80% most of the time and when I listen to music it is plugged in. Now if I'm looking at a new MiniSD card, can I get one of those 4GB ones or will they begin to have issues with WM5? Do I not want to open that can of worms?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuckyD View Post
    OK, well the battery is above 80% most of the time and when I listen to music it is plugged in. Now if I'm looking at a new MiniSD card, can I get one of those 4GB ones or will they begin to have issues with WM5? Do I not want to open that can of worms?
    I wouldn't go to 4GB without the WM6 upgrade. Having said that, I am running the generic WM6 upgrade with a 6GB card. No problems mon...
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Well I contacted Transcend via their website because it has been more than 30 days since I bought it from Newegg... I wrote them the problem and told them that I would like a replacement... Now what do I do about the "potentially" sensitive information on the card (emails, etc... ) that I cant access because the card is kaaappuuttt?