1.    #1  
    i am a new user of a used treo 700w with verizon wireless. i have been using it for about a month now and i absolutely love it.

about two weeks ago, i set it up to download mail from GMail using IMAP. i discovered after a couple days that it was killing my battery life so i removed the IMAP account.

it seems as though it's still somehow checking or continuously checking for that account or something though, because the broadband connection is constantly connecting (even when i'm on a call, or at least trying to...can't do phone and broadband at the same time).

how do i stop this? i have ActiveSync set to deliver emails to the device As items arrive but i'm sure this isn't the issue. i've had it this way since the beginning and on my Q before this and never had this problem. it only started after i set the IMAP account.

any ideas?
    Two things come to mind....

One: Go to your email settings (Menu > Delivery Preferences) and make sure the box shown is UNchecked. You don't have to take your IMAP account off, I use gmail and only download mail when I want to.

The second thing that comes to mind, is that there is a great little app out there, and if your interested I can either dig it up, or it shouldn't be too hard to find in here) is a keylight app, that enables you to turn off your keypad light manually. This saves a lot on the battery, and realy....do you need the light durring the day or in a lit room?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    One: Go to your email settings (Menu > Delivery Preferences) and make sure the box shown is UNchecked. You don't have to take your IMAP account off, I use gmail and only download mail when I want to.
    I've already removed the IMAP account so I don't have this option. But it still continues to connect to broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    The second thing that comes to mind, is that there is a great little app out there, and if your interested I can either dig it up, or it shouldn't be too hard to find in here) is a keylight app, that enables you to turn off your keypad light manually. This saves a lot on the battery, and realy....do you need the light durring the day or in a lit room?
    I'll check it out but probably won't use it. I don't use the backlight enough as it is for this to be a concern. But when I'm reading, I like that it's there.
    Simply put: not enough information is given.

• Are you running any 3rd party programs (if not, then why not just hard-reset)? e.g. Weather, IM, RSS...
    • What happens if you disable your Exchange account (set to manual)?
    • What is in your \Windows\Startup directory?

etc...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    the keylight app is slinghann treo keylight. You can turn the lights on and off at instantly. If you use it frequently it will always be at the top of your start menu, so it's not inconvenient. I've found I only need the kboard lights on in the evening.

other tips I've heard here and use are
    turn off error reporting
    turn off the beam/auto discover
    reduce auto updating of email, weather etc or other plugins that update info from the web.
    reduce backlighting of the screen to 1/2 power or less.
    set the backlight on the screen for auto-off after 2-4 minutes of inactivity. tapping any key or the screen turns it back on.

You also might consider the extended battery that's for sale on this website. One fits in the stock battery cover, the other requires a new cover creating a hunchback effect.

Hope that helps some.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    [LIST][*]Are you running any 3rd party programs (if not, then why not just hard-reset)? e.g. Weather, IM, RSS...
    No 3rd party apps. But have have done enough setup customization that I'd rather avoid resetting if it's something I can fix without that.

• What happens if you disable your Exchange account (set to manual)?
    It stays in EVDO mode, but stays idle. Shouldn't it return to 1X when I'm not doing anything broadband-wise?

• What is in your \Windows\Startup directory?
    Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    the keylight app is slinghann treo keylight. You can turn the lights on and off at instantly. If you use it frequently it will always be at the top of your start menu, so it's not inconvenient. I've found I only need the kboard lights on in the evening.
    I will check that out.

other tips I've heard here and use are
    turn off error reporting
    turn off the beam/auto discover
    Where are these settings located?

You also might consider the extended battery that's for sale on this website. One fits in the stock battery cover, the other requires a new cover creating a hunchback effect.
    I don't think the battery is the problem. Before I set up the IMAP account, I could get 24 hours out of my battery. I've even tried another battery that I know is good and the battery I was using is getting 24 hours on another 700w. There's some process running somewhere that is using the broadband connection and I need to figure out how to stop that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaElAre View Post
    It stays in EVDO mode, but stays idle. Shouldn't it return to 1X when I'm not doing anything broadband-wise?
    No.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaElAre View Post
    Where are these settings located?
    settings
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    If you didn't have the problem before, then maybe a hard reset is a solution.