1.    #1  
    Just FYI...

VZW/Treo700wx/_-1.22

Although I have unlimited data and I also have the tethering plan, I decided to try to connect directly to my personal ISP via tethering using USB/DUN. It works for me. (Vista - but should be the same for XP) Not using PDA net, just as delivered Treo.

It seems that I have read posts here about folks who couldn't do that.

If there is any interest, I will elaborate. Otherwise we'll let this thread die a peaceful death.

Admittedly, it is slow as snot, as compared to VZW Broadband Connect.

-Frank
    Frank, if you can please tell me how you managed this I'd much appreciate it. I sometimes travel where I don't have internet access on my laptop and would like to check email and stuff, but don't want to use the EVDO tethering lest sprint should charge me an arm and a leg. I don't need it very often, but when I do it would be handy.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    Frank, if you can please tell me how you managed this I'd much appreciate it. I sometimes travel where I don't have Internet access on my laptop and would like to check email and stuff, but don't want to use the EVDO tethering lest sprint should charge me an arm and a leg. I don't need it very often, but when I do it would be handy.
    Well, this is for Verizon, but I suppose it may work on Sprint...

1) Treo: Go to Start/Programs/ModemLink and make sure your Treo modem is "activated" (I left mine at the default USB connection - Baud Rate and Access point name are unused).

2) Plug Treo into your PC with the USB cable and let the drivers install if not already installed. (This can be a big deal for some, but one way or another you've got to get the PC to recognize the Treo as a Modem)

3) Windows: Manually create a dial-up-networking connection for your Treo in Windows using your ISP's phone number and your ISP username/password for login. Make sure the Treo Modem is assigned to this dial-up connection (you'll have to have your Treo connected to perform this step - if not connected, your Treo modem will not show in your modem choices).

4) Windows: Make sure the baud rate assigned to the Modem in Control Panel/Modems matches the baud rate in your dial-up connection (probably 115K).

5) Windows: Double-click your connection and hopefully you will connect.

Interestingly enough, when connected this way, there is no indication on the phone whatsoever that you have a data connection. No little arrows or nothin'. Also, there is no indication that you have any voice connection either (no little phone-off-hook picture). But it works

Using this method, I'm not even sure if you will use voice minutes. Possibly you'll use nothing at all. But it sure is s.l.o.w...

-Frank