1.    #1  
    Dumb question: Do I need a data connection to use a GPS navigator? I was looking at the Freedom mini but it doesnt come with software. If I buy software (maps and such) say from Tom Tom, do I still need an internet connection??

Or, is there a better direction to go without a data package??

Using a 700WX
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    No you will not need a data connection for standard GPS.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  3.    #3  
    Ok, cool, thanks.

Any suggestions on a software package??
    i use tomtom navigator 6 with a holux m1200 gps receiver . i purchased them on ebay and paid $159.00 with shipping for both . i like how TTN6 automatically replans your route if you wander off course . what i would really like is for the voice directions to include street names (a minor issue , but it would be helpful) . all in all i am satisfied with my purchase and would recommend to anyone with a 700wx .
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I have used Copilot 6 and have updated it to the Copilot 7. Everything workings great for me.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    i use tomtom navigator 6 with a holux m1200 gps receiver . i purchased them on ebay and paid $159.00 with shipping for both . i like how TTN6 automatically replans your route if you wander off course . what i would really like is for the voice directions to include street names (a minor issue , but it would be helpful) . all in all i am satisfied with my purchase and would recommend to anyone with a 700wx .
    Yeah, I've been surfing the bay for it, thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by jchrist View Post
    Yeah, I've been surfing the bay for it, thanks for the info.

I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than the sale palm is running right now at:
    http://store.palm.com/product/index....ductId=2608806

Whole kit and kaboodle for $149.

Lowest I've seen TomTom 6 for on ebay is around $120.
    A bluetooth GPS on ebay will run around $50 or more.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    Ooops - the palm sale is for the palm version - not the windoze version
    Sprint
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    go with a Fredom Mini GPS Receiver from the treocentral store...it's a great product for only 89 bucks...I have it sync in less than 30sec. and has had no bluetooth issues as some receivers do
    Quote Originally Posted by pteezay View Post
    go with a Fredom Mini GPS Receiver from the treocentral store...it's a great product for only 89 bucks...I have it sync in less than 30sec. and has had no bluetooth issues as some receivers do

I bought a Holux M1200 for about half that and have had no problems with it. It's also able to be carried on a keychain. It's about the size of a pack of gum. Of course the hardware GPS device is only a small piece of the pie.
    The software you use makes all the difference in the world.
    Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I have used Copilot 6 and have updated it to the Copilot 7. Everything workings great for me.

I looked at Copilot. It looks expensive. $299
    Sprint
    Ooops - the palm sale is for the palm version - not the windoze version
    Actually it lists the 700wx as one of the supported Treos.
    TomTom 6, most def.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....