1.    #1  
    I will be travelling to Israel this week and want to bring and use my Treo. Can anyone confirm that calls will be expensive, but possible (this is what verizon told me).

Also, with a Wi-Fi card, will I be able to use Wireless Sync and internet?

Thanks.
    You can take your Treo and use its PDA functions, but you cannot make or receive calls. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA providers and in Israel, like in most other parts of the world, they use a different standard, GSM.

As for wifi, that'll work if you envision using Skype for calls and so forth.

Best solution (aside from Skype-ing over wifi) is to get an unlocked GSM phone and buy a local prepaid SIM card in Israel for use over there.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  3.    #3  
    I thought the phone functon would work, but in "roaming" mode.

Can anyone confirm?
    A Verizon phone in Israel? Not a chance.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Not unless they have an international plan or you have the blackberry that does both CDMA and GSM. But the Treo I don't think so.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  6.    #6  
    My plan says I can dial out internationally and the verizon support guy I spoke to said I will be able to receive calls and have roaming service.

Does any of this make sense?
    Yes, if you use international roaming, you should be able to make and receive calls, but I would still consider getting a cheap unlocked phone as opposed to paying the high costs of international roaming. I'd go look for a cheap, unlocked GSM Treo 650 and use that instead.

You should be able to use wireless sync and browse the internet with a wifi card.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Trevante, I will have another GSM phone with me but will use this to communicate ota and as a phone in an emergency.

I just ordered the SDIO Wi-Fi card and hope it works as advertised!
    Israel is one a a number of countires that uses CDMA (inaddition to GSM??). Presumably, then, roaming would work.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Not unless they have an international plan or you have the blackberry that does both CDMA and GSM. But the Treo I don't think so.
    Both Verizon and Sprint work in Israel-
    I was just there with both services this past summer-
    Sprint is automatic- Verizon you have to enable international calling from the 800 number before you leave-
    With Verizon you can sms as well- but not with Sprint- no email or data with sprint- not sure about Verizon (My Treo is Sprint, I have a regular LG cell phone on Verizon)- phone calls are more expensive on Sprint than Verizon (I don't remember the cost, but they'll tell you when you call and enable it)- I did have trouble texting for some reason from Verizon- sometimes I had to put in the international country codes, sometimes not- but finally was consistent when I would just text to the 10 digit number @vtext.com- and it went thru every time. Phone calls were trouble free- they've got better coverage over the whole (TINY) country that we do- even in the middle of the Judean desert.
    The only thing you have to watch out for, is if anyone calls you who doesn't know your in Israel -it'll go right through and the per minute costs will add up- texts cost more too (although the texting was only about 10 cents a text- but double check that, I may be remembering incorrectly)

Have a nice time
    Last edited by marksr; 11/20/2007 at 07:31 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the detailed info Marksr. Will I be charged for calls that I do not answer? Did you use Wi-Fi with your Sprint?
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boboo View Post
    Thanks for the detailed info Marksr. Will I be charged for calls that I do not answer? Did you use Wi-Fi with your Sprint?
    I believe calls you don't answer would go straigjht to voicemail, and it'll probably just cost you minutes to call in (if you're calling from your from your cell, obviously) to retrieve the messages.
    As for wifi- I actually was looking to buy a card to use before I left, but never got around to it-
    my understanding is that WIFI should have no charge (unless the hotel, or internet cafe has fees for it)- you're going through the router's ISP, not Sprint or Verizon or whoever they're roaming on-