1.    #1  
    Okay - a new 750 is arriving Monday. Been with Palm OS for years - this will be my first WM phone. Lots of great threads around here. Almost too many! A couple questions:

1. Before doing ANYTHING with the phone, should I put WM 6 on it? I know I want it eventually - does it make the most sense to do it right away?

2. Everybody seems to recommend a pile of "must have" programs. One on most lists is SBP Mobile Shell. Should that really be the first program I put on it?

3. I'm assuming I can run a 680 with Palm OS and Hotsync on the same machine as the 750 with WM and Activesync. Is that okay or am I going to make a mess?

I'm also assuming that I'll play with it for awhile and add programs as I find annoyances/limits etc. Unless there's a must, must, must have to get it working well.

Thanks!
    Hi Cascade,

Welcome to the WM world.. I made the same un-nerving step a few months ago and whilst it is a bit of relearning exercise I do really like the 750.

1. In regards to WM6, YES!!! It is really an essential update. There are several significant bugs in WM5, like the audio mute issue and situations where you are unable to answer a call. WM6 is much more stable and has great new features.

2. It was a good few weeks into my owning the 750 until I installed SPB Mobile Shell.. I wouldn't consider it a 'must have'. I find I use features of SPB Pocket Plus much more. While your playing around its also good to try SPB Backup, as you are able to make snapshot backups on the device and then return to them when you break something, it has a free trial. (I also use Flexmail for IMAP-IDLE ((push)) email).

3. I'm using a Mac so no idea

See 2. The Treo is a great device and Palm have done some good work in palming it.. But it is still windows and as a review from the round robin put it, its a great tinkers device... So be prepared to tinker.

Good luck..!
  3. yud
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Okay - a new 750 is arriving Monday. Been with Palm OS for years - this will be my first WM phone.

3. I'm assuming I can run a 680 with Palm OS and Hotsync on the same machine as the 750 with WM and Activesync. Is that okay or am I going to make a mess?
    Welcome to the WM world, and if you're like me then prepare yourself for a big shock!
    WM is not Palm OS. It's a lot slower, a lot less stable and needs LOTS of resets. LOTS! WM6 is a huge improvement over 5, but still crap compares with Palm OS.

The biggest shock for me was ActiveSync, which in my opinion is the most pathetic attempt to date by microsoft to call a piece of $%^t "software".

As for sync'ing both HotSync and ActiveSync on the same machine: it depends if you sync your PIM db's with Palm Desktop or with Outlook. If PD, there is no prob. If OL, there SHOULD be no problem, but AS is such a crappy piece of $%^t that you never know what it's going to do. Make sure you have backups upon backups of your data before you sync for the first time. Sync regularly and have frequent backups to card.

All in all, I'm sure you'll love the 750. It is far better than any other WM device I tried. Just keep in mind it's NOT a Palm OS device.

Y.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro