1.    #1  
    General question - if you install the WM6 Rom, can you ever go back to WM5 if necessary? And how so?

Also - I remember reading issues with Goodlink and WM6 - anyone using it and if so, what version and any ill effects?

Many thanks
    Are you installing on an ATT/Cingular 750? If so, wait for the official ATT WM6 ROM. Or maybe don't do it at all.

When I installed the update for the 8525, HTC said Goodlink still had a problem on WM6. I don't know if it's the same for the 750, but it could be.

From the HTC site: GOOD MOBILE MESSAGING USERS - IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    At this time, Good Mobile Messaging is not supported on the AT&T 8525 with Windows Mobile 6. It is recommended that Good Mobile Messaging users not upgrade their device's firmware at this time but download the WM6 update and save it for when Good Mobile Messaging is supported on the AT&T 8525 with Windows Mobile 6. Please note that the latest Windows Mobile 6 firmware is a permanent upgrade once it has been loaded on your AT&T 8525. There is no way to roll back the AT&T 8525 to Windows Mobile 5 once the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade has been completed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There seems to be some ambiguity on the ability to roll back to WM5. I believe some say they have been able to do it but software developers claim you might not be able to or even say you can't.

As far as WM6 compatibility goes on a 750 you are fine as long as you have GMM 5.0. I was able to use GMM 4.9 but they claim it is not compatible. Auto complete did not work but I just disabled it in the Windows settings. It is also slow on 5.0 but at least it works
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    There seems to be some ambiguity on the ability to roll back to WM5. ... but software developers claim you might not be able to or even say you can't.
    In either case, they'd be dead wrong. Flashing the phone to WM6 is no different than flashing a WM5 image onto it. The phone simply doesn't care unless the person doing the flashing is not using proven methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    In either case, they'd be dead wrong. Flashing the phone to WM6 is no different than flashing a WM5 image onto it. The phone simply doesn't care unless the person doing the flashing is not using proven methods.
    I have flashed to WM6, back to WM5 several times, as I've tested the various WM6 versions. Easy. There may be a different install routine and memory allocation on the new ATT version that may interfere with random flashbacks. But they will provide a rollback to their own version.
    Was this on a locked and branded phone, or a factory unbranded one?

Looks like they're discouraging it on the locked and branded 8525. I understand the factory ones allow more freedom to flash. I have no problem with WM6 anyway, but they seem to claim there's no rollback to the ATT WM5 ROM.

Obviously I don't know what they'll do with the official ATT WM6 750 ROM, they seem to be having trouble getting it out in the first place. But if the 8525 is any guide, I'd say they'll claim the same thing. The newer ATT ROMs seem to have all their multi-media marketing, LOL!

P.S. The update page on the European 750 also says you cannot roll back to WM5. So maybe it can only be done by someone who really knows what they're doing and has a copy of the old ROM?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/17/2007 at 01:43 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    I have flashed to WM6, back to WM5 several times, as I've tested the various WM6 versions. Easy. There may be a different install routine and memory allocation on the new ATT version that may interfere with random flashbacks.
    Random flashbacks? Phone's suffer from shell-shock?

But they will provide a rollback to their own version.
    Impossibly doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Was this on a locked and branded phone, or a factory unbranded one?

Looks like they're discouraging it on the locked and branded 8525. I understand the factory ones allow more freedom to flash. I have no problem with WM6 anyway, but they seem to claim there's no rollback to the ATT WM5 ROM.

Obviously I don't know what they'll do with the official ATT WM6 750 ROM, they seem to be having trouble getting it out in the first place. But if the 8525 is any guide, I'd say they'll claim the same thing. The newer ATT ROMs seem to have all their multi-media marketing, LOL!

P.S. The update page on the European 750 also says you cannot roll back to WM5. So maybe it can only be done by someone who really knows what they're doing and has a copy of the old ROM?
    My phone is branded and locked. Using the SD method bypasses all of the version checking that you get with the exe installer. I have rolled back several times from several different versions. I am currently using the ROW unbranded ROM, but the SIM is still locked to ATT.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingheel View Post
    General question - if you install the WM6 Rom, can you ever go back to WM5 if necessary? And how so?

Also - I remember reading issues with Goodlink and WM6 - anyone using it and if so, what version and any ill effects?

Many thanks
    Running the leaked wm6 rom with GoodMobile and running fine.
    No problems.
    ATT branded 750.
    where do you get the wm5 rom to revert back too?
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    My phone is branded and locked. Using the SD method bypasses all of the version checking that you get with the exe installer. I have rolled back several times from several different versions. I am currently using the ROW unbranded ROM, but the SIM is still locked to ATT.
    Oh, the SD method. OK!

Scuba, good question!

xda-dev.