Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I realize that tethering with PDAnet is completely free, even by bluetooth.

However something odd happened today, I was trying to get my phone to tether via bluetooth by PDAnet today, but failed... i ended up going into the software that came with my bluetooth dongle, and connecting that way

they asked me for a user name and password (didnt enter either of those things)

and i just put in #777 for the number; and presto! my pc gained connection via bluetooth... no software running on my phone....

the odd thing is, my phone never said it was connected to EVDO, or even connected at all.... though there i was online.....

so... being this isnt PDAnet's workings.... do you think I will be charged for doing this??
    u will get charged it logs into the data network with ur user id and pass provided by your Carrier. thats how they track it. not but the software u use to connect.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post

However something odd happened today, I was trying to get my phone to tether via bluetooth by PDAnet today, but failed... i ended up going into the software that came with my bluetooth dongle, and connecting that way

they asked me for a user name and password (didnt enter either of those things)

and i just put in #777 for the number; and presto! my pc gained connection via bluetooth... no software running on my phone....

the odd thing is, my phone never said it was connected to EVDO, or even connected at all.... though there i was online.....

so... being this isnt PDAnet's workings.... do you think I will be charged for doing this??
    If you stay under the limit for your carrier's fake unlimited data plan then they won't say anything. Most of us have been using PDANet since the Treo 700w came out.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    If you stay under the limit for your carrier's fake unlimited data plan then they won't say anything. Most of us have been using PDANet since the Treo 700w came out.
    ^^;; but i connected with out PDAnet

however, I only loaded 2 pages.... I wonder how much they will try to get out of me for that
    I have never used any software to tether my 700Wx to my Mac.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I connect via b/t w/o PDAnet frequently (my wife likes to steal my USB ports to charge her iPod!), never seen a charge. Don't worry about it. PDAnet via USB is faster, and I like the charge going into the phone, but b/t without PDAnet doesn't seem to cause any VZW alarms to go off.
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    Tethering your phone without a "phone as modem" service violates your Sprint service contract. So while PDANet works, it is in violation of your service contract.

Sprint has the capability to detect this type of usage but so far has chosen not to do so.

Nothing, besides time and money, prevents Sprint from clamping down on the use of products like PDANet without a PAM contract.

Would I use PDANet? In a heart beat.

But with the knowledge that Sprint could ding me for a fee sometime in the future.
    Look. I pay for unlimited data for about a year now. I bluetooth with my Mac Powerbook all the time with NO SOFTWARE and never get charged for anything. You arent doing anything besides transferring data through the same method different medium. Theres no real way of sprint tracking anybody unless they analyze your usage in which your paying for unlimited data anyways.

As far as dgoodsi i dont know what hes talking about i never signed anything on my contract that said anything to do with "phone as modem" it says on the box you can use the phone as modem therefore its not an extra feature. Your paying for unlimited data and your just utilizing this service through a different medium therefore your not violating anything. You wont get charged and if you do Sprint will have to find a way to track it in which they cant even properly patch the phone i dont see them coming out with any type of spyware anytime soon.

Phone as Modem capable
    Take advantage of broadband speeds on your laptop by using your Sprint® Mobile Broadband Smart Device Treo™ 700wx by Palm® as a wireless modem. No other hardware is necessary.

Well it doesnt state no other software necessary and they use the term "capable" but thats brief enough for me!
    Last edited by Jpkore; 11/16/2007 at 01:28 PM.
    Jpkore, why the hostility. I only pointed out that there is a risk, I also stated that I take that risk myself.

To address specific points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpkore View Post
    You arent doing anything besides transferring data through the same method different medium. Theres no real way of sprint tracking anybody unless they analyze your usage in which your paying for unlimited data anyways.
    Once upon a time Sprint did analyze usage, and they could do it again. Every request that comes from your laptop through your phone identifies itself as coming from an IP other than your phone, so it would be a trivial thing for Sprint to monitor.

As far as dgoodsi i dont know what hes talking about i never signed anything on my contract that said anything to do with "phone as modem" it says on the box you can use the phone as modem therefore its not an extra feature. Your paying for unlimited data and your just utilizing this service through a different medium therefore your not violating anything.
    You signed a contract when you got your plan. Your phone is PAM capable, that does not translate into being included. PAM is an optional service.

Don't want to take my word for it, fine. Read the contract your self at http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/le...cy_popup.shtml. Look for the section titled "SPRINT PCS SPECIFIC SERVICES", or here, I'll just quote it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprint
    Except with phone-as-modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) on a plan with unlimited Vision/Power Vision as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse.
    You wont get charged and if you do Sprint will have to find a way to track it in which they cant even properly patch the phone i dont see them coming out with any type of spyware anytime soon.
    As you can see agree to let Sprint drop your service with no notice should they detect misuse. Detection of misuse is possible without spyware, a simple packet check of every packet coming from your phone. This is already standard on most networks and could easily be done by Sprint, SHOULD THEY CHOOSE TOO.

Phone as Modem capable
    Take advantage of broadband speeds on your laptop by using your Sprint® Mobile Broadband Smart Device Treo™ 700wx by Palm® as a wireless modem. No other hardware is necessary.
    No other hardware is necessary, you simply call up Sprint and say "I want PAM added to my account."

Well it doesnt state no other software necessary and they use the term "capable" but thats brief enough for me!
    "Capable" means it can be done, "capable" mentions nothing about cost.
    hostility? its a message board i wouldnt take anything to heart Im not sure if the contract has changed sicne the last one i signed but i def not remember seeing that in there, either way ill declare defeat on that issue.

All in all folks Sprint has technology to find out where we are, what we are doing but nobody is using it. Theyc ant even fix the problems witht he phone let alone the problems its users are creating hah!