Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgilligan View Post
    I have attempted to use DUN from home and various airports. It has never worked for me.

It tries to connect multiple times then disconnects. I know a lot of other people using the 700wx have had similar issues.
    Hmmm...

Are you paying for the data cause with Alltel I have to pay like 30 bucks a month for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    Warning..This is a rant just to blow off steam. If you do not wish to read such posts, now is the time to leave.

Being a Verizon customer, I don't get much to chose from when it comes to SmartPhones. I had a 700w for nearly 2 years until it gave up the ghost. Decided to go with a 700wx as replacement since nothing else tripped my trigger. So far, I've had to have the new phone replaced once because the external antenna connector came lose from the board. Now, the replacement phone is freezing or won't wake up. I hard reset it tonight and it stuck while booting. Having had enough, I slammed it on the floor. Amazingly, it now works better than it ever has. Since this is a corporate phone, I can either exchange it for a BB, which I consider a last resort, or try a Samsung or 6800. Not crazy about either of those either. OR, I could switch to AT&T, which happens to be our company's preferred carrier. However, all of my clients are on VZW which keeps my monthly bill really low.

I've had it with Palm. The 700 series of phones is a joke. I really have to wonder if they will ever make a decent phone again. I've also had it with VZW and their pathetic phone offerings.

Thanks for listening.
    well dont get the 680 then buddy
  3.    #23  
    Well,,,my current Wx has missed 2 very important phone calls in the last 3 days. No missed call alert or voicemail alert. Once it was discovered, I also discovered I couldn't dial out even though the rest of the functions worked properly. A soft reset cured it, but the frustrating thing is not knowing when it will happen again. What is the general consensus on the 750?

I sure wish Verizon offered a wider choice of PPC phones.
    Well,,,my current Wx has missed 2 very important phone calls in the last 3 days. No missed call alert or voicemail alert. Once it was discovered, I also discovered I couldn't dial out even though the rest of the functions worked properly. A soft reset cured it, but the frustrating thing is not knowing when it will happen again. What is the general consensus on the 750?

I sure wish Verizon offered a wider choice of PPC phones.
    I certainly feel your pain. No telling how many calls I have missed as well.

Most, if not all the time a soft reset cures it. I have gotten in the habit of doing a soft reset at least once a day.

Some mornings I find the phone off. All settings tell it to stay awake. Yet at least 2-3 times a week the phone is off. Only way I can get it back on is a soft reset. This only happens if the battery is at least 70% or lower.

My previous phone was a Moto V3M (Sprint) and not once did I have to reset it, and doubt if I ever missed a call.

Dont even want to comment on the times I accidentially hit the volume button and missed calls. ( I keep the volume low usually on the first tick from the bottom)

One thing I did learn is to empty the browser cache regularly. Heavy browsing results in lots of memory hogging files in the cache which will slow the 700wx to a crawl.

Also noticed with my SD card inserted (I have my pictures go to the SD card) and view them afterwords I get random Windows Mobile errors. I have found ejecting the card and reinserting will clear this. Of course I do another soft reset.

As the original poster stated in the first post, this is my rant....lol
    Firstly, I definately have to agree with the "grass is always greener comment" as I have been a long time Sprint sucker and have often thought about switching over to Verizon and letting them screw me for awhile...I always stay because my monthly fees for unlimited data, etc. seem so much cheaper than the same quality of access from Vzn, besides that when I have actually called Sprint's "Advanced" Techies they have for the most part helped me out except with problems that are obviously a firmware/device issue such as Picture Messaging & the way the WX is more of a pda than a phone (which is great for us geeks but the whole pulling up a browser to open a pic someone sends you is still irritating).

Secondly, I do have to say on behalf of Palm that they have in the past made some great products (if you like the Palm OS) that have stood up to the test of time obviously as you can still see a few fossils carrying around those dinosaurs @ the office. I had three or four Palm PDA's and then switched to WM with the Axim and I don't think I'll every be switching back, my dad has the 700p and he can do everything he needs to with his, and he's certainly not tech oriented so that is just a meal for different tastes. I'm on my second wx since Sprint offered it but my first one failed from being dropped out of my sissor lift too many times 20+ feet, and it still worked but was starting to have issues. Previously I had a 6700 & I loved it at the time, when I had finally taken my toll on it's poor shell I was going to go with the 6800 but it hadn't been released yet and I couldn't wait so here I am. My wx, although there are def. some issues, has always only required an occasional soft reset to run properly; and even though I know this isn't happening, after I run software a few times on my wx it's almost as if it is actually learning with the OS and then I don't have many problems. On that note, I couldn't wait long enough without my trinkets but I would assume if you were running solely your WM5 OS on your carriers connectivity we would probably all have very few problems with the wx. It may take some doing but if you read the forums here and elsewhere you will find alot of tips and tricks from great intellects that will help you overcome almost anything that may be causing freezing/errors.

Thanks for letting post, I don't often write in these forums, mainly just read but figured I might-as-well get that out there.
    Last edited by NewMC; 12/23/2007 at 10:21 PM.
    I first had a Treo 650. I used the sh*t out of it. And carried it with me comstantly while working.
    I've dropped that phone while climbing a ladder, and one time watched it fall out of my hand, hit the roof of a house, slide off of the roof and bounce off of the ground in a gravel backyard.

Amazingly it never stopped working.

Then one day while it was SAFELY in my phone pouch I was leaning against a prybar while changing a large motor on a Chiller and while leaning on the case, it smashed the screen! What luck! I dropped it 50 times and it only gets scratched up. (yeah, it was pretty rough cosmeticly but worked) and I break it when it's in it's case!

I almost bought another used one (like it was) but bought a new 700wx.
    I actually like the WM5 WAY BETTER than the 650's Palm OS not too mention faster internet. The 650 actually locked up more often as well.

Anyway, I am ranting, but just saying if this 700WX is as durable as the 650 was to my accidental drops, that would be awesome!

So far only drops from short distances, some minor scratches already (I use it at work) and I keep it in my shirt pocket so I'm not leaning on it.
    Well let me tell you, [rant on]

I agree whole heartedly with your rant. I have had similar issues and finally said f**k it and left Palm and Verizon.
    I went to AT&T and got the Tilt and it has been the best desicion I have made in a long time.
    So long Verizon, you phone delaying, GPS disabling, highest data rate charging, pathetic PPC selection having, nickle and diming piece of s**t!!
    And Palm, good riddance with your pathetic offering set...the "highly anticipated" 800w, when it is finally released, will have a feature set that MANY others have already surpassed for quite some time, at least 2 generations behind.
    I have stayed loyal since the original Palm Pilot, and have religeously purchased device after device...well it has come to an end!
    By 2009, when they predict their linux OS will be out (yah right, more delays to be sure, its their MO) I hope Android will have already stomped their asses into oblivion!
    Hurts the bottom line, doesn't it Palm? I hope your 2008 is even more pathetic than this year! [rant off]
    Last edited by Stozmon; 12/29/2007 at 02:06 PM.
  8.    #28  
    As a follow up to my rant... I dumped Verizon and Palm for AT&T and the Tilt. Like Stozman says, it was the best decision I've made in a long time. The Tilt as sooo much more to offer.
    As a follow up to my rant... I dumped Verizon and Palm for AT&T and the Tilt. Like Stozman says, it was the best decision I've made in a long time. The Tilt as sooo much more to offer.
    AMEN BROTHER!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stozmon View Post
    Well let me tell you, [rant on]

I agree whole heartedly with your rant. I have had similar issues and finally said f**k it and left Palm and Verizon.
    I went to AT&T and got the Tilt and it has been the best desicion I have made in a long time.
    So long Verizon, you phone delaying, GPS disabling, highest data rate charging, pathetic PPC selection having, nickle and diming piece of s**t!!
    And Palm, good riddance with your pathetic offering set...the "highly anticipated" 800w, when it is finally released, will have a feature set that MANY others have already surpassed for quite some time, at least 2 generations behind.
    I have stayed loyal since the original Palm Pilot, and have religeously purchased device after device...well it has come to an end!
    By 2009, when they predict their linux OS will be out (yah right, more delays to be sure, its their MO) I hope Android will have already stomped their asses into oblivion!
    Hurts the bottom line, doesn't it Palm? I hope your 2008 is even more pathetic than this year! [rant off]

What more could one say? That pretty much covers it. I've had my 700w for 6 weeks now. It's been a very interesting journey and it's surely coming to an end soon. I never really got into the whole PPC thing because of my lust for the real deal PC. Then one day not so long ago I figured I'd give it a whirl.
    Well what a dumba** choice that was. It's almost like having windows 3.1 back in the day. Yes, it was new technology but my god what headaches it would cause. I've hacked this stupid phone so much I don't know if it even realizes it's a phone anymore. Then after all of that I blazed a ROM for it cuz Verizon and Palm suck a weenie when it comes to software compilation. Now finally it works excellent and I still think it's a P.O.S. Guess I'm just pissed at it because of all the lil quarks I've had to overcome. I wish a company would put out a phone that really kicked a**. Give us all it's got instead of their stupid limitations. It's almost like they only allow so many hours for R&D and then say f**k it it's yours buddy... Good luck.
    I will continue to work with PPC's and hopefully one day be as pleased with one as I am my current PC but until then I'll be cussing nightly and trying to make it better. God only knows what smartphone I'll buy next.
    For those of you who love the Palm and the window's os, I'm glad you're pleased. This is mearly an opinion of someone who has high expectations.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by lllboredlll View Post
    What more could one say? That pretty much covers it. I've had my 700w for 6 weeks now. It's been a very interesting journey and it's surely coming to an end soon. I never really got into the whole PPC thing because of my lust for the real deal PC. Then one day not so long ago I figured I'd give it a whirl.
    Well what a dumba** choice that was. It's almost like having windows 3.1 back in the day. Yes, it was new technology but my god what headaches it would cause. I've hacked this stupid phone so much I don't know if it even realizes it's a phone anymore. Then after all of that I blazed a ROM for it cuz Verizon and Palm suck a weenie when it comes to software compilation. Now finally it works excellent and I still think it's a P.O.S. Guess I'm just pissed at it because of all the lil quarks I've had to overcome. I wish a company would put out a phone that really kicked a**. Give us all it's got instead of their stupid limitations. It's almost like they only allow so many hours for R&D and then say f**k it it's yours buddy... Good luck.
    I will continue to work with PPC's and hopefully one day be as pleased with one as I am my current PC but until then I'll be cussing nightly and trying to make it better. God only knows what smartphone I'll buy next.
    For those of you who love the Palm and the window's os, I'm glad you're pleased. This is mearly an opinion of someone who has high expectations.

So far, the Tilt/Kaiser/TytnII is the best WMOS device on the market, IMHO. Of course, the carrier will attempt to castrate it. Since it's a global device, other ROMs are readily available.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'll jump in too. Mine has been nothing but trouble since day 1. I have had every issue and problem I could find. I miss calls regularly which is totally unacceptable. The whole ring tone/volume vs ring type issue just plain pisses me off. Anything below 50% on my volume and it doesn't ring/vibrate or even acknowledge a call came in.

I have yet to get BT sync to work with Vista. I've contacted MS and they have no clue. I've spoken to a number of people at Palm and each and every one has given me the exact same solution GUARANTEED to fix the problem. Open the back cover and do a soft reset. C'mon please! BT I've found for anything other than a headset is completely useless. Verizon's position is that they don't say it will work for any intended purpose so tough luck.

Oddly my DUN works flawlessly via cable and I use it a lot, it's actually awesome!

I just found out the other day that after 3 replacements they are supposed to upgrade your phone, so I'm going to go for that route. I've had it with the 700wx. If you look at the other forums out there the consensus is about the same,
    Hmm...there seems to be a common link between about 90% of these "horrible" 700wxs...Verizon.

I have one with Sprint, and it's great. No problems that I haven't brought on myself.

As far as the consensus on other forums being the same, there's one thing you do have to realize. People with bad experiences let everyone know about it. People with good experiences just stay happy and quiet. They don't start threads on forums. I've been an active forum member on several forums, ranging from computers to cell phones to cars, and there's always someone who brings up the point that everybody else on the forum says something sucks, too, and every time, I give the same response. The people on this forum are NOT the full user base of the 700wx. There are very few executives who have the time, or even care enough, to come to a forum and post about how good their phones are (the largest portion of Treo users are business-class users).

Anyway, yeah, Verizon does have that lemon law benefit, so if you really hate it that much, just switch it out, and problem solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Hmm...there seems to be a common link between about 90% of these "horrible" 700wxs...Verizon.

I have one with Sprint, and it's great. No problems that I haven't brought on myself.

As far as the consensus on other forums being the same, there's one thing you do have to realize. People with bad experiences let everyone know about it. People with good experiences just stay happy and quiet. They don't start threads on forums. I've been an active forum member on several forums, ranging from computers to cell phones to cars, and there's always someone who brings up the point that everybody else on the forum says something sucks, too, and every time, I give the same response. The people on this forum are NOT the full user base of the 700wx. There are very few executives who have the time, or even care enough, to come to a forum and post about how good their phones are (the largest portion of Treo users are business-class users).

Anyway, yeah, Verizon does have that lemon law benefit, so if you really hate it that much, just switch it out, and problem solved!

You beat me to it!

Do you guys realize VERIZON is well known for NEUTERING features form their phones???!!! Weather it's a Palm or a Motorolla Razor. VERIZON kills some of the phones features, and just generally sucks for their plans and all that crap because they are money grubbing WHORES!!!

I think my 700wx kicks ***! I'm doing tons of stuff that I never THOUGHT I could do and without problems.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by paysonbadboy View Post
    You beat me to it!

Do you guys realize VERIZON is well known for NEUTERING features form their phones???!!! Weather it's a Palm or a Motorolla Razor. VERIZON kills some of the phones features, and just generally sucks for their plans and all that crap because they are money grubbing WHORES!!!

I think my 700wx kicks ***! I'm doing tons of stuff that I never THOUGHT I could do and without problems.
    What do missing features have to do with basic device functionality? If the damn thing worked like it was supposed to, I could care less if it was missing features compared to a Sprint device. Bottom line, the thing isn't for me and never will be again. For that matter, Verizon won't be getting any more of my business unless their device selection changes drastically. It won't help any when they open their network since very few CDMA devices are made anyway. The only reason CDMA devices exist in the first place is because Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel ask for them. I don't see things changing for the better in the future.
    I've been following this thread from the time it was started, and I'm actually surprised to hear some of these experiences. Sincerely, I'd be mad too, but my Verizon Treo 700wx is awesome. It never freezes up, misses a phone call, voicemail, or text message. I use all the phone's built-in capability and then some by adding some programs offered commercially and on forums as well. Probably the best ppc phone I've ever had. Had plenty too. Just my 2 cents. Good to you all who switch.
    Um...did you know that South Korea uses CDMA as it's major protocol. A few Canadian companies use CDMA. There are companies in Mexico that use CDMA. It exists in other countries, too. CDMA phones are not made only for Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel. They're made for many companies across the globe. Sure, it doesn't have the giant user base that GSM does, but it's still a major player, and not only in the USA.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Um...did you know that South Korea uses CDMA as it's major protocol. A few Canadian companies use CDMA. There are companies in Mexico that use CDMA. It exists in other countries, too. CDMA phones are not made only for Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel. They're made for many companies across the globe. Sure, it doesn't have the giant user base that GSM does, but it's still a major player, and not only in the USA.
    You are correct. Canada gets what we have so no advantage there. BUT, since CDMA is still the minority, device development is by demand only. No manufacturer will produce a device if a carrier doesn't think they can sell it.
    Well there's always two sides to ever rant. I'll side where I always end up for some odd reason. First, Verizon needs to grow the hell up and put some development into their phones and software. They are stuck in the 80's so to speak. Secondly, sprint (nextel) can kiss my rosey red anus if they think I'll give them one more cent penny for their sorry, no good, pothetic, worthless, pointless, call dropping, staticy, no signal having P.O.S. service. So, there's my 2 cents. I'll go for service far before I'll worry if my phone's software can do backflips and drive my car while it's at it.

By the way just for the record.......Dell PC's suck anus aswell.
    0110001101110010011000010110001101101011011010010110111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000111 0111011011110111001001101100011001000010000001101111011011100110010100100000011000110110111101100100 0110010100100000011000010111010000100000011000010010000001110100011010010110110101100101
    I have a 700wx and have used both a Jawbone (traded-in - too bulky) and now using a z9 BT headset.
    I am unable to get voice activated dialing to work.
    Has anyone perfected what should be a "simple" process on their 700wx?
    I am on the Veriizon network for what it matters...
    Are there any BT headsets that allow voice activated dialing?
    THanks in advance...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast