1.    #1  
    The Treo 500 comes with a Side Button and it launches Internet Explorer. Is there anyway to configure it to launch other prog?
    I am trying to figure that out too... unfortunately, it does not come with the buttons settings as in the 750...strange omission I must say
  3.    #3  
    To answer my own question.... I am using a program called AE Button Plus and it is able to assign action to hardware key.

I have assigned the Side Button and Volume Button and so far, it seems to be OK.

Just a word of caution, be careful when assigning action to the direction key and the action/OK key. If you made any mistake, you will not be able to navigate the menu of the phone (it happened to me and fortunately, I was able to uninstall the prog thru ActiveSync)
    I'm pretty confident you can do the same kinda thing with SmartToolkit. Which is also a free application.
  5.    #5  
    I have tried SmartToolkit but it hangs my phone occasionally. So far, AE Button is doing well. To be fair, I was trying to use SmartToolkit to do more than just mapping the button, so maybe if I only used it for button mapping, it will be as good as AE Button.
    Quote Originally Posted by hansolo View Post
    I have tried SmartToolkit but it hangs my phone occasionally. So far, AE Button is doing well. To be fair, I was trying to use SmartToolkit to do more than just mapping the button, so maybe if I only used it for button mapping, it will be as good as AE Button.
    Hmmm... I loaded AE buttons to my 500v, but it caused wierd stuff to happen on my phone, I had to restore my entire phone from the previous backup to rescue it... after that I don't dare to install AE...

I wonder if there are any reg key which we can hack to make the same happen.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Try to go to "Prefs -> Buttons". There should be a drop down menu for assigning the side button. Hope this helps. Let me know.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966 View Post
    Try to go to "Prefs -> Buttons". There should be a drop down menu for assigning the side button. Hope this helps. Let me know.
    There is no such menu in WM6. Are you thinking of Palm OS?

On my Treo 500v, the side button doesn't do anything at all!
  9.    #9  
    By default, pressing and holding the side button launched Pocket IE
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    You have to press and hold it quite a long time - got it now!

Are there any other suggestions for software to reassign buttons other than AE Button Plus and SmartToolkit? Is there anything that specifically says it works on WM6 smartphone edition?