1.    #1  
    Just posting this because I find it very odd...

I picked up a Centro awhile back for fun and have been using it for the last 3 weeks.

I did a simple ESN swap with Sprint, no issues. My 700wx not sits being charged and played with on occasion. The other day I noticed by EV bars were active and low and behold, Weatherpanel had been updated.

Anyways, it's been it a couple of days now and I can definitely say that I have full EvDO access on the 700wx and Centro but only 1 phone on the account. I can't make and receive calls on the 700wx but can just use data on it, which is quite neat, even use it as a modem (yeah, I thought about doing a double modem with the Centro, but both use the same port, so no-go. But if I can change the port...)

Anyone else have that happen before? What's up it and Sprint? Seems odd (I wonder if my 6700 still gets access, lol).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Weird... I have 2 6700s sitting around... you better believe I'm trying this when I get home from work today... thx for the heads-up Mal...
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Tried with my 700Wx. (Bought a used Mogul recently and swapped it to my active number.) My Treo detects the network, but won't connect. Bummer!
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Quite a few years ago I gave my old Sprint phone (Sanyo flip w/ready-link) to my friend. I did a master clear and thought I was done. He activated the phone, but was accessing Vision UNDER MY NAME! He thanked me for the ringtones (yes, I got charged for them) and I deleted my data settings.

I can't believe 6 years or so later Sprint still hasn't fixed this problem...but this is the first I'm hearing about it again
  5.    #5  
    Cool, thanks for the feedback.

The only thing I did was

(1) Left the phone alone i.e. Activesync and WP kept trying to access the 'net

(2) The Centro and 700wx were often next to each other

So maybe Sprint's network gave up refusing the connection or EvDO is a virus that my 700wx caught from the Centro

Weird. I'll probably end up re-activating it soon anyways, but it's quite fun to have 2 devices with net access.

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Update for me. Came home after work after leaving my Treo in the cradle all day--it did connect and update my weather and even did an exchange sync. (I'm also syncing on to my server with my Mogul.)

I even had a voicemail message, but couldn't retrieve it from my Treo. Got a message saying that my phone wasn't found on the network.

Funny and sort of cool. It's a good way to keep my backup phone updated and current.

Thanks, Mal.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    Update for me. Came home after work after leaving my Treo in the cradle all day--it did connect and update my weather and even did an exchange sync. (I'm also syncing on to my server with my Mogul.)

I even had a voicemail message, but couldn't retrieve it from my Treo. Got a message saying that my phone wasn't found on the network.

Funny and sort of cool. It's a good way to keep my backup phone updated and current.

Thanks, Mal.
    lol, yup that's it!

I get the VM notification as well and unable to retrieve (thankfully the 700 has the dismiss VM notification under Phone).

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $full$ $and$ $unlimited$ $data$.

I need to try it with my 6700 now. Throw WM Live Search on there with a GPS in the car and bam...

I have done this many times with regular cell phones. place the deactivated cell (must have had the same # as the currently activated cell) beside the activated cell. then get a friend to send you a text message. bot cells will receive it. take the deactivated cell and send a text it will work as well. but if you separate the cellular phones or turn off the activated cell the deactivated one will stop responding to the network. i dont know why it does this but i have had it happen multiple times.
  9. c0w
    i just noticed this on my 700wx too! got me a mogul the other day and my 700wx gets all my emails and the calendar updated too! the only thing that doesn't work is when i try n use pie to surf the net. weird.

Devices: HTC Mogul, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, mpx200
    Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300
    Its great for all of you who KEPT your phones, but what about those who sell them on ebay/craigslist/etc? They should really be mad aware of this somehow.

Anyone feel like going on a crusade???????
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Its great for all of you who KEPT your phones, but what about those who sell them on ebay/craigslist/etc? They should really be mad aware of this somehow.

Anyone feel like going on a crusade???????
    lol

But I think what Juggalo_X above said is true: when the phones are near each other, this happens, but when separated it will stop. Presumably "shipping" will constitute this seperation.

It reminds me of the ESN cloning discussions we had at ppcgeeks and this was mentioned: both phones near each other basically appear as the same device to the network. But if separated from the "home" phone, the cloned ESN will pop up on Sprint's grid and be flagged for scrutiny.

I think that's similar to what is happening here. Oh well, it's fun anyways.

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    This makes an odd kind of sense. My guess is that your old phone is piggybacking on the network connection to the tower that your new phone is using somehow. Once the new phone opens it, the old phone can use it. The tower probably tries to get some confirmation from the phone that it's "on the network" but when it sends it out, the new phone responds, and so it ok's whatever transfer that has been requested. Or something like this. Not being a cellular network technician, these are kind of wild guesses, but it does seem plausible..
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Hmm...I will have to try this with my a900...

I know when I first activated my a900 coming from an a740, I would get incoming texts on both lines. Usually my a740 was across the room from the a900. Just how far away do the phones have to be for this not to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, yup that's it!

I get the VM notification as well and unable to retrieve (thankfully the 700 has the dismiss VM notification under Phone).

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $full$ $and$ $unlimited$ $data$.

I need to try it with my 6700 now. Throw WM Live Search on there with a GPS in the car and bam...
    Have the same thing going on with my deactivated Verizon xv6600 for more than a year. Now serves as my gps display, but I haven't tried WLS yet. Have you? Any success?
    Does this work for VZW or is it a sprint only issue?