Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got really tired of waiting and figured out a simple way to use the unbranded installer to update my Cingular branded Treo 750.

Note that this what I discovered based on info on this site, and is for informational purposes only. It may not work with yours, or it may cause problems with your device.

I used the unbranded update installer, with a few simple tweaks.
    1. Download the official unbraded bits here: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...topUpdater.zip
    2. Extract the EXE file that is in the zip file (give it a specific folder to extract to, the zip file uses a funky folder name).
    3. Run the EXE file
    4. At the first screen, open up a CMD console, for Vista navigate to c:\users\your username\appdata\local\temp, for XP the temp directory can be found by typing SET in the CMD console.
    5. Do a dir /ad /od
    6. You'll see the temp directory of the installer as the last directory
    7. Enter the installer temp directory
    8. Edit payloads.xml file with notepad
    9.Replace the RWE carrier text with CNG
    10. Replace the low 1.16 version with 1.13
    11. Replace the high 1.16 version with 2.24
    12. Go back to the installer screen and continue with installation
    13. You must complete the installation successfully, if it fails, rerun the whole process. If it isn't successful, the flash ROM isn't "closed" and you won't see the new version numbers updated, and what not else as well.

Ta daaaaa and it runs HSDPA !!!
    Last edited by charliez; 11/25/2007 at 08:42 AM.
  2.    #2  
    No problems so far, works well, I'm not finding anything that I miss from the Cingular branded customizations.
    Hey, the above process works if your phone physically says: "Cingular" on the front. If it says: "AT&T", then change the 'CNG' part above to 'ATT'. FYI. And it does work.

By the way, when people say: runs HSPDA - that is a really big deal. When you see a 'U' in your title bar - it is fast, but when you see an 'H' - it is blazing fast. Oh, yeah.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliez View Post
    No problems so far, works well, I'm not finding anything that I miss from the Cingular branded customizations.
    So since I am starting to become totally dis heartened by the prospect of ever getting an official at&t release. What all features / programs do we lose using the generic rom?

Also what all needs to be customized or changed once the upgrade is complete to get it back hitting the web, etc so my data plan works?
    In Geological time Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Soon does mean 6months to 2 years.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The argument people have made is that they don't want to run an "unofficial" ROM on their Cingular-branded device for service/repair issues.

So doesn't installing the unbranded [ read unofficial ] ROM on your Cingular-branded Treo accomplish the same thing that you didn't want to happen?

I have the "leaked" WM6 on my 750 since it came out earlier this year and have had zero (0) problems.

I really don't want to get involved in this whole argument - but seriously folks, you are still installing an "unofficial" ROM, as related to official Cingular/ATT release.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I agree the only reason I am asking is I have come to the conclusion from various clues in various responses that we most likely will not get an official at&t rom therefore I am researching what all needs to be done to run the ROW version, as its as close to a "finished" ROM and full installer (read as not doing the cheeimg on an sd card install) as I can get as an AT&t user. I haven't loaded it yet as I'm still holding out a very slim hope well get it "soon" just researching all the options.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjasjit View Post
    The argument people have made is that they don't want to run an "unofficial" ROM on their Cingular-branded device for service/repair issues.

So doesn't installing the unbranded [ read unofficial ] ROM on your Cingular-branded Treo accomplish the same thing that you didn't want to happen?

I have the "leaked" WM6 on my 750 since it came out earlier this year and have had zero (0) problems.

I really don't want to get involved in this whole argument - but seriously folks, you are still installing an "unofficial" ROM, as related to official Cingular/ATT release.

In Geological time Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Soon does mean 6months to 2 years.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driazen View Post
    I haven't loaded it yet as I'm still holding out a very slim hope well get it "soon" just researching all the options.
    Driazen: I wasn't specifically targeting you in my response, I was making a generalized statement.

As far as I can tell, the main things you will lose by using a non-ATT/Cingular branded ROM will be the ATT content (AT&T Mall, AT&T Music, etc). Basically anything that would get you to spend more $$$ by using AT&T services (such as buying ringtones or music, videos, etc).

Your WAP/ISP Settings should be easily entered back in so all in all you won't really "lose" any functionality.

You just won't have any ATT/Cingular bloatware on your piece!

This is true. All you will have to do is set up any POP3 email accounts that you already had, because they will be gone from the device. You will not have the xPressMail stuff, the MediaNet stuff, the AT&T sounds, and the AT&T screens. You don't have to change anything like WAP settings or carrier information - that stuff must be on the SIM card.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks, I'm still holding out hope for an AT&T rom (my luck as of late dictates i wait on a supportable rom) but it's waining fast.

Driazen: I wasn't specifically targeting you in my response, I was making a generalized statement.

As far as I can tell, the main things you will lose by using a non-ATT/Cingular branded ROM will be the ATT content (AT&T Mall, AT&T Music, etc). Basically anything that would get you to spend more $$$ by using AT&T services (such as buying ringtones or music, videos, etc).

Your WAP/ISP Settings should be easily entered back in so all in all you won't really "lose" any functionality.

Did any of this exist on the WM5 750's, or is this something new?

I have a locked, Cingular branded Treo 750 that I bought in January '07, and I'm hard pressed to find much in the way of branded software or bloatware anywhere on the device.

In PIE, there are a few extra web-links stored in the Favorites, but I would hardly consider a web-link bloatware, and all of them are easily deleted from Favorites (For the record, they are MEdia Net, Explore Windows Mobile, Cingular Wireless Data Developer Support, Cingular Support Pocket PC, WindowsMedia.com, MSN Mobile, Palm Mobile Portal, Get TeleNav, Yahoo! News, Weather and ESPN).

The only thing in Programs other than the default WM apps is an icon for GetGood, which is just an html file with a link embedded in it to take you to their web site.

Will the elusive official update contain a bunch of junk beyond this? If so, I am more likely to go with the unbranded version just to avoid a bunch of extra junk I will never use.
    Quote Originally Posted by squi5h View Post

Will the elusive official update contain a bunch of junk beyond this? If so, I am more likely to go with the unbranded version just to avoid a bunch of extra junk I will never use.

I don't know about the "official" one, but the leaked one sure does. I accidentally pushed the MobiTV link and, even though it didn't install, I have been charged for MobiTV every month since. I have to call in and get a manual credit every month. ATT cannot find the "subscription" in their system, MobiTV can but says ATT has to do the canceling.

As far as having to remove WM6 before servicing- you don't. When my original 750 died, I sent it back in with WM 6 installed. I told them on the phone I had upgraded and asked if I had to remove it- they said no, that they didn't care. They also know I have it on now as the MobiTV link is on the leaked rom, not the original WM5 rom.
    Various phones + Pocket PC's + Treo 650 (that's been through hell and back) -->Treo 750w
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    On the Treo 650, the unbranded model had the ability for a laptop to connect to the Internet over the phone via bluetooth. The Cingular 650, however, had that feature disabled.

For those AT&T folks who have installed the unbranded WM6 OS on the Treo 750, are you able to connect to the Internet over your laptop? That one thing would definitely tip the scales for me to install the unbranded OS.
    i have an att locked phone and i followed the directions on this page (changing CNG to ATT) and everything worked. all applications do run faster than on WM5.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1in3 View Post
    For those AT&T folks who have installed the unbranded WM6 OS on the Treo 750, are you able to connect to the Internet over your laptop? That one thing would definitely tip the scales for me to install the unbranded OS.
    i will check to see if i can access the internet, via bluetooth, on my laptop tonight.
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Worked like a charm, thanks!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    So if everyone and their cousin can figure out how to use the Official Unbranded installer to update a CNG Treo 750, why in the #$%% can't Palm figure out how to release a working version. Are all of their engineers less technical than half of their customers?
    The holdup is not at Palm. It's at ATT. There was a problem with the use of the "emergency call" capabilities of the new software in some very specific and limited circumstances. But it's a safety issue and therefore had to be resolved before ATT would/could release the upgrade for distribution. It's in final testing now and will be out before the end of the month.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Support people from both AT&T and Palm told me yesterday that Palm has gotten the comments/questions back from AT&T and Palm is finalizing the OS. AT&T says they are "waiting for a link from Palm" and Palm said their engineers are going over it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    The holdup is not at Palm. It's at ATT. There was a problem with the use of the "emergency call" capabilities of the new software in some very specific and limited circumstances. But it's a safety issue and therefore had to be resolved before ATT would/could release the upgrade for distribution. It's in final testing now and will be out before the end of the month.
    Nice to hear from you again insidr. See if Palm would post this very statement on their website, even if they said "this will take 4 months to fix" no one would complain anymore and almost every person to an individual would stop asking questions, and stop moaning and wait the 4 months.

The repeated comments of "its coming soon" or "We can't tell you anything", or "we've had some issues that have delayed its deployment" without any explanation is what pisses people off. Hell if I were Palm I'd have flat out lied with a reason just to calm people by now.
    Is this unbranded version better than this version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=319898
    Two quick questions
    1)do i need a mini sd card to do the update (don't have one yet)
    2)I see reference to XP but I assume it'll run ok on Windows 2000? My main machine is a mac and my basement jukebox runs w2k so I'd be using that.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast