Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by charliez View Post
    I got really tired of waiting and figured out a simple way to use the unbranded installer to update my Cingular branded Treo 750.

Note that this what I discovered based on info on this site, and is for informational purposes only. It may not work with yours, or it may cause problems with your device.

I used the unbranded update installer, with a few simple tweaks.
    1. Download the official unbraded bits here: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...topUpdater.zip
    2. Extract the EXE file that is in the zip file (give it a specific folder to extract to, the zip file uses a funky folder name).
    3. Run the EXE file
    4. At the first screen, open up a CMD console, for Vista navigate to c:\users\your username\appdata\local\temp, for XP the temp directory can be found by typing SET in the CMD console.
    5. Do a dir /ad /od
    6. You'll see the temp directory of the installer as the last directory
    7. Enter the installer temp directory
    8. Edit payloads.xml file with notepad
    9.Replace the RWE carrier text with CNG
    10. Replace the low 1.16 version with 1.13
    11. Replace the high 1.16 version with 2.24
    12. Go back to the installer screen and continue with installation
    13. You must complete the installation successfully, if it fails, rerun the whole process. If it isn't successful, the flash ROM isn't "closed" and you won't see the new version numbers updated, and what not else as well.

Ta daaaaa and it runs HSDPA !!!
    Thank you! I just purchased a slightly used Cingular Treo 750 that came with the AT&T branding but since I don't run on AT&T I wanted to rid myself of their crapware ... and was able to do so with your guide!
    I got really tired of waiting and figured out a simple way to use the unbranded installer to update my Cingular branded Treo 750.

Note that this what I discovered based on info on this site, and is for informational purposes only. It may not work with yours, or it may cause problems with your device.

1. Download the official unbraded bits here: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...topUpdater.zip
    2. Extract the EXE file that is in the zip file (give it a specific folder to extract to, the zip file uses a funky folder name).
    3. Run the EXE file
    4. At the first screen, open up a CMD console, for Vista navigate to c:\users\your username\appdata\local\temp, for XP the temp directory can be found by typing SET in the CMD console.
    5. Do a dir /ad /od
    13. You must complete the installation successfully, if it fails, rerun the whole process. If it isn't successful, the flash ROM isn't "closed" and you won't see the new version numbers updated, and what not else as well.

---------------------------------------
    HI,
    i have 1.12-vfu and i want to unbrand it to 2.23 row.
    is it possible too ?

thanks,
    ran.
    1.12-vfu I'm not familiar with that carrier code. Is this a Vodafone model (750V) or just a standard 750?

If it's a 750V, you'll need to grab a copy of the WM6 updater from the EU version of the Palm website. The standard 750 ROM does not load on a 750V.

If it's a standard 750, PM me and I'll reply with links for the unbranded 2.27 version.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    Originally Posted by charliez

2. Expand the zip file (it's an EXE file).
    3. Run the EXE file
    5. Do a dir /ad /od

For those like me who are not computer savvy, I have a few questions.

1. What is a CMD Console?
    2. How do you open one? (I am running Vista)
    3. How do you do a dir/ad/od?
    4. What do the above abbreviations stand for?
    Okay, I've been sharing a premodified installer with folks for a while now. (Just PM'd you a link, bahardman.)

Of course I include instructions. So for those of you who would like a bit more detail, here's a copy of the "readme" that I include. I also include instructions for installing via SD card and bootloader, which is needed if your device won't boot properly.

------------------------------

The original unbranded installer from Palm is a single executable that would only run for Treo 750's that are unbranded. To make this generic installer, the files were extracted and one file was edited to allow brand compatibility (payloads.xml). No other files (including the ROM) were modified or changed in any way.

This particular distribution works with devices whose software version ends with "CNG". (I also updated the "high revision range" to "2.27" which should allow folks already on this latest version to re-install if needed.)

If you need to install on a different brand, or if you're not sure of your branding, navigate to START>SETTINGS>tab_SYSTEM>ABOUT>tab_PHONE and look at your software version. You can easily customize the installer to work with your device by editing “payloads.xml” with any text editor. (Notepad works fine.) Near the top you will see a tag labeled “carrier codes”. Change the text to match the letters after your software version and save.

The PC based install wizard must be run from a Microsoft machine running the latest Activesync. If you are a MAC user, you will need to use the bootloader/SD method.

NOTE: When updating by SD card/bootloader method, the software version shown in the about screen WILL NOT change. If this is an issue for you, find an XP machine and use the wizard. I have also heard of a method for rolling back to WM5 on the XDA developers site which requires that the software version reflected in the about screen still show the old WM5 version numbers to work. I don’t know why anyone would want to go back, but if you think you’re one of those people, use the SD method.

Oh yeah, since it was part of the original 2.27 distro, I also included the 750 Recovery Tool. I've never had to use it, but it's there if you need it. (Check in the directory appropriately named "750RecoveryTool".)

On to the Instructions!!!!

INSTALL WIZARD METHOD
    ---------------------
    Make sure the latest version of ActiveSync is loaded on your computer, and that the drivers are working properly by connecting your Treo and making sure it can sync.

With your Treo connected to your PC and a power source, double click on “index.hta” to start Palm’s upgrade wizard and follow the prompts.

BOOTLOADER METHOD via SD Card
    -----------------------------
    When updating by SD card, the software version in the about screen WILL NOT change. Normally, that is updated by the wizard as the final step after successful ROM load. Just be aware that your software version will not be accurately shown, even though your ROM WILL be updated to WM6.

To use this method, extract the file CHEEIMG_FW.nbh from the zip. RENAME this file to CHEEIMG.nbh. (I am aware that there is already a file by that name in the zip, but it’s not the actual ROM.)

Connect your SD card to your computer and format it with FAT32. It MUST be FAT32 or the upgrade will not succeed!

Copy only CHEEIMG.nbh to the memory card and slot it into the Treo. Connect your Treo to a power source. Boot up the Treo in bootloader mode by holding the PTT button ( the one on the side beneath the volume buttons) while pressing the reset button with your stylus. Bootloader will come up and load the ROM. Follow any on-screen prompts.

hi,
    after upgarding, the device still shows VFE after the ver num 2.23.
    is there a way to change it to RWE?

thank you very much,
    ran.

3. Run the EXE file
    5. Do a dir /ad /od

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo17 View Post
    hi,
    after upgarding, the device still shows VFE after the ver num 2.23.
    is there a way to change it to RWE?

thank you very much,
    ran.
    You must have done the update via the SD/bootloader method. While the ROM will be updated, what's displayed in the about screen does not change to match.

When you run the update via the wizard, as a final step after the ROM update it runs a separate update process to change what shows in the about screen.

(See my instructions above in the SD section.)

It has no effect as you DID get updated, it just still displays the old version. If you want that updated, you'll need to reapply the ROM update via the wizard.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    @fastlerner

Hi man,

have a TREO 750 with SW version TREO750-1.16-RWS and firmware version 1.27.0b.00 and wm 5.0. Dont know from wich country it is in fact. Supose it from Venezuela as itīs a second hand one and i cant meet the first owner in order to get this info. Also, its flash is non customized and has only spanish and english language available. So, thereīs an update to wm 6.0 available from Claro operator here in brasil to be applied in devices like Treo750-1.15-ROW... Do you think i can proceed to this update with my treo 750 and also portuguese language will be ok?
    What are the chances of bricking my phone?

I thank you in advance for n word from.

Greetings from Brasil.

Antonio
    Antonio,

I don't think you're in any danger of bricking your phone. Pretty much any 750 rom will run on any other 750 (with the exception of the 750V from Vodafone which is slightly different for some reason.)

The only issue you may possibly run into is that the ROM installers are usually set to only upgrade a device from the same carrier.

I know the ROW rom is an unbranded, but I'm not familiar with the RWS. Give it a shot. Worst case, the wizard will tell you the device isn't supported.

In that case, it's still very doable. You just have to modify one of the installer files. Look at Romeo's post just a few posts up in this thread for instructions. For the carrier code, use RWS.

If the wizard still won't go, then you'll have to do the update from an SD card.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    Antonio,

I don't think you're in any danger of bricking your phone. Pretty much any 750 rom will run on any other 750 (with the exception of the 750V from Vodafone which is slightly different for some reason.)

The only issue you may possibly run into is that the ROM installers are usually set to only upgrade a device from the same carrier.

I know the ROW rom is an unbranded, but I'm not familiar with the RWS. Give it a shot. Worst case, the wizard will tell you the device isn't supported.

In that case, it's still very doable. You just have to modify one of the installer files. Look at Romeo's post just a few posts up in this thread for instructions. For the carrier code, use RWS.

If the wizard still won't go, then you'll have to do the update from an SD card.
    Ok man,
    thank you a lot. Will try and let you know later if succeed or not.

Best Rgds,

Antonio
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Great man,

just updated to wm6 and with brazilian portuguese language but had first to change the payloads.xml file.
    I updated it in order to get rid of the "ghost" of sound problem... not hear nothing on calls. But it DID NOT fix the problem. The others sound and the mic sound works good. Just cant hear the caller... only on handsfree mode.
    Thank you n way for your kind attention.

B. r

Antonio
    Sounds like your ear speaker may have a loose connection. Sometimes the tabs that connect that speaker can become bent and lose contact, especially after it's been dropped.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Not really. Have disassembled it and check the contacts as well the current continuity. Thought it could be solved as it were done to treo 650 using the treotricks solution but it has quite different audio ways.
    Will keep truying and will let you know if succeed.

B. r

1. Download the official unbraded bits here: censored
    the EXE file that is in the zip file (give it a specific folder to extract to, the zip file uses a funky folder name).
    3. Run the EXE file
    5. Do a dir /ad /od

I tried your directions and they got me closer than anyone elses,but no cigar. Here is how I got it to work for me:

1. Download the official unbranded desktop installer above.
    3. Run the EXE file, but stop when the gui pops up.
    4. At the first screen, navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\temp, then inside the temp folder you will see a palm folder, and a folder with some random numbers and letters like PQa02356.
    5. Enter the installer temp directory
    8. right click payloads.xml file and select edit with notepad
    9.Replace the RWE carrier text with ATT if your phone was from ATT, then
    Replace the high 1.16 version with 2.27
    11.After you have made the necessary changes click on file-save as, then save it back into the same file as it was originally in, and save as (all files)
    if you save it as a text file it won't work.It must be saved as payloads.xml
    with the xml attributes.

It worked great for me. My treo was fairly new with winmo6 version 2.25 with ATT branding, and nobody seemed to have the exact directions that worked for my phone. If anybody needs help, feel free to pm me. Now I'm unbranded with 2.27
    The link for this software no longer works. Could someone provide this file for download? Maybe at megaupload?

TIA
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456