Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    I can't speak to your typing clicks. It's something I've never heard of before. As to your question about going forward with ATT when it's released... If you used the SD method to upgrade, then your software versions (tokens) will be unchanged and you'll have no trouble. If you upgraded by the .exe method, then you might run into a glitch. The way to tell is to check your versions. If it says 1.13cng (or att) then you'll be fine.
    Hi:
    I updated via the method mentioned in this thread (first post), so I assume that is the .exe method. My software version now says TREO 750-2.23-ATT, do you think this will be a problem? If I flash back to WM5 will that solve it? I was only able to find the Cingular WM5 on xda, I couldn't find the ATT version anywhere. Will the Cingular version be okay to flash back to, even though I originally had the ATT version?

Thanks so much to both of you who replied before!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    Hi:
    Thanks so much for your reply. I should have mentioned that all the programs I am having trouble with I already had installed on my phone, so yes they are compatible with square screens. I am just reinstalling them after upgrade.

I was able to find a cingular ROM at xda, but I couldn't seem to find the AT&T one. Any ideas?
    You won't find an AT&T WM5 rom because of the corp changeover, so the Cingular rom you have is what you'll need if you reflash back. Also, don't assume that just because the app is WM6 compatible that it also supports 240X240 square screens. Many do support it, but you should really check with the developer's site to be certain. If they don't specify support on their site, email them.

Now my biggest complaint is that for some reason when I use the hardware keyboard, the keysounds seem to be sticking. What I mean is that I will have entered 3 letters, and it will only click once for example. It is very annoying, because I usually guide myself with the sound to make sure the letter entered.

I have performed several soft resets, and it hasn't helped with any of the problems.
    Did you restore your apps from a backup or did you reinstall from scratch? If you did a restore, you might try SK Tools, but no guarantees it will solve the binding going on.
    Hi:
    I updated via the method mentioned in this thread (first post), so I assume that is the .exe method. My software version now says TREO 750-2.23-ATT, do you think this will be a problem? If I flash back to WM5 will that solve it? I was only able to find the Cingular WM5 on xda, I couldn't find the ATT version anywhere. Will the Cingular version be okay to flash back to, even though I originally had the ATT version?

Thanks so much to both of you who replied before!!
    Your 2.23 version may tell the updater that you have already been upgraded. It depends on the final ATT revision number. But fear not, there will be a workaround. If you're happy with the ROW version, don't bother with the ATT one until all the reviews are in. It won't offer any OS benefits (WM6 is WM6 everywhere). The radio firmware will be the deciding factor.
    Your 2.23 version may tell the updater that you have already been upgraded. It depends on the final ATT revision number. But fear not, there will be a workaround. If you're happy with the ROW version, don't bother with the ATT one until all the reviews are in. It won't offer any OS benefits (WM6 is WM6 everywhere). The radio firmware will be the deciding factor.
    Hi Insidr:
    Thanks so much for your post. It really does set my mind at ease. While I am not a total newbie at ppcs, I am no expert by any means. So, since installing the unbranded WM6, and finding that I am having some problems with it, I have been freaking out about whether I would be able to fix it.
    I really needed your words of wisdom, to calm me down
    Today is my birthday, so thanks for the gift
    Hi Insidr:
    Thanks so much for your post. It really does set my mind at ease. While I am not a total newbie at ppcs, I am no expert by any means. So, since installing the unbranded WM6, and finding that I am having some problems with it, I have been freaking out about whether I would be able to fix it.
    I really needed your words of wisdom, to calm me down
    Today is my birthday, so thanks for the gift
    Happy birthday. I have flashed/re-flashed/re-reflashed from WM5 to AU3 to ROW to WM5 and now to ROW. I haven't lost a phone yet. I'll help you through whatever changes you need to make.
    I chose to ignore the warning messages I was getting when I tried to unzip the file and proceeded with the upgrade.

All appeared to go well and I now am running WM6!

However, I have noticed two things that I am wondering if anyone else has noticed or has any idea what might be wrong.

1) After making a call and hanging up the phone still says "Call in Progress". It does not revert back to saying "Cingular".

2) The "Signal Strength" meter always shows the "radio tower" and three dots moving from left to right under it. It does not show the signal strength bars.

Any ideas?
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobn View Post
    I chose to ignore the warning messages I was getting when I tried to unzip the file and proceeded with the upgrade.

All appeared to go well and I now am running WM6!

However, I have noticed two things that I am wondering if anyone else has noticed or has any idea what might be wrong.

1) After making a call and hanging up the phone still says "Call in Progress". It does not revert back to saying "Cingular".

2) The "Signal Strength" meter always shows the "radio tower" and three dots moving from left to right under it. It does not show the signal strength bars.

Any ideas?
    Sonds like the same problem Cardiff had, he fixed it by reflashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliez View Post
    Sonds like the same problem Cardiff had, he fixed it by reflashing.
    Definitely that does sound very similar to the issue I had. Reflashed via SD (decided to go AT&T route though) and all is still well and haven't had any issues after a few days now.
    Hi,

I also just upgraded to WM6. Works fine; much faster HSPDA speeds. But we live in a pretty dense (hilly) part of the Bay Area coastal mountains and I've seen the broadband indicator at the top go through (what's appears to be all of) E, 3G and H. I assume E is Edge at 2.5 speeds (< 200 Kbps); 3G is UMTS at whatever that gives; and H (HSPDA) has come in anywhere between 400 and 800 Kbps. A definite improvement but subject to the limitations of the terrain where we live.

I though WM6 was supposed to have Unicode? Not as far as I can tell. Use IE, to go, say, to Wapedia. Look up an article that should have some Japanese characters in it (used to live in Japan and still speak and read Japanese).

And all I get are the usual disappointing little square boxes where extended Unicode glyphs should appear.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong (some way of simply turning Unicode on?). Or some way of adding it to WM6?

So far HandySwitcher (app switcher) and Styletap (Palm OS emulator) work fine.

thanx - pat
    Happy birthday. I have flashed/re-flashed/re-reflashed from WM5 to AU3 to ROW to WM5 and now to ROW. I haven't lost a phone yet. I'll help you through whatever changes you need to make.
    Hey Insidr:
    Thanks! You are SUPER! Will you please send me a PM when you get a chance?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

and thanks again
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am trying to run the upgrade, but I can't even get past the first step, I downloaded the .zip file, but when I try to unzip it, it says that windows has blocked the file, I went to properties and unblocked it, but still get the same message. I have Windows XP, SP2 and AVG virus protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper86 View Post
    I am trying to run the upgrade, but I can't even get past the first step, I downloaded the .zip file, but when I try to unzip it, it says that windows has blocked the file, I went to properties and unblocked it, but still get the same message. I have Windows XP, SP2 and AVG virus protection.
    I am no expert at all, and someone more knowledgeable may come along, but here's my 2 cents. AVG tends to give alot of false readings, and I had an experience very similar to yours when installing another program. Unfortunately the only fix I found was to completely uninstall AVG, after that I did not have any problems anymore. I now use Zone Alarm, and have never had that problem occur again.
    Or, alternately, if you know how to completely disable all AVG processes, that may work too.
    Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I figured it out, I was using the pre-installed extractor instead of winzip, when I used winzip, I received the same message as others of it being a questionable file. I extracted anyway, ran virus scans, then extracted the last file (in tinman folder) and used the sd card method. Working great. I am now busy reinstalling my programs. Epocrates etc. Now am going to download the HTC hack and have fun with this. I cannot believe I waited so long. I was scared to try, because I have absolutely no experience with flashing a phone, but am pretty computer savy. Now I am going to go play.
  14.    #74  
    I extracted just the exe file to a specific folder instead of the funky folder the zip file is done with.
    I had gotten so sick of my Treo 750 and how slow it was, I was actually thinking of going back to the Treo 650.

This update worked really well - once I realized that you need to update that XML file between the beginning of the installation (when the files are extracted) and the part where you click NEXT and the install starts.

Thanks!
    I'm having some trouble getting this update to work. Everything works fine until the second part of the update when it's performing "executing update" after copying files. It then restarts my phone and seems to be performing a hard reset. Then my device resets and says "loading". After that the screen fades out and all I get is a black screen for 15 minutes.

So after about 20 minutes I assume that there is something wrong? I pulled the sync and do a soft reset.

Everything seems fine but my palm is still at CNG-1.13.

Help, whats wrong?
    Can't believe I'm the first one to post about this in this thread

I'm having the Cingular/ATT PIE proxy issue after upgrading to WM6. Two things:

1) No sign of the "Proxy Manager" program that everyone's been crowing about after installing the leaked ATT rom. Did I screw something up, or is this not included in the unbranded ROW rom? (that's my guess) Would someone who has it from the leaked rom kindly post the exe?

2) Tried the direct registry editing method that worked in WM5 -- no dice. In fact, there wasn't even an entry in the Internet Settings branch for EnableAutoDetect. So I created one, set it to 1 as per the instructions... still no dice.

At the moment, I can use PIE with the wap.cingular APN, and the isp.cingular APN works fine with other apps on the phone, but not PIE. Hangs during "locating..." (DNS lookup of the target host... that's the proxy problem!)

Any help, gang? Can someone else with a Cingular branded phone that installed the unbranded ROW release confirm that you too do not have the Proxy Manager app, and do have the proxy problem with the isp.cingular APN?

Thanks!
  18.    #78  
    Yes, I don't have the Proxy Manager. I don't use isp.cingular APN. To use that APN, you have to disable PIE's proxy (hence you're wanting to have the Proxy Manager app). There is a registry setting floating around to do that (don't have it handy).
    Last edited by charliez; 11/30/2007 at 01:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    The proxy mgr extracted... Courtesy 'holmes4'

Here....
    I have an AT&T 750 and finally I took the plunge and upgraded to WM6 using the RWE and the bootloader method. I tried using the method mentioned in this thread, but kept getting a script run error after changing the payloads file. The the updater would say that it was copying files and would do nothing else. When I did the bootloader, everything worked great. WM6 is great. Only have two questions.....

1) Is it really a big issue that my versions are still the same in the About screen? Does it hinder functionality are the ability to upgrade down the road?

2) The system sounds (clicks when you open the start menu, etc.) don't work. I read this somewhere in one of the threads, but can't find it again (and no, couldn't find the post even using the search).

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast