Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Driazen:

Nice to be back. This is one of those one-in-a-million bugs. In order for the emergency call to fail, it's like you have to have a locked SIM, facing east on the fourth Tuesday of the month with a full moon. They would have been better off not finding it and issuing a patch later. But since they found it they've gotta fix it and test it and re-submit it to Palm.

Mike1in3:

Never, never ever believe anything a support person tells you about releases. They are the last to know, and will often make up stuff to make you think you got a good answer and will go away.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliez View Post
    I got really tired of waiting and figured out a simple way to use the unbranded installer to update my Cingular branded Treo 750.

Note that this what I discovered based on info on this site, and is for informational purposes only. It may not work with yours, or it may cause problems with your device.

I used the unbranded update installer, with a few simple tweaks.
    1. Download the official unbraded bits here: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...topUpdater.zip
    2. Expand the zip file (it's an EXE file).
    3. Run the EXE file
    4. At the first screen, open up a CMD console, for Vista navigate to c:\users\your username\appdata\local\temp, for XP the temp directory can be found by typing SET in the CMD console.
    5. Do a dir /ad /od
    6. You'll see the temp directory of the installer as the last directory
    7. Enter the installer temp directory
    8. Edit payloads.xml file with notepad
    9.Replace the RWE carrier text with CNG
    10. Replace the low 1.16 version with 1.13
    11. Replace the high 1.16 version with 2.24
    12. Go back to the installer screen and continue with installation
    13. You must complete the installation successfully, if it fails, rerun the whole process. If it isn't successful, the flash ROM isn't "closed" and you won't see the new version numbers updated, and what not else as well.

Ta daaaaa and it runs HSDPA !!!

I'm loving WM6. I can't convey how much better activesync is working. Thank you very much for figuring out the install hack!
    I got really tired of waiting and figured out a simple way to use the unbranded installer to update my Cingular branded Treo 750.

Note that this what I discovered based on info on this site, and is for informational purposes only. It may not work with yours, or it may cause problems with your device.

I used the unbranded update installer, with a few simple tweaks.
    1. Download the official unbraded bits here: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...topUpdater.zip
    2. Expand the zip file (it's an EXE file).
    3. Run the EXE file
    4. At the first screen, open up a CMD console, for Vista navigate to c:\users\your username\appdata\local\temp, for XP the temp directory can be found by typing SET in the CMD console.
    5. Do a dir /ad /od
    8. Edit payloads.xml file with notepad
    9.Replace the RWE carrier text with CNG
    10. Replace the low 1.16 version with 1.13
    11. Replace the high 1.16 version with 2.24
    12. Go back to the installer screen and continue with installation
    13. You must complete the installation successfully, if it fails, rerun the whole process. If it isn't successful, the flash ROM isn't "closed" and you won't see the new version numbers updated, and what not else as well.

Ta daaaaa and it runs HSDPA !!!
    Is this the most recent version of the WM6 leak? I want to be sure I have the most stable version on my phone and this seems to be the most recent.

Also, will installing this version on my phone affect it in anyway once the official WM6 is released ?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    All,

for those of you that have done this successfully(I have a CNG branded TREO 750) have you been doing email with a corp Exchange Server - and does it still work after the upgrade?

If you got it working, was it a bunch of support from Corp IT, or something you could handle yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650 View Post
    All,

for those of you that have done this successfully(I have a CNG branded TREO 750) have you been doing email with a corp Exchange Server - and does it still work after the upgrade?

If you got it working, was it a bunch of support from Corp IT, or something you could handle yourself?
    Yes...works perfectly. I did not have to speak to IT. I go through the owa site.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1in3 View Post
    For those AT&T folks who have installed the unbranded WM6 OS on the Treo 750, are you able to connect to the Internet over your laptop? That one thing would definitely tip the scales for me to install the unbranded OS.
    I have not gotten this to work via bluetooth yet, but i will keep trying.
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Hmm, the installer says the USB connection failed. I edited the payloads.xml file as it says in this thread and activesync sees the phone fine (and the installer prompted me to plug it into the wall charger so I imagine it does) so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Running Windows 2000 SP 4. Any ideas?
    I have Vista and have been able to access the internet via bluetooth using internet sharing on WM6. Here is the website that i used as a guide.

http://modernnomads.info/wiki/index....ough+bluetooth
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
    (and the installer prompted me to plug it into the wall charger so I imagine it does)
    The phone has to plugged up to the wall charger.
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Quote Originally Posted by optimo View Post
    The phone has to plugged up to the wall charger.
    sorry I wasn't clear, when it prompted me to plug it into a wall charger, I plugged it in and hit continue. I then tried exiting, reediting the .xml file and still no joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
    sorry I wasn't clear, when it prompted me to plug it into a wall charger, I plugged it in and hit continue. I then tried exiting, reediting the .xml file and still no joy.
    It took me about 3 times to get this to work. I restarted the comp once.
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I can not get this to work. I got the ZIP file extracted to an EXE, but when I run it no wizard pops up. I get a TurboSFX extracter that starts at 4% and goes to 100% before I can do anything to pause it. There appears to be no way to stop it either.

I am running Windows XP Prof SP2 and I have a Cingular 750.
    Worked great the first time, however I was funking around with the registry with Pocket Mechanic and hosed up a few entries.

So I decide to reload but the install says I already have the current version (2.23).

So I "downgrade" back to the leaked version and try again, but get the same error - the version still shows 2.23 so it didn't get "updated" back to 1.13. So it appears I am stuck with the leaked unless there is a way to manually change the s/w version back down from 2.23?
    Quote Originally Posted by 78staff View Post
    Worked great the first time, however I was funking around with the registry with Pocket Mechanic and hosed up a few entries.

So I decide to reload but the install says I already have the current version (2.23).

So I "downgrade" back to the leaked version and try again, but get the same error - the version still shows 2.23 so it didn't get "updated" back to 1.13. So it appears I am stuck with the leaked unless there is a way to manually change the s/w version back down from 2.23?
    Ehhh I think I got it, I just loaded the ROW 2.23 nbh file the "old" way off an SD card, and all looks good again.
    Question for those who have upgraded - are any using Goodlink? And if so,are there any ill effects?
    5. Do a dir /ad /od
    I'm having trouble with these steps. Once the initial screen of the installer opens up, I open up a Command window and type in SET. It shows my TEMP directory but I am not able to open it up for some reason. Can anyone break down these steps a little more for some of us less computer savvy people

Thanks
    if using XP, most likely your temp dir will be...

"c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\Temp"

start the install

cd to "c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\Temp" <= quotes required because of spaces in filenames/lfns

then do... dir /ad /og

The last or next to last Directory listed will be something random, ie 72seXdw

cd to that dir

edit payload file

then continue upgrade.
    Last edited by 78staff; 11/15/2007 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 78staff View Post
    if using XP, most likely your temp dir will be...

"c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\Temp"

start the install

cd to "c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\Temp" <= quotes required because of spaces in filenames/lfns

then do... dir /ad /og

The last or next to last Directory listed will be something random, ie 72seXdw

cd to that dir

edit payload file

then continue upgrade.
    do you have to edit the file from the command prompt or can you navigate to it from explorer and edit in notepad? I was trying that last night when I couldn't get it to work so maybe that was my problem.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have Vista and have been able to access the internet via bluetooth using internet sharing on WM6. Here is the website that i used as a guide.

http://modernnomads.info/wiki/index....ough+bluetooth
    What a relief it is, to have WM6. I don't have to wonder when Palm is going to release WM6. I don't have the agro of missed rumored delivery dates, etc., etc. - I can relax.

I have no more of my 'little' sync problems. WM6 runs faster and is more responsive.

Plus, I can now charge via the USB cable. If I had this feature before, I could have saved myself from buying an aftermarket charging USB cable. What does that mean? Well, if you want to use this phone as a modem for your notebook, you can, all day long, and it will not run down the battery. So basically, I have two charging USB cables now.

If you don't have WM6 after today (friday, the latest rumored delivery date for WM6), just follow these instructions, and enjoy a better Windows Mobile life. Life's too short to worry about this stuff.
    ah ha i think i figured it out. I'm running activesync 4.2 and it says you need 4.5 installing now we'll see if i can get it to work.
    Edit-Cool it's doing it now, hopefully all goes well. Keeping my fingers crossed
    Last edited by Cardiff Giant; 11/16/2007 at 03:36 PM.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast