1.    #1  
    I am a registered user of Pocket Mechanic... First and foremost, I like its ability to defragment my storage card. However, I have tried to use its registry cleaner feature, but I am suspecting that it is too aggressive and is screwing up my Treo 750. I tried it once before, but I ended up hard resetting the device, and reinstalling all the software--I was getting bizzare behavior happening before the reset. I got courageous and tried the registry cleaner again... it looks like I will be doing another reset and reinstall. (Hoping that the official wm6 arrives soon...)

All in all, this program does not appear to be as user friendly and helpful as I had originally hoped. The program has a lot of "fluff" in it, and the real tools in it seem to require more technical knowledge of windows mobile and how the device works than I currently have. It is also very slow to load if you install it on the storage card. (A known issue according to the Pocket Mechanic website.)

I have visited the "official" Pocket Mechanic website... but frankly there is just not much there. A lot of it is under construction.

I am interested in hearing from anyone else who has used Pocket Mechanic... Like it? Hate it? What features do you actually use in it? Have you had any problems with it? Have you used the registry cleaner without issues?

Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback.

PM
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I had same problems before. Now I dare not touch Registry Cleanup as it had deleted something that I don't fully understanding in WM5/6 and ended up costing me a couple of hard reset.

At this point, I only use it to defragment the ext storage which is ok. Some limited use of file system clean up and notification clean up.

It is a great piece of software but for a non-technical user like me, it is not easy to maximize on all the features it provides.

[/U]
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking that all the great reviews I have seen for Pocket Mechanic did not match my experience... thought maybe I was missing something. Since running its Registry Cleaner feature, my Activesync no longer functions--I am sure that the problem is on the Treo side of things.

So I assume that you have installed Pocket Mechanic in internal memory to keep the load time fast. It is interesting that you use the file system cleanup and notification cleanup. I tried using the notification cleanup previous, but got bizarre behavior "post-cleanup". What types of settings do you use when you run these?

PM
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    PocketMechanic is a very good piece of software, but it can dig deep into your PPC and you can mess things up if you're not sure what you're doing.

SKTools is similar, albeit more user friendly and a little more comprehensive.

My favorite for newer users would be MemMaid from Dinarsoft.com. It's powerful, but designed to be simple. And, you don't need to "activate" the advanced features which will likely keep you from deleting something you don't want to delete.

Also, I'd say SKTools is the best for one-handed usage and is great for the smaller square screen. Both PM and MemMaid often require the use of the stylus to access all functions.

I own all three, and like all three a lot, but they each have their own strenghs and weaknesses.

Just my 2cents.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  5.    #5  
    xdalaw, thanks for the feedback. Had not heard of SKTools... will check them out.

PM
  6.    #6  
    Hey, I just looked at the SKTools website... this really looks quite good.

Thanks again.

PM
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    You're welcome, PM. SKTools is great, and up until now, updates have always been free. I know they're working on a new version, but not sure if it'll be a free update.
    Definitely won't go wrong with this one, just be careful. SKTools can "dig deep" and you should always have a good and recent backup before you go playing with it too much. (It even has it's own backup module included, although I'm partial to Spb Backup, myself.)
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  8.    #8  
    Sprite Backup runs automatically for me every night on a schedule, so I am covered.

PM
  9.    #9  
    It is interesting that the SKTools docs suggest that defragmenting your storage card can shorten its life. Do you believe that, or do you think it is just marketing "FUD" (fear, uncertainty, & doubt) since they don't seem to have a defragmenter in their package and Pocket Mechanic does?

PM

PS--I am actually a very technical guy (chemical engineer & PC power user)... I am just very stingy with my time when it comes to learning about something like this that I think should just work. (also, I want to have a life )
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    You know, I'm not sure about the defragmentation issue you raise. I'd never heard that before, although I had heard a lot of stories of problems defragging on the PPC itself. (Instead, I use my PC and a card reader.)

I hope it doesn't shorten the length of my cards, though, since I try to defrag them every few months or so when I do a hard reset and reinstallation of my apps.

As a caveat, you should know that I am not a particularly technical person. I'm actually a criminal defense lawyer who has been playing with PDAs for about a decade or so, and who had learned through a lot of trial and error. (Mainly error.)