1.    #1  
    Greetings from Vancouver,
    I've purchased an unlocked American Treo 750 that was running on the Cingular network. The front cover has Cingular's icon, and there is a lot of Cingular-related stuff throughout the phone. I haven't put any of my own data on it yet because I'm hopefull that there is some way to wipe it clean and install a "pure" operating system, free of Cingular's invasive proprietary software.

Is there a way to do this?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Take care,
    Steve
    Nope. not yet at least.

Youcan search the web, find the Australian ROM and download that (the cleanest of them all), and you'll get WM6 to boot. I believe its Australian anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Nope. not yet at least.

Youcan search the web, find the Australian ROM and download that (the cleanest of them all), and you'll get WM6 to boot. I believe its Australian anyway.
    Or, instead of the Australian ROM, use the ROW ROm. Search the forum and you might find a place to download and instructions.
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You may find that there is actually very little Cingular software on the phone. Most of what seems to be there is just a link to a web page from where you can download software.
  5.    #5  
    So I found this updater link on the Palm homepage:

https://ws.palm.com/SupportDownload/...nal/Home&sp=20

I downloaded the .zip file (Treo750_2_23_ROW_EN_DesktopUpdater.zip) and I'm wondering if this file will "de-brand" the phone. Will it co-exist with the Cingular software, or would it wipe out the Cingular software?

If there really isn't a lot of Cingular software on the phone, is there a manual way to edit/delete some files pull off the little bits of software?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Typically, the official updaters check your current "branding" and won't install if it's different.

There are people who come up with custom edited firmware - I don't know the details.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeravgjoe View Post
    So I found this updater link on the Palm homepage:

https://ws.palm.com/SupportDownload/...nal/Home&sp=20

I downloaded the .zip file (Treo750_2_23_ROW_EN_DesktopUpdater.zip) and I'm wondering if this file will "de-brand" the phone. Will it co-exist with the Cingular software, or would it wipe out the Cingular software?

If there really isn't a lot of Cingular software on the phone, is there a manual way to edit/delete some files pull off the little bits of software?
    Check this for instructions and information about losing CNG/ATT software
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=156093
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
    Just navigate to My Deice/ Windows/ Start Menu/ Programs...

...and delete the ones you do not want to see anymore, They are just shortcuts so it will not harm your device. But be sure, if you look for them later they will not be there anymore.