1.    #1  
    You need a WM device with Wifi (Im using Treo 750 WM6 with SpecTec Wifi)

1) Setup the Windows phone as follows:

a) Go to Wireless Manager
    b) Goto MENU | Wifi Settings. Select the network adaptors tab, choose WORK, and select your Wifi card (should be obviously named)
    c) Manualy set an IP address, lets use 192.168.2.2 Then click in netmask and let it auto-fill with 255.255.255.0
    d) Go back to the Wireless tab, and select NEW network (make sure the option to show both fixed and adhoc networks is selected).
    e) Name the network whatever you want. I called it 'iPod'. Then tick 'This is a device-to-device (adhoc)' option. Hit 'Next'
    f) Turn off data encryption. You CAN use it, but it makes things more complex, and only 1 device can connect to this network anyway so nobody else will be able to use it.
    g) Hit next and finish. You should see the network name appear with 'Connecting'. It will sit there untill you finish the client side before it says connected.

2) Configure the Internet connection sharing.

a) Run Internet sharing on your device, select 'Bluetooh PAN' and check the box below shows your GPRS data connection.
    b) Open on (WM Device) Registry Editor and go to 'HKLM\Comm\ConnectionSharing\PrivateInterface=BTPAN1'
    c) Change 'PrivateInterface=BTPAN1' to 'TIACXWLN1', Ok and save this. Exit the registry editor.

3) Configure the WiFi settings on your iPod/iPhone.

a) From the home page tap 'Settings' then 'Wifi' then 'Turn on WiFi'.
    b) Select your new 'iPod' network from the list. Wait a few seconds. It should connect. I had to specify Static IP address as:
    IP Address: 192.168.2.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.2.2
    DNS: Put in your DNS (66.209.10.201 for Cingular/AT&T Wireless)

c) Press the 'Home' button and open Safari. Go to a webpage. It should connect with no trouble. I occasionally got the message, 'Cannot connect to iPod'. Turning it off and on (rebooting) should fix this. If not, reboot the Windows phone also and start from scratch.
  2.    #2  
    BTW: This allows you to take your Treo and iPod Touch or ANY Wifi device (That doesnt have Bluetooth DUN) on the road. If you want to use your iPod touch on wifi, you are using your Treo to create a Wifi network (ad-Hoc network) to connect to. Works great for me, since I love the iPod touch Safari Browser and Mail (Install mail using Jailbreak Hack along with tons of other 3rd party iPhone apps).
    Wow!!!

Awesome, awesome job Interstink. I may have to try this w/my iphone.

You should spread the word on the iphone/touch forums as well...
  4.    #4  
    It seems to work a lot better then Bluetooth DUN on my laptop as well. Was able to stay connected for over 3 hours without issues.

I use it on my ipod touch most of the time. Works like a charm.
    BTW, you can actually have a number of devices connected to the network, so if you have no security the other people in the coffee shop can surf for free using your data connection too.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    BTW, you can actually have a number of devices connected to the network, so if you have no security the other people in the coffee shop can surf for free using your data connection too.

Surur
    "Luckly" this wifi hs very short range. But always...

Is there any firewll software for WM?
    Quote Originally Posted by miloszz View Post
    "Luckly" this wifi hs very short range. But always...

Is there any firewll software for WM?
    No need for a firewall as there are no services running to exploit, but you can secure your connection against leechers by simply using the usual WIFI encryption.

Surur
  8.    #8  
    It's finally a good use for the Wifi card. I never use this card since I have good 3G service, but being able to share Data plan with other devices that lack Bluetooth DUN is nice... as well as giving your laptop better speed then Bluetooth DUN.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    wow, this is great!! probably a dumb question, but does anyone know sprints dns? i got everything setup and the ipod sees my phone(ppc6700), but safari doesnt work. the only setting i didnt have was the dns to enter on the static ip page on the ipod. i searched but couldnt find this out. any help? sorry to post here considering i dont have a treo, but ya know......
    does this break the BT PAN?
    Only temporarily. Everything goes back to normal after you disconnect.

Surur