Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Any thought on this?

PalmŪ GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 3
    http://store.palm.com/product/index....entPage=family

Should I wait for Garmin XT?
    Ericsson 688 : Phillips Genie Sport : Siemens S35i : Handspring Visor : Nokia 8310 : Nokia 6610 : Nokia N70 : [Vodaphone Treo 750v WM6 + 2GB Transcend miniSD]
    I have this GPS. It's more than perfect!!! Much faster than Garmin and "fits" very well the Treo. Do not forget that you're getting the car charger that will charge your phone and the bluetooth receiver.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Would that be a comparison with Garmin products in general or the new Garmin XT that will be launched soon?

Palm store says it's selling for $188 after $61 rebate. Any idea if you can get one cheaper or maybe during Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale?
    Ericsson 688 : Phillips Genie Sport : Siemens S35i : Handspring Visor : Nokia 8310 : Nokia 6610 : Nokia N70 : [Vodaphone Treo 750v WM6 + 2GB Transcend miniSD]
    realistically, is the 750's screen large enough or the speaker loud enough to be effective? I've always wanted to get one of these, but have been afraid of the usefulness of it because of those two things.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingheel View Post
    realistically, is the 750's screen large enough or the speaker loud enough to be effective? I've always wanted to get one of these, but have been afraid of the usefulness of it because of those two things.
    I use my 750 with the local version of iGO and a Freedom Mini GPS. Although I wear multifocal glasses I have no trouble at all with the small screen, and although the speaker is squashed into the cradle I use, the software has adjustable volume independent of the Treo's internal settings.

During calls - which I take over a bluetooth connection - you can still see the route turns on the screen and iGO has an option to to mute on calls or keep blabbing on. I believe Copilot and TomTom have similar functionality.

My Navman is going on eBay as it's just another gadget I no longer need.

Just my ten cents worth.
    Palm Vx> Treo 270> Treo 650> Treo 750>Treo Pro
    Just got a Palm email with specials. The PalmŪ GPS Navigator
    Smartphone Edition 3 is now $149 with rebates.

Ben
    Damn! I just bought it last week for $188

It's fabulous. I can't think of any complaint at all. I'm a GPS maniac (I've got nearly a dozen different GPS devices for different applications), and this unit is the most sensitive and convenient yet.

I can drop this thing in my pocket, and I get a good fix usually with at least 5 sats indoors and outdoors (usually more outdoors). I can track myself walking around inside the house.

I've had a similar experience with most 1-2 story buildings too. It's remarkable.

With 20 channels, this little bomb can watch the whole sky most of the time.

TomTom software is fine -- nothing to jump up and down about, but as good as the leaders. One really awesome feature is integration with their traffic server -- automatically keeps traffic info/hazards upd to date over the data connection, and reroutes to avoid delays as needed. This worked really well in our first real test run from Santa Cruz to Sacramento on Thanksgiving day, cutting about 30 minutes off the drive by routing us on local roads and small highways around the trouble spots on the interstate.

Man I love converged devices!

Also, the windshield mount for the TREO is really nice. I thought at first it would bug me and be really ugly, but I've found that it's quite nice to have the phone at eye level and securely, firmly held in place -- can poke buttons reasonably well while driving, and a lot more safely as eyes are still (mostly) on the road.

Overall, I'd give this Palm accessory a 5/5. I wouldn't give anything else that high a score. I'm very happy with it.