1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 700wx on VERIZON.
    I was told you can use the phone as a modem to dial up to a ISP, but when I set it up, it does not work. I called VERIZON and they told me that the phone can dial up to ISP's but PALM locked this option and you need a 3rd party program to enable this. He would not tell me the name of the program, but he did say there is a couple of them.

I'm not looking to hook my computer to the phone, I just want to be able to get my mail, weather, sports updates when I'm on the road ... Or is there a way to get WAP to work on this phone????
    Can anyone help???
    thanks
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    First you need a to make sure you have the unlimited data. Second, the 700wx can connect to the internet right out of the box. You don't need any 3rd party software. Just click on start then Internet explorer.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  3.    #3  
    I'm talking about regular old fashion dial up, not the broadband that verizon provides. I can't see paying 50.00 a month just to get my email. The phone has a setup screen for setting up regular old fashion dial up, but when you set it up, the phone dials but will not connect. This is due to Verizon or Palm blocking this feature. Now from what I've read this can be set to work, but I can't find the way to do it.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Hate to burst your bubble but the only dial up that you are going to get is the Broadband EVDO data.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    So, there's no way to use a 700wx as a standard old fashioned modem to dial into your own ISP? Sad.
  6.    #6  
    There has to be a way . The guy at Verizon said it does work and only uses minuets, no data and you just have to find a way around the BLOCK.... I have read on other sites, that people have got it to work, and it's slow as hell but good enough to check email and stuff, I just can't find the way , but i'm looking and hopfuly I will find it
    Last edited by jpavao1; 11/10/2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: add on
    Quote Originally Posted by jpavao1 View Post
    but i'm looking and hopfuly I will find it
    You won't.

-Frank
  8.    #8  
    You won't.
    HMMMMMM

Do you know anything about the 650 or the 700p, if one of these work with dialup.
    HMMMMMM

Do you know anything about the 650 or the 700p, if one of these work with dialup.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $at$ $least$ $with$ $the$ $current$ $VZW$ $plans$, $there$ $is$ $no$ $way$ $to$ $use$ $any$ $PDA$/$Smartphone$ $for$ $DUN$ $where$ $it$ $uses$ $minutes$ $of$ $use$ $only$ ($MOU$). $Every$ $wireless$ $DUN$ $session$ $is$ &$quot$;$data$&$quot$; $and$ $is$ $billed$ $as$ $data$. $Depending$ $on$ $your$ $data$ $plan$ ($or$ $lack$ $thereoff$ - $or$ $data$ $block$).

Having said that (applies mostly to tethering your Treo to a laptop) I know what you are really asking is to use your Treo to connect to your ISP directly, wirelessly, without using any computer or laptop and being charged only voice minutes. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $can$'$t$ $be$ $done$ $and$ $never$ $could$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $where$ $the$ &$quot$;$rep$&$quot$; $you$ $talked$ $to$ $got$ $his$ $information$. $I$ $think$ $he$ $is$ $confusing$ $your$ $question$ $with$ $the$ $more$ $typical$ &$quot$;$tethering$&$quot$; $questions$.

-Frank
    I used to see MOU use a lot from VZW folks before Verizon went EVDO, so that might have something to do with it.
    I remember that all my Sprint phones (Samsung SCH2000, SCH8500, A400, i300) before Vision came about could be used as fax modems, meaning that they could be used to dial out like a modem (at baud rates of 9.2kbps to 13.3k I seem to remember) to any number. Some folks (not a lot) were pissed off when this feature disappeared from the first Vision phones (remember Samsung A500, N400 and so on). This was because voice and data now travelled seperately, hence no more using of voice minutes for web use.

I think what the O.P is thinking of doing is no longer possible and the so called rep didn't explain it properly. I don't think Verizon does Quick2Net anymore.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    So, is there a way to use the Treo, tethered to a laptop, but instead of dialing #777 and connecting to EVDO, you dial your own ISP number and connect to their dial up network, and it shows up as a normal voice call? That would be very handy if it could be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    So, is there a way to use the Treo, tethered to a laptop, but instead of dialing #777 and connecting to EVDO, you dial your own ISP number and connect to their dial up network, and it shows up as a normal voice call? That would be very handy if it could be done.
    Short answer, No.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Sad.
  14.    #14  
    OK with all that said, a couple other questions, first what is AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $and$ $MOU$??? $and$ $is$ $there$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $get$ $WAP$ $to$ $work$ $on$ $700wx$??? $I$ $have$ $RAZR$ $and$ $at$ $least$ $I$ $can$ $get$ $my$ $email$ $with$ $that$ $WAP$ $browser$.
    OK with all that said, a couple other questions, first what is AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $and$ $MOU$??? $and$ $is$ $there$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $get$ $WAP$ $to$ $work$ $on$ $700wx$??? $I$ $have$ $RAZR$ $and$ $at$ $least$ $I$ $can$ $get$ $my$ $email$ $with$ $that$ $WAP$ $browser$.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK=$As$ $Far$ $As$ $I$ $Know$. $MOU$=$Minutes$ $Of$ $Use$. $PDA$/$Smartphones$ $cannot$ $use$ $the$ $WAP$ $browser$ $b$/$c$ ($because$ - ) it is based on "brew" and PDA/Smarthones don't support brew. So, no.

JFTR (=Just For The Record) you are about the 100 gazillionth person to want to do this. VZW just says show me the money!

-Frank
    What if we find a way to disable the EVDO and use the 1X, wouldn't that work?
  17.    #17  
    What if we find a way to disable the EVDO and use the 1X, wouldn't that work?
    Disabling EVDO dosn't work, all that does is slow the phone down and you will still get billed for all data you use. I found that out the hard way.
    Disabling EVDO dosn't work, all that does is slow the phone down and you will still get billed for all data you use. I found that out the hard way.
    lol, thanks... I just bought the Spectec wifi card off ebay... $29 INCLUDING shipping sounds reasonable enough for faster than EVDO speeds.. plus u pay once, not every month $50... i'll let u know how it works once i get it.. (if anyone cares that is..)