Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    http://blog.palm.com/

"Our commercial launch of the WinMo 6 update for those already using the AT&T Treo 750 is just around the corner."
    here we go again...
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaduba View Post
    here we go again...
    Don't hold your breath, although as a scubaduba you can probably hold your longer than any of us ;-)
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
    Quote Originally Posted by hindle View Post

"Our commercial launch of the WinMo 6 update for those already using the AT&T Treo 750 is just around the corner."
    yaaaawwwwwnnnnn
  5.    #85  

Not today (yet - 08:45 A.m. EST)
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?

They probably are right but fail to mention the size of the corner that you have to go around....

I'm going to take a guess that it will be Friday, there will be technical difficulties after the first four hours of availability that won't be resolved until the following Monday due to the holidays.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    This is what I would consider an official statement. There is no release date but at least we are close. I have never heard Palm/Cingular say anything prior to that, that would give me the impression that WM 6 would be released and the release date was missed. I'm looking forward to it. There are no fixes that I am anticipating that will improve my already very positive experience but some of the MS Exchange and calendar enhancements are definitely welcomed.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I'm going to take a guess that it will be Friday, there will be technical difficulties after the first four hours of availability that won't be resolved until the following Monday due to the holidays.
    You really think that people at Palm will be working on Friday? It will be at least Monday now unless something happens today. They will not put it out tmorrow, as then everyone will download in their spare time, and when things go wrong, no support. Also, if the download is available Monday, not everyone will downlaod at once, due to downloading restrictions at work, so that the load will be spread out. Where as on Friday, everbody will get online and swamp their servers (and support desk )
    Just my 2 bits
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    You really think that people at Palm will be working on Friday? It will be at least Monday now unless something happens today. They will not put it out tmorrow, as then everyone will download in their spare time, and when things go wrong, no support. Also, if the download is available Monday, not everyone will downlaod at once, due to downloading restrictions at work, so that the load will be spread out. Where as on Friday, everbody will get online and swamp their servers (and support desk )
    Just my 2 bits
    I didn't say it made sense. Not much has made sense about the WM6 release.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    This is what I would consider an official statement. There is no release date but at least we are close. I have never heard Palm/Cingular say anything prior to that, that would give me the impression that WM 6 would be released and the release date was missed. I'm looking forward to it. There are no fixes that I am anticipating that will improve my already very positive experience but some of the MS Exchange and calendar enhancements are definitely welcomed.
    mmereos,

While I agree with you that this is clearly an official statement, does it really say anything different than what they said about a year ago when they said an upgrade to HSDPA would be available next year? Palm chose to incoporate that upgrade into their WM6 release. So even though they never promised the WM6 upgrade early on, by choosing to address the promise to update to HSDPA in the WM6 upgrade they in fact did.

Yes, technically if they get the HSDPA upgrade out by the end of the year they will have legally lived up to their promise but I think one could reasonably argue that a statement that a something will be coming next year implies sooner than within 45 days of the end of next year.

Additionally, Palm clearly owed us a fix for the sd card issue that plagued many. I didn't have that issue but many did and I am not going to discount their claims by saying it didn't happen to me. They also had a very lacking bluetooth stack that they chose to modify away from a standard WM5 stack which severly limited the fuctionality of bluetooth. Is it really reasonable to assume that a high end device made by a manufacturer will not work with most industry standard car kits--by the way this is also addressed in the WM6 release.

I agree it has been a good device but IMO they dropped the ball big time on this WM6/HSDPA upgrade. Again, not trying to be critical of your post but I really thing you are giving Palm/AT&T a very big benefit of the doubt here. I can't argue with your opinion but I would bet that most would agree they should have done something far sooner--if there was a safety issue you can bet they would have.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I know this sounds goofy but they should send us all the white polymer hinges for the SD door. I think mine is going to break soon from constant bending.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I didn't say it made sense. Not much has made sense about the WM6 release.
    Roger that
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Hey dude...I knew you'd be back. You know, "once you go Treo..." lol...

I think you're right about the current Treo continuing at 240x240. How are you doing with the Tilt? Do you really like it as much as you're alleging? j/k
    LOL.
    I know this isn't the thread to continue this discussion, but I did want to respond to this.

I have gone Tilt and I haven't looked back. I love the Treo 750. It's really pretty perfect for form factor and software customizations. That can't be understated enough. I could always live with it being a little thinner, but I'm not complaining.

The tilt has taken some adjusting, but I'm really finding it's version of WM6 just fine once I've tweaked the reg. a little.
    I find I use the wifi far too much at home and the office (since EDGE/3G reception is poor at my house and get terrible data rates) that I find I don't want to live without it. Also the larger memory of the Tilt makes memory a non-issue where I had to 'manage' it on the Treo.
    I'm not much of a camera phone user, but the Treo 750's camera is totally worthless. Sice I've had the Tilt's rather good camera, I find I'm using it more.

The GPS is merely gravy. It's extremely handy but I could live without.
    Then there's the screen. Using 320x240 in landscape has become invaluable to me, I simply don't want to go back to 240x240. All of these things together and I really love the Tilt. I just wish it was in a Treo body with Treo customizations.
    I miss the Treo chat app. It's on my list to get it on my Tilt.

Which brings me back to the Treo 320x320 subject.

Even if they just put a 320x240 landscape screen on the Treo 750 it would be better. I know there's the whole landscape vs. portrait argument, but here's why 320x240 landscape is good.
    240 is just too narrow for displaying emails and web pages. The formatting gets trashed. Once you go to 320x240 landscape it's just wide enough to make it work and make images re-size to be more legible.
    This is especially important with HTML email with graphics since WM6 is pretty pathetic at trying to format these pages to a narrow screen.

I just don't want to lose the touch screen like in some of the new palms.

I still look at that Treo 750 sitting on my desk (battery removed) and wish I could go back.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Question for you about the Tilt. Picture if you will I have 2647 contacts in my Treo 750. I have avoided any other form factor because of this.

I can start typing 2-3 letters of the first name and 1-2 letters of the second name and I am there.

Is there a way to do this on the tilt without sliding the keyboard. The saleman recommended using the first couple of numbers and it would show. I reminded him that I have 2647 contacts there are a lot of numbers and this will not work.

I really want the firepower but have been holding out for one of the many QWERTY WM6 Pro devices in 2008.

What advise could you lend?

Thanks
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    Question for you about the Tilt. Picture if you will I have 2647 contacts in my Treo 750. I have avoided any other form factor because of this.

I can start typing 2-3 letters of the first name and 1-2 letters of the second name and I am there.

Is there a way to do this on the tilt without sliding the keyboard. The saleman recommended using the first couple of numbers and it would show. I reminded him that I have 2647 contacts there are a lot of numbers and this will not work.

I really want the firepower but have been holding out for one of the many QWERTY WM6 Pro devices in 2008.

What advise could you lend?

Thanks
    Dial by name on the keypad.
    Just dial on the keypad the letters in order and it'll filter out anything that doesn't have those letters.

Eg, I want to fine "Steve Mc..." I dial "78383" to spell steve.
    "7" matches all names with p, q, r, or s anywhere in the name
    "78" narrows the search to anyone with p,q,r,s and t,u,v in the name
    "783" is even still shows 6 matches (which I can easily pick from) from "Dr Ru..." to "Veronica R..."
    By "78383" I have narrowed it to exactly 1 name, "Steve Mc..."
    Or I can dial "st" and "mc" by dialing 7862, yielding 1 match in my case.
    Or "7836" to dial "Ste" "M", again narrowing it to the 1 name.

I only have about 150 contacts in the phone at the moment, but I know what you mean.

1) Press the phone button, brings up the dial pad.
    2) Dial 3-5 numbers to representing letters in the name.
    3) Use up/down on the 5-way if you still have more than one match and press the center key or green phone button to dial.

You can slide out the keyboard and start typing from the home screen just like the Treo (build in feature of WM6.) But if you're like me, the last thing I want ot do when dialing a number is to open the keyboard.

So I'd say yes, it works just as well as dialing by letter on the Treo. It's obviously less accurate with the first few letters because you're dialing 3 letters at a time instead of 1, but after 4-5 digits you usually nail it. The trick is to get used to dialing 3 first, 2 last (5 numbers) and you'll usually have it, if not a very limited number of choices.

I have a bunch of pizza places stored as "Pizza, (name)" like "Pizza, Mt. Mikes" and "Pizza, Bogey's". So I'll dial "piz" gives my list of all pizza places, then dial "B" and have "Pizza, Bogeys."

After a little time you do get used to using this thing 1 handed. But when it comes to URL entry or other text entry, the keyboard comes out. After some time I don't even realize I'm doing it.

Still the Treo is king in regards to usability. But what are you gonna do if you want the added hardware? It has annoying little quarks just as the Treo does, they're just different quarks.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345