Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charliez View Post
    Why wait? I just updated my Cingular 750 (to an unbranded WM6 install): http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=156093

For those of you who are having Bluetooth problems, it's not the phone, the problem is with your car's Bluetooth module. My X5 module was the 1st gen model, so I replaced that with the latest 13th gen model. Once I replaced that it works well with the Treo, even with WM5. After the Treo update to WM6, I don't notice any specific improvement (i.e. the real issue was with the X5's old Bluetooth module).
    What year is your X5? I have an '06 5 series and I am curious if this is possible for mine. How did you replace the module--I assume that the dealer did it but was it warranty work or did you pay and if so how much?

Thanks,
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    I know WM6 won't give me higher resolution. However, I am hoping that AT&T will come out with a Treo with WM6 that has 320x320. Any idea as to whether or not that will happen?

Also, the Treo 750's that corporate customers get with WM6 pre-installed, do they have that capability?

And if not, will AT&T come out with a new Treo anytime soon? The Tilt came out less than a year after the 8525 was released, so I'm hoping for another Treo to come out reasonably soon.
    There will not be a 750 with 320x320--at least those are the rumors. The new 750's have the same hardware just new OS.

I am betting at least 6 months and probably a year because there has not even been a mention of the higher resolution screen and you will hear about well in advance of it actually getting produced.

Nobody can keep a secret anymore....Plus Palm has a respsonsibility to all of us to miss their release date!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    What year is your X5? I have an '06 5 series and I am curious if this is possible for mine. How did you replace the module--I assume that the dealer did it but was it warranty work or did you pay and if so how much?

Thanks,
    I have a 2004 545i and recently updated to software cip version 27 and now have bluetooth. my 750 works with it. go to e60.net or bimmerfest.com for more info.
    Dsol, it's very unlikely that this will be warranty work unless the bluetooth module in there is broken. You are wanting to update something that is not broken, that is how they are going to see it. If it's just a chip, it may be something you can easily do yourself but if you take it to the dealer, be prepaired to pay.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update
    the sofware update for bluetooth is free if you r still under warranty but with your car being a fcouple of years newer than mine it should work fine. do you have nav. i heard that this can make a difference. my 545 does have it
    Ok, so the 750 WM6 update for AT&T tomorrow?

As for the resolution, I am assuming that the next WM Treo will obviously be a WM6 for one, and likely have the higher res. Anyone know of any new Treo's being released anytime next year? What's on the horizon??

Even though I am disappointed and surprised at Palm's apparent mismanagement of the company and reneging on promises after promises, the Treo remains my favorite device.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

The rumors are that the WM6 update will be released tomorrow but this is about the 9th rumor that people have heard so I doubt anyone will be shocked if it is not released tomorrow.

As for the resolution, who knows. Palm has had 320x320 res on Palm OS devices as far back as early 2005 with the Treo 650. The Windows OS started with the 700w/wx back in early '06 and the WM devices have always been 240x240. They are obviously not sharing the same hardware with the devices, I can't imagine that it has anything to do with the OS but I could be wrong. I would imagine/hope that the 750 replacement will have 320x320 but who knows.... look how long it's taken them to get the WM6 update out.

I will have to agree with you about the 750 being a great device. I've had the Audiovox 5600 (my first WM device), then went to the Treo 650 (constantly resetting, missed the WM OS), Cingular 8125 (decent phone but very thick and the slide out keyboard was not very practical) and now the Treo 750. This is by far the best, most stable device I have ever owned. I'm excited to see what its replacement brings. I would really like built in GPS, WiFi and 320x320 res screen; these are really the only things that I feel the phone is lacking. I considered picking up the tilt but just the sight of the slide out keyboard reminded me how much I despised it. I'll be keeping the 750 until its successor is released.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update
    The 240x240 resolution of the WM-based Treo's is due to WM not supporting 320x320 resolution. This has changed with WM6, so presumably any future WM-based Treo's could use the same 320x320 resolution hardware of the PalmOS versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post

Thanks,
    Mine is '04. I got my bluetooth module replacement at http://www.bimmernav.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    The rumors are that the WM6 update will be released tomorrow but this is about the 9th rumor that people have heard so I doubt anyone will be shocked if it is not released tomorrow.

As for the resolution, who knows. Palm has had 320x320 res on Palm OS devices as far back as early 2005 with the Treo 650. The Windows OS started with the 700w/wx back in early '06 and the WM devices have always been 240x240. They are obviously not sharing the same hardware with the devices, I can't imagine that it has anything to do with the OS but I could be wrong. I would imagine/hope that the 750 replacement will have 320x320 but who knows.... look how long it's taken them to get the WM6 update out.

I will have to agree with you about the 750 being a great device. I've had the Audiovox 5600 (my first WM device), then went to the Treo 650 (constantly resetting, missed the WM OS), Cingular 8125 (decent phone but very thick and the slide out keyboard was not very practical) and now the Treo 750. This is by far the best, most stable device I have ever owned. I'm excited to see what its replacement brings. I would really like built in GPS, WiFi and 320x320 res screen; these are really the only things that I feel the phone is lacking. I considered picking up the tilt but just the sight of the slide out keyboard reminded me how much I despised it. I'll be keeping the 750 until its successor is released.
    The reason for the lame 240x240 actually IS/WAS a Windows Mobile limitation. Anything WM5 or earlier, that res. was the max, except for widescreen ones, where it supported 320x240. WM6 supports up to 640x480, which would be a tad high for the Treo, but 320x320 would be my preference.

I read somewhere in a thread that there was going to be a "Treo 750 Refresh", which was supposedly going to support 320x320 under WM6. I can't remember where I saw that, and it could very well be another baseless rumor.

Any idea as to what the successor of the Treo 750 will be? It's almost a year old, not counting the Vodafone Treo 750v, which came out 4 months earlier. Kind of like this AT&T WM6 release.

As of right now, 2:17PM Eastern, no WM6 on Palm. Both Palm and Microsoft are U.S. companies, and both times, we get the device as well as the OS after everybody else in the entire world. lol...
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Both Palm and Microsoft are U.S. companies, and both times, we get the device as well as the OS after everybody else in the entire world. lol...
    Yeah, what's funny is that you are in Los Angeles as well, which is just down the street from Palm and a state away from Micro$oft. And you still have to wait! At least it's warm there.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
    Yeah, what's funny is that you are in Los Angeles as well, which is just down the street from Palm and a state away from Micro$oft. And you still have to wait! At least it's warm there.
    Two states away yea lol...So...no WM6 today apparently? I'll just order an AT&T branded Treo 750 w/WM6. Gotta love those FAN accts.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    The reason for the lame 240x240 actually IS/WAS a Windows Mobile limitation.
    A very interesting story captured quite well in the Microsoft Windows Mobile Team Blog:

Defending Lack of Support for 320x320

Updated Position on 320x320 - the good news

My read on this is that Microsoft was really banking on the display makers to quickly adopt a dot-pitch allowing for 480x480 (and 480x640) upgrade from the then-popular 240x240 (and 240x320) resolution. As that transition proved too costly and too slow, Microsoft was forced to revisit that earlier decision and changed their minds opting to solve the slightly tedious scaling issue after all. Good news for us imho
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    A very interesting story captured quite well in the Microsoft Windows Mobile Team Blog:

Defending Lack of Support for 320x320

Updated Position on 320x320 - the good news

My read on this is that Microsoft was really banking on the display makers to quickly adopt a dot-pitch allowing for 480x480 (and 480x640) upgrade from the then-popular 240x240 (and 240x320) resolution. As that transition proved too costly and too slow, Microsoft was forced to revisit that earlier decision and changed their minds opting to solve the slightly tedious scaling issue after all. Good news for us imho
    Ahhh...finally someone who cares about this...lol...So does that mean we will see a Treo with 320x320 anytime soon? I've tried the 8525 and its successor, the Tilt. I just don't see any other device from any carrier that fits me as perfectly as the Treo does.

Corporate users are getting their Treo 750's with WM6. Am I correct in assuming they'll still be 240x240??? Come on, Palm, what gives here? Can we just leave an otherwise perfect Treo 750 alone, and just add the hardware to support 320x320, and make the Crunch happy? lol...Pretty please?

I'm right there with you, buddy. Give me a Treo 750 with 320x320. Throw in a little more memory and wifi and I'm a happy boy. For now I stick with the Tilt which so far gives me what the Treo is missing. I miss that Treo.
    I'm sure the Treo 750 they're selling is merely the same exact 240x240 screen 750 but with the new WM6 software.
    Palm has kept a good lid on what's coming. Sucks for us as I'd like to know what's coming and when.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I'm right there with you, buddy. Give me a Treo 750 with 320x320. Throw in a little more memory and wifi and I'm a happy boy. For now I stick with the Tilt which so far gives me what the Treo is missing. I miss that Treo.
    I'm sure the Treo 750 they're selling is merely the same exact 240x240 screen 750 but with the new WM6 software.
    Palm has kept a good lid on what's coming. Sucks for us as I'd like to know what's coming and when.
    Hey dude...I knew you'd be back. You know, "once you go Treo..." lol...

I think you're right about the current Treo continuing at 240x240. How are you doing with the Tilt? Do you really like it as much as you're alleging? j/k

As for Palm announcing anything...I love the Treo, but any announcements that come from Palm have lost all credibility with me. It took forever for the 750 to come out at all...and then the empty promises, which can't really be called promises anymore in my mind...just outright lies. But I'm not going to sit here and complain and become all angry. Whatever. WM 5.2.2 is still awesome over WM5.1.

And I will not install a non-AT&T version of WM6. You and I live in California, and Redmond, Wash., is only a few hundred miles away. I said this another thread. How come the entire world has their version of WM6, when the company making it is not only in the United States, but within driving distance from us. lol...

I don't think it's not still being tested, nor is it GoodMail 5.0. I think it's purely a business decision, so AT&T can sell the devices that have WM6 on them now. While through the back door, they've been selling Treo 750 w/WM6 to its corporate customers.

That's how I justify getting one PDA for free after another after another, and knocking out bills for a fellow COL member who shall remain nameless...AHHAHA You go AT&T. And I will continue to bleed you dry of thousands of U.S. dollars....

It's like chess. Let's call it e-chess. And I'm very good at it.

Ahhh...finally someone who cares about this...lol...So does that mean we will see a Treo with 320x320 anytime soon?
    You understand that the WM OS supporting 320x320 means nothing to Treos until the hardware [specifically, the screen] specs are compatible? Until, and unless Palm changes that spec for WM-versions, it's 240X240.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    You understand that the WM OS supporting 320x320 means nothing to Treos until the hardware [specifically, the screen] specs are compatible? Until, and unless Palm changes that spec for WM-versions, it's 240X240.
    Of course I understand that. That's why I said that I would like to see the next Treo to be a WM6 Treo that will support at least 320x320. But Palm being the the company that it has been, I can't take anything they "announce" seriously anymore.

I like the Tilt, but it's no Treo, no matter how you slice it. I love that form factor, the feel, the looks, etc.

Of course I understand that. That's why I said that I would like to see the next Treo to be a WM6 Treo that will support at least 320x320.
    Good. Then you may want to consider the Samsung i780 if/when it supports quadband gsm and US 3G. Your odds are better there than waiting for Palm to extract its head from its posterior or repeatedly inquiring when Palm will release their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Good. Then you may want to consider the Samsung i780 if/when it supports quadband gsm and US 3G. Your odds are better there than waiting for Palm to extract its head from its posterior or repeatedly inquiring when Palm will release their own.
    lol...well, the WM6 upgrade will be nice, but I've had the always-working HSDPA hack from day one, so it won't be all that impressive. What I'm after is resolution. For example, I just bought, for a ridiculous price, a Thinkpad T60p w/ UXGA (1600x1200) and IPS!! I am on cloud no. niiiiiinnnee...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast