1.    #1  
    I just found this site tonight and I'm in love .

Been looking around for a few hours now and made my first "mod" if you will.

I found on here where they explain how to change the DNS server #'s for faster loading of the internet, and wow..big difference.

I'm interested in more mods but currently have no clue on where to start or what I would even want. I'll give it a day or two of surfing the site from work (on the phone of course) and then I'll go from there.

n00ber Q's I have is (and I've searched for it, can't find it). What is a Soft reset, and a Hard reset, and how. When are they to be used?

Thanks guy's...looking forward to learning more about this amazing little phone, and how I can use it to make life easier.
    Palm Treo 700WX No mods to list.
    03Mach1 plenty of mods to list.
    Welcome!!!! soft reset is done by pressing a button next to the battery with the stylus tip, or removing the battery for a second. What this does it reset the phone to purge out the running apps, and prevent (or cure) freeze-ups. This does nothing perminant to your phone. A hard reset wipes the device basically returning it to out of the box status, and you do this by pressing the same button with the stylus tip (it is under the battery cover by the way) and pressing the red 'end' button at the same time. This is perminant, and you start from scratch unless you have a backup file.

There are many apps out there, some a must, a lot are just really cool. Don't worry about questions, please feel free to ask.

P.S. If you want to fall even further in love, check out this site:

http://ppcgeeks.com/
  3.    #3  
    K thanks!

On a hard reset...Will I lose all my pictures? Ring tone settings? Will I lose a purchased application? I purchased the "Keep Track" application an really like it, wouldn't want to lose it and my saved settings within it..

Is there a way..to backup the settings I have in the phone now?
    On a hard reset, you lose everything on the device, settings, downloaded ringers, pictures, and apps. The hard reset does not touch a memory card though, so your safe with that. As far as a backup, there are a few apps out there. I use SPB backup, and I am very happy with it, but it does cost you to purchase. Palm supplies Sprite backup for free, so if you don't want to spend more money, or just want time to look around, I would go here:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...kup/index.html

and do a backup. A lot of people love this app, so if you like it, there is no reason to buy another....but if you want to look, here is SPB:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en

As far as purchased apps, they should come out of recovery registered, but I would keep a record of all registration codes just in case!!!!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Yes, a hard reset will take the phone back to exactly how it was when you got it out of the box on returning home from the store. Everything is gone. One way to get your contacts and calendar back, is to backup a file called "pim.vol" (it will just show up as "pim" without the file extension in the regular windows explorer), to your SD card. As for the program, that should have come as a ".CAB" file (cabinet), and most people just store the cabs on the SD card so you can restore your software in the event of having to do a hard reset while away from your PC. If the software was installed via active-sync, look on your PC in C:/program files/microsoft active sync/ and you should be able to find the .CAB and copy it directly over to your SD card for safe keeping.
    I'll second the PIM backup, I would do that as well, then after you run the main backup file and it takes your phone back to the state you had it at before reset (apps, tweaks....) you run the PIM backup, and your good as gold!!!
  7.    #7  
    Umm...

SD card, is the card I can put in the top of the Treo right?

I'll have to get one of those. And then annoy everyone here with how to do it...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Treo View Post
    Umm...

I'll have to get one of those. And then annoy everyone here with how to do it...lol
    Yes, that is the slot on top of the Treo. As far as annoying us......Don't worry about it!!!! We all started out as noobs.....Using the card is actually quite easy, but there are a few tricks of the trade so to speak. When you get the card, just shoot some questions our way, or ask now if your curious!!!

We are here to help!!!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Umm...

Welcome to Treo Central. You can definitely learn a great deal about the Treo and how to use it and modify it to your liking but one piece of advice is search the forum before you post about something. Most likely you will find everything you need and if you don't thats what we are hear for. But welcome and I hope you enjoy your new toy.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  10.    #10  
    Thanks guys. I always use the search feature first but sometimes that's not always the answer or I can't get exactly what I'm looking for.

If ya got any Mustang questions, I can answer those lol....
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Well I have a feeling that you will do just fine around here.
    Thanks guys. I always use the search feature first but sometimes that's not always the answer or I can't get exactly what I'm looking for.

If ya got any Mustang questions, I can answer those lol....
    How fast is it?? Mine goes 9's.
    Umm...

speaking of SD cards, is it true that you can only access a 2gb card? I heard this before but never really tried anything other than my 256 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by elithegreat View Post
    speaking of SD cards, is it true that you can only access a 2gb card? I heard this before but never really tried anything other than my 256 card.
    i'm currently using a 4gb SD w/ no problems
    Verizon 700W(it sucks)
    Quote Originally Posted by jchrist View Post
    How fast is it?? Mine goes 9's.
    .....showoff lol.
    How do you mod the treo for faster internet? What mod did you do?

Thanks Im pretty new as well.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by painter0121 View Post
    How do you mod the treo for faster internet? What mod did you do?

Thanks Im pretty new as well.
    They were talking about their Mustangs. Not their treos.
    I just found this site tonight and I'm in love .

Been looking around for a few hours now and made my first "mod" if you will.

I found on here where they explain how to change the DNS server #'s for faster loading of the internet, and wow..big difference.
    I'm interested in more mods but currently have no clue on where to start or what I would even want. I'll give it a day or two of surfing the site from work (on the phone of course) and then I'll go from there.

n00ber Q's I have is (and I've searched for it, can't find it). What is a Soft reset, and a Hard reset, and how. When are they to be used?

Thanks guy's...looking forward to learning more about this amazing little phone, and how I can use it to make life easier.

I was talking about this part. I know that they were talking bout their cars later. How do you get fast internet on the treo? I am using Sprint service.
    Quote Originally Posted by typhoone View Post
    .....showoff lol.

Not a show off, just a proud gearhead. Also wanted to point out that gearheads can be gadget freaks as well.

Always need more horsepower and more ram!!!