1.    #1  
    So they've finally released the eye-fi WiFi SD card for camera's in the 2GB storage capacity. I emailed them a long time ago to see if they had any interest in utilizing the card and they said they weren't sure. I wonder how hard it would be to make this work on our Treo's. I really like how it's the size of a normal SD card. Here's the email I got from them, sorry it's so long.

http://www.eye.fi/

"EYE-FI UNVEILS WORLD’S FIRST WIRELESS MEMORY CARD

Eye-Fi Card Uses Wi-Fi to Automatically Upload Photos to Computers and Online Photo Sharing and Social Networking Sites

Eye-Fi Card Uses Wi-Fi to Automatically Upload Photos to Computers and Online Photo Sharing and Social Networking Sites

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 30, 2007 — Eye-Fi Inc., a company dedicated to helping people navigate, nurture and share their digital memories, today unveiled the Eye-Fi Card — the world’s first wireless SD memory card for digital cameras. The Eye-Fi Card uses home Wi-Fi networks to create an effortless and convenient way for users to send photographs directly from digital cameras to PCs, Macs and online photo and social networking sites. See release entitled “Eye-Fi Announces Support from Seventeen Online Photo Destinations.” Priced at $99.99 with 2GB of storage, the Eye-Fi Card is available now from major online retailers.

“Digital cameras have made it extremely easy to take pictures, but the rest of the process is a hassle,” said Jef Holove, chief executive officer of Eye-Fi. “The Eye-Fi Card removes the barriers and lets users get to the fun part of sharing and printing their memories. We’re putting the magic back into photography.”

Eye-Fi uses home wireless networks to eliminate the time-consuming chore of dealing with cables, card readers or software plug-ins associated with uploading photos. Users simply turn on their digital camera and their pictures are wirelessly uploaded. The Eye-Fi Card works with existing and new SD-compatible digital cameras and stores photos like a conventional SD memory card.

“We know that a large percent of digital images captured each day are never printed or shared. That adds up to significant lost revenues for photo sharing and printing sites,” said IDC analyst Ron Glaz. “We anticipate wireless cameras will fundamentally change the way people manage their digital photographs in the future and believe that the Eye-Fi Card will help drive these changes.”

How the Eye-Fi Card Works

During a simple set-up process, users can select from among 17 popular online photo sharing, printing, social networking or blogging sites to share their photographs, and select where on their PC or Mac they want to archive their images. Once the set-up is complete, users can focus on taking pictures and sharing memories — and not on the process of uploading photos from their camera.

Eye-Fi’s free upload service allows users to transfer an unlimited number of photos. It handles full-resolution JPEG pictures and intelligently resizes the images if required by the selected online destination.

“We’re thrilled to be among the first to sell the Eye-Fi Card and we expect it to be a big hit for the holidays,” said Aaron Maguire of Buy.com. “Eye-Fi understands how time-starved our customers are, and this solution matches their needs.”

The 2GB wireless SD memory card, which holds approximately 1,000 images, is available now at major online retailers including Amazon.com, Buy.com and Walmart.com for $99.99 USD. It’s also available from the online stores of J&R, B&H Photo Video, dotPhoto and Photojojo. For more information, please visit www.eye.fi."

Here's what it looks like:
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    There was another one out there that they said it would work for devices like the Treo, but I can't for the life of me seem to find it right now. This is definitely a step in the right direction, however..
    Okay, so does this work as a normal wifi card as well, or is it limited to strictly uploading photos? Seems like it is not an SDIO card, which would imply that you cannot use it for networking.
    I think the point of this card is misunderstood...

Its specifically for cameras (as far as we know) so that you can connect to a wireless network to upload your photos to like flkr, photobucket, etc. But you are correct that it wouldn't be able to use networking (or so I understand). I have also read that it can't connect to hotspots, so even if we could use it, whats the point of being able to use the card away from home?
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I think the point of this card is misunderstood...

Its specifically for cameras (as far as we know) so that you can connect to a wireless network to upload your photos to like flkr, photobucket, etc. But you are correct that it wouldn't be able to use networking (or so I understand). I have also read that it can't connect to hotspots, so even if we could use it, whats the point of being able to use the card away from home?
    Oh, I get it alright (but I just don't get it)

I think it makes more sense for a digital camera.
  6.    #6  
    The thing that gets me is why hasn't someone come up with a card like this that is specifically made for PDA's and PocketPC's? The fact that this card has some kind of wireless radio built into it plus 2GB of storage should clue to manufacturers that it's not rocket science. If they can make a minisd card that is a wi-fi card, why can't they make a standard size SD card with some kinda of storage (more than 256mb like the palm unit). Maybe this product will get the ball rolling for someone to produce something specifically for our niche; maybe not.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Agreed, I would love to have a combo 4GB/wifi card that is standard SD height. I don't know why it hasn't been done yet...