1.    #1  
    The day after Apple announces their 3G iPhone.
    Why do you say that?
    OPTIMOGREEN
  3.    #3  
    Think about it. What do they get for releasing that upgrade now rather than later? You could say it's to not alienate their existing customer base, but they already have our money. They promised that the upgrade will be free, so it's harder for people to complain about not getting it yet (although lots of folks on these boards continue to do so). They haven't started selling 750s with WM6 on them. What's their motivation to releasing it?

That's why I see it as their ace in the hole. They won't release it until they can use it to their marketing advantage.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    They haven't started selling 750s with WM6 on them.
    Yes they have, Treo 750's on Rogers have WM6 preinstalled It's possible that Vodafone and/or 3 are shipping their 750's with WM6 too
    PALM will never be able to use this to their advantage. There are plewnty of phones being released with WM6 pre-installed. If anythng they are late to the party yet again.

WM6 has nothing to do with a 3G iPhone. Don't give Apple too much credit
  6.    #6  
    "Yes they have, Treo 750's on Rogers have WM6 preinstalled It's possible that Vodafone and/or 3 are shipping their 750's with WM6 too"

I meant in the US.
    "WM6 has nothing to do with a 3G iPhone. Don't give Apple too much credit"

It does if Apple comes out and touts 3G on their next phone. Palm will then want/need to one better them with the HSDPA you get from WM6, or maybe even HSUPA as some on these boards have suggested. Before then, why do they need to release it?
    "Yes they have, Treo 750's on Rogers have WM6 preinstalled It's possible that Vodafone and/or 3 are shipping their 750's with WM6 too"

I meant in the US.
    "WM6 has nothing to do with a 3G iPhone. Don't give Apple too much credit"

It does if Apple comes out and touts 3G on their next phone. Palm will then want/need to one better them with the HSDPA you get from WM6, or maybe even HSUPA as some on these boards have suggested. Before then, why do they need to release it?
    Okay.....hold up....I don't really see how a 3G iPhone has any bearing on WM6 for the 750, and here's why:

• first off, do you really think apple would release a 3G iphone in 8-12 months time without HSDPA enabled? Heck it would probably have HSUPA enabled....just look at how they got ATT to bend over for them to fine tune the EDGE network for the 2.5G iPhone
    • Second, as it stands right now, the iPhone and the Treo 750 are in two different categories, as far as I have seen, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to the UI and browser on the iPhone. For someone like me, the decision between iPhone and Treo 750 really comes down to the 3G on the 750 being faster, but the iPhone's browser being far better and more useable. If you add 3G to the iPhone, why would you even look back at the treo unless they upped the resolution on the screen, got a better UI than what windows mobile offers right now, and styled it to be thinner and more modern looking?
    • Finally, in the current state of things, the iPhone wins in terms of style, UI, speed of UI, screen res, displaying html email (not PUSH email ), and of course browsing the web. The Treo wins with its [legitimate] unlockability and 3G connectivity. Both (come February) will officially support native 3rd party apps so that is no longer an issue. Now if you take 3G and throw it on the iPhone's side too, the only thing the Treo 750 has left for it is legitimate unlockability.

I'm not trying to be an iPhone fanboy (because I love my 750 as well), but Palm knows (or better know) that it cannot pit the Treo 750 against the iPhone and expect it to win, even with WM6. If anything, the iPhone has shown us (kinda like the PalmOS) what a good UI on a mobile device these days should be.
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 10/25/2007 at 07:03 PM.
    One better? How is WM6 one better? It's out already

So does Palm wait until they ANNOUNCE the 3G iphone, or RELEASE it? Regardless, Palm announced this upgrade WAY before the iPhone came out, after it was announced too, and here is the iPhone launching in Europe and still no WM6. The longer it takes, the more people on here will think of new reasons why they wait...

No disrespect of course, I just see absolutely no relation between the 2. 3G is a HUGE upgrade for the iPhone, but WM6 is an INCREMENTAL AKU update for the 750.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I meant in the US.
    So you don't think then that it could be down to AT&T then and not Palm

I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying Palm haven't released the WM6 upgrade yet. It's out there, people outside the US are using it without resulting to leaked or hacked ROM's, if you want to complain at someone complain at AT&T.
    I have heard that there might be or might have been some glitches with AT&T's network--something about an issue picking up the correct time of the network which resulted in devices being off by one hour. There have been several revisions since the release of the popular "leaked ROM". I am running a firmware of 1.54.26 and it seems to behave better than the leaked ROM. My build is 18125.0.4.2 If you compare that to the leaked ROM there has likely been several changes/updates. Palm is the entity releasing these updates so I am guessing they are involved.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I heard that all of the smartphone manufacturers in the world are waiting until the 3G iPhone drops to introduce devices that have battery life of 10 days of continuous use and use solar power to recharge, 10mbps/10mbps internet, XGA screen resolution, 120gb of internal memory expandable to 500gb of memory using a new flashcard technology that is cheaper than HDDs, software that is telepathically linked to the owner's mind so you don't even need ANY type of a keyboard, and can download any movies you want OTA for $5.99 a month. These will be released when the godly 3G iPhone is announced. I can't wait.
    Lol