Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    i have a treo 700w (verizon)

I wanted to install some games or applications on my treo but there's a problem. I don't have the USB wire and i don't have ActiveSync and all that, the phone does not have internet either however. I'm left with only my SD Memory Card (2 Gigs). This leaves me only to install apps from my SD Card.

I read around and heard you can copy the file from the SD CARD (the .PCR file that is) into the RAM (basically the internal memory itself). Is this possible? If so, where is the RAM located?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    .PRC files are for Palm OS devices. The files you will need to copy will likely be .msi
    Copy the files to your sd card. Insert card into handheld. Open FileExplorer. Browse to the card. Double click on the filename. Installation will begin.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    For a Windows Mobile PocketPC device like the Treo 700w or wx if you don't have any other means of transfering files, you will need to install your applications via .CAB files.

A lot of programs are available for direct download from the Treo. CAB files are the install program format in that scenario and will give you the least amount of trouble installing. Be aware that for any software you select, be sure to get the PocketPC version (NOT the Smartphone version). The Treo 700w/wx are running the PocketPC version of Windows Mobile 5.

When the install begins, you'll be given a choice to install on the Device or on the Storage Card. Which to do will depend on your habits and the size/features/purpose of the program you are installing. Many programs run fine from an SD card, but some run much better from internal memory (Device). Also, keep in mind that some poorly written programs don't properly uninstall if they were installed to the Storage Card instead of to Device.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 10/25/2007 at 08:25 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    THNX A BUNCH GUYZ ^__^. okay i'm aware that different extensions are required. However, most files i seem to get are PRC, is there a way to convert them to MSI or CAB?
    Where are you getting your software from? PRC files are programs compiled for the PalmOS, not Windows Mobile. You need to obtain the Windows Mobile versions. There is no way to convert one to the other.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    wait, i think i know where u'r getting at. Palm and Windows Mobile are two different things right? So any application for windows mobile can be .cab file or MSI but PRC is for the whole palm itself

However, let's say i wanna install FileZ, and it's a .PRC file, how do i install into my Treo from an SD CARD?
    However, let's say i wanna install FileZ, and it's a .PRC file, how do i install into my Treo from an SD CARD?

You can't install FileZ when it's a .PRC file. See if the developer also has the application written for Pocket PCs (.cab file) and not just Palm OS. The 2 formats are totally incompatible. Once u have the .cab file, access it from the Treo and just click on the .cab file. It will start the installation process on its own from there - answer any prompt on the screen.
    It will give you the option of where to install. If it's something for your today screen or something you'll use frequently install to main memory. Some programs won't work from the sd card. It's largely trial and error.

You can download active sync 4.5 from microsoft's website and you can get a cable at ebay, staples, office depot, etc.

Prc file are for palm operating system, not palm devices per say. Palm devices will run windows mobile operating systems or palm operating systems depending on the model. You can use anything for palm os.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7121 View Post
    wait, i think i know where u'r getting at. Palm and Windows Mobile are two different things right? So any application for windows mobile can be .cab file or MSI but PRC is for the whole palm itself

You don't. Period.

For a Palm Treo 700W or WX you files that are designed for direct installation into a Windows Mobile device. Most of these are .cab files. None of these are .prc files.

For a Palm OS device, like the Treo 650, you use .prc files.

With the 700W/WX series of phone you have entered a whole new world that is Windows Mobile.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    ohhhhhhhhh i see. So it's all .CAB from here on out huh?

okay... so let's say i want Adobe Reader for PocketPC, and it's an exe format?

please don't yell, but any suggestions?

One thing you can do is google "Adobe Reader CAB" and see if there is one out there, a lot of developers release both a CAB and as EXE.

I do have one question though....how are you getting the CABs to your card? I will assume you have a PC, and if you do, I would really recommend downloading ActiveSync and at least pairing your phone to your PC....it does make some things a lot easier down the road. If there is a reason you don't want to or can't I understand, but if it is just a matter of a question or some concern on your part, feel free to ask, I am sure we can get you to where you need to be!!!

If you are not using ActiveSync on your desktop computer, and haven't paired your Treo 700w to your PC, then you cannot use .EXE installation files. Your only option, in that case, is to see if the developer has a .CAB file.

As others have stated, do yourself a favor and get ActiveSync. Your software installation options open up quite a bit.

You should also review this: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...all_and_t.html
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    WOW, all rite, i get the fact that i only can use CAB files now. Does anyone know where to get an Adobe Reader in cab? lol
    Do a google search. There's some info on how to go about getting a .cab file for Acrobat. There are other alternatives though for viewing PDF files.
    I recommend Piscel Viewer as an alternative. The 700wx came with it preinstalled. Not sure about the 700w. It might have come on the CD.

UPDATE: Piscel is available on Palm's website: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...sel/index.html

You'll need ActiveSync to install it, though.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 10/25/2007 at 06:39 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    all rite, i found an alternative PDF reader and was able to install it, It's pretty neat ^__^. THANK SO MUCH.

I also need one more advice however.... my battery icon is gone . The status icon is in the top right anymore, i'm not sure wat i did, but it's not there. lol