1.    #1  
    I hate to say it, but Exchange Active Sync suddenly just lost a bit of its shine. Google is now offering IMAP for free and it's seriously tempting. The one thing I sincerely wish EAS (or at least my EAS, 1and1) would do is server-side filtering - I want the massing influx of press releases and various group emails I get every day to get out of my inbox and into their little folders.

With Gmail, "folders" are actually "labels," meaning it's *technically* one giant archive of email split into just two folders: "inbox" and "everything." So you can set up a filter to Label something and then Archive it and you essentially have moved it into that "imap folder," but it's also easily searchable. It's a nice setup.

Will anybody be dropping EAS for gmail now that it has IMAP? Can we really live without push? Can somebody explain to me why Gmail is still in beta? Why is a duck?

Google has upped the ante when it comes to relying on Gmail as a full featured e-mail service with its introduction today of free IMAP access to your Gmail account. In short, this means you'll be able configure Gmail to easily keep your account in sync with your home and work PC, mobile phone, and any other device used to access Gmail with.
    Read: Today @ PC World Google Offers Free IMAP Access to Gmail

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/google_goes_imap.html
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    You can create server side filtering rules with Outlook if you are using EAS.
    For instance I've set up rules to send emails from specific domains or email addresses to particular folders. I set them up in Outlook and sync those folders. It works perfectly. Isn't that what server side rules are?
    Well, you know my opinion already. I think EAS is mostly marketing fluff for items that users think they can't live without but in reality offers little more than what one could find on the market for free (and in some cases better). But it's an expensive solution, so it must be good.

One thing this doesn't give us, as you mentioned, is push e-mail (although I question the full transaction time for push e-mail today). This is easily solved by adding IMAP Idle support (which again I would question the full transaction time). The other thing this is missing is contact / calendar syncing, although I don't think that syncML is too far behind (I have no data, just theorizing). Until then EAS has its place.

Of course I'm giddy with excitement over this announcement. GMail IMAP on my iPhone is bencredible. Get me IMAP Idle and syncML support and we're golden. I guess June 2008.
    Well, I for one will stay with my EAS (on my business address). I tried IMAP for one of my Google accounts for a day and it was constantly hanging up in Outlook. I could see how the iPhone folks could love this, but otherwise it was a PIA for me - no benefit. I went back to POP.
    One problem I've found with Google IMAP: it's killing my battery. What gives?