1.    #1  
    Currently using POP and everything seems to be working just fine for my situation so what would be the benefit in using IMAP? I've tried searching but really don't see what the big deal about it. Here's where I heard it from: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/G...ets-IMAP-88750
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Without getting technical, IMAP is:

(1) Faster than POP

(2) More efficient

This means that your device will send/receive less information to get the email, it will connect and check faster and in the end, depending on how often you check and how much mail you get, you'll save battery life.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ...all that, but most importantly, you will have more control over your email.

IMAP offers the following advantages over POP3 (mind you, I am going to assume that Google's implementation of IMAP is robust and not watered down):

1. Can manipulate and keep track persistent message flags such as "read", "deleted", "replied"
    2. Can store messages and as well as fetch them on command
    3. Can access and manage several mailboxes at once
    4. Instant access to incoming mail (ver similar to push, with subtle differences)

...plus a few other lesser advantages, but really - this is a watershed moment for Gmail and their users.

It might actually behoove me to use it now. LOL!
    One major advantage is that your mail remains on the server as do your folders so that no matter where you check mail at your directory structure and all of your messages remain available.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  5.    #5  
    Few things I've noticed so far with IMAP:

*Some accounts are showing the IMAP settings where some aren't. My account showed the settings where my girlfriends account isn't showing up yet.
    *It's nice that it automatically pulled my folders in GMail.
    *Nice that I can sync the folders.
    *However, it isn't pulling the bodies on some of my emails, just the headers.
    *Some message bodies aren't showing up correctly.

I might go back to POP for the time being until this thing is running smoothly. Might wait a day or two.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LbSigMan View Post
    Few things I've noticed so far with IMAP:

*Some accounts are showing the IMAP settings where some aren't. My account showed the settings where my girlfriends account isn't showing up yet.
    Google is rolling the feature out gradually. I believe they said in that all users should see IMAP by week's end.

*However, it isn't pulling the bodies on some of my emails, just the headers.
    Check your client settings? If so, could be a case of some teething pains. It'll get cleared up quickly I'm sure.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Check your client settings? If so, could be a case of some teething pains. It'll get cleared up quickly I'm sure.
    I've checked everything but it still isn't working. Going back to POP for the time being.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    It's working on my Centro with Chatter, but some of the HTML coding is off (Chatter can do HTML, but limited), so I think it's working but yeah, there may be some kinks in it for a bit.

Too bad Mobile Outlook is so generic and really can't take advantage of all the features of IMAP, although there is FlexMail 2007 which does.

What are the settings? I tried some I found on the web but they didn't work. Gmail pulled the info from their help.
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    What are the settings? I tried some I found on the web but they didn't work. Gmail pulled the info from their help.
    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...n&answer=75726

But...you have to first enable IMAP in your Gmail settings, so if you don't have that set, then this won't work on your account, just FYI.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    how are FOLDERS working in gmail?
    Best feature of all is that sent emails don't show up in your frikkin inbox!

...although maybe that's because I have a filter set to have emails from myself skip the inbox? May have to test removing that filter to see what happens...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
    lol I was thinking the same thing. maybe it means the default folders like trash, spam, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
    Create a folder in, for example, outlook and it creates a label in gmail. You place what you want in that folder while in outlook and when you get to gmail you simply click on the label to see only the emails you put in the folder in outlook.

I'm still trying to get used to it... not as smooth as a traditional folder-based online email client (like the way AOL has free IMAP setup). It took me a couple of minutes to really understand what they had done... in your email client you have the name of the account you setup and in another folder your old gmail emails.

What gmail really needs is a alternate folder-based online account or some way to smooth out this imap implementation... IMO. I've went from really liking it (earlier today) to trying to work in it. The initial shock had me hyped, but that has wore off. I'll take it though, I only hope this will cause hotmail to wake up and turn on imap.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  15.    #15  
    I tried it again tonight to see if I had done something wrong before; I was having problems with only headers showing up on some while others the whole message would come through. I have no idea why there is another folder named Gmail aside from the Inbox. When I went into the Gmail folder, I selected some folders which wasn't the right thing as it was going to attempt to download 112 emails. Again, I'm back to POP. Maybe it's me, maybe it's Gmail but this whole IMAP thing has given me a bad impression of it. I like things that are simple and simply just work. I've never had one problem with POP, and I've never had my messages disappear.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by LbSigMan View Post
    I tried it again tonight to see if I had done something wrong before; I was having problems with only headers showing up on some while others the whole message would come through. I have no idea why there is another folder named Gmail aside from the Inbox. When I went into the Gmail folder, I selected some folders which wasn't the right thing as it was going to attempt to download 112 emails. Again, I'm back to POP. Maybe it's me, maybe it's Gmail but this whole IMAP thing has given me a bad impression of it. I like things that are simple and simply just work. I've never had one problem with POP, and I've never had my messages disappear.
    It is not you... gmail uses a label-based system and their imap implementation is not very smooth.

You have the other "gmail" folder in your box since this holds the other email from your online account. The other folder, "inbox," holds your imap email. No, this is not the way any company has launched imap in the past (far as I know) and it blows.

I don't know if this will help you: http://lifehacker.com/software/gmail...map-314565.php

It shows how to setup gmail on several phones. I've not tried it yet, so I don't know how this would work with the treo. Actually, I might not try it since I like the way I have my email setup on my treo and I use it for business... I don't want something to happen and I have to recreate those accounts (well, the system I have setup...).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Gmail.prc
    + Contacts... even dial from there
    + Labels & views good
    - Needs to sync everytime
    - Java

Gmail -) fastmail.fm
    + No surprises, everything as expected

Gmail IMAP
    - Weird, after the initial excitement
    - Requires mental gymnastics to keep everything working
    - Problems with attachments
    Game over!
    Gmail-IMAP will probably end up giving IMAP a bad name, driving more people into the POP fold.
    Game over!
    I used it for a day - keep having connection problems and looong wait times when I clicked a header. Also - the folder set up was funky too (as said above) particularly on my phone. I was doing it just for grins anyway - I have Exchange on my primary account and don't really use Gmail that much. I am back to POP.

BTW - You guys realize this was implemented primarily for iPhone's, right?