Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Google SMS

goog-411

I did a search and haven't seen this before- so I figured I'd put it up here-

Dial 1-800-goog411 (466-4411)-
    free voice recognition- listing information (it's google -be as vague as you like- i.e "pizza, syracuse, ny"- it'll connect you for free too, or tell it to send you a text message with the number and address. (and so far- no ads!!!)

Send SMS to "google" (i.e.466453)- just like google, ask it anything- or just say a team name for current scores etc.- I even asked it for directions (it took 4 messages to give me the details but it was turn by turn with distance- like google maps directions)- I actually even sent just my last name and zip code (no other info, didn't even say I was looking for a "phone book " listing) and it sent me back a full listing- you can also set your location- so if text just "movies"- it'll respond for your zip code-

Obviously, these tools aren't as good as browsing- but sure is more convenient, no frills and easy for on the go-

Google really is taking over the world.
    [QUOTE=marksr;1364618]

Dial 1-800-goog411 (466-4411)-
    free voice recognition- listing information (it's google -be as vague as you like- i.e "pizza, syracuse, ny"- it'll connect you for free too, or tell it to send you a text message with the number and address. (and so far- no ads!!!)

[QUOTE]

This looks a LOT like Mobile LIVE search, but I will check it out....I noticed you uses Syracuse NY in your example...I am from there, suprised me to see it in a forum!!!
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    This looks a LOT like Mobile LIVE search, but I will check it out....I noticed you uses Syracuse NY in your example...I am from there, suprised me to see it in a forum!!!
    MS Live Search is much better- but the advantage of this is the no-frills aspect- sometimes it's just quicker to send a text message then to open a program.
    and the Syracuse reference was actually done as a tribute to you!!!! (.... Just kidding... I actually just randomly picked a city)
    This function was made available to the all users for quite some time: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=google (Mobile users: click this)
    Although this was discussed under the Palm OS but the application does work for other devices other than Treo.