Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As Jennifer Chappell notes over at TreoCentral, Palm has announced that they're a big partner for the upcoming **Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008** (yes, that's what it's called - that whole phrase. I'm just happy they didn't put the word "Live" in there.)

If you're interested in seeing what's coming in 2008 with MSCDM, check out our liveblog of the announcement. If you're interested in what it means that Palm is going to support it with a software update to the Treo 750, well, we don't exactly know.

...but it makes us think that the Treo 750 on AT&T won't see an official upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 until then. Please, Palm, prove us wrong.

In the meantime, the Australian Hack to WM6 suddenly look quite a bit more appealing.

As expected, Palm today announced that it will make the Palm(R) Treo(TM) 750 smartphone compatible with Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008, delivering increased security and easier phone management, as well as access to information on the corporate network. IT professionals will be able to confidently manage large Treo 750 deployments with features such as policy enforcement, inventory and reporting, and software targeting.
    Read: treocentral.com

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru..._2008_now.html
    I'm sorry if I come across as sour but this cat and mouse game Palm and Microsoft is playing with the release of WM6 is getting boring. The "top-secret" approach is so stupid.

Why can't they just come out and say, "We've put it off until next year." or "If everything falls into place WM6 will be release Nov. 1, 2007" If there's an unexpectant delay, tell us that and I'm sure everyone (or most) will understand. But to hang WM6 on a stick like a carrot is dumb.

All the games Palm and MS are playing starts to make the Blackberry appealling.

(excuse the double post but this is likely the more appropriate location for this)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Don't think you can really point the blame at Palm and Microsoft as WM6 upgrades for the 750 have already been released for other carriers, seems to be AT&T who are responsible for the delay

From what I've read MSCDM 2008 requires Windows Mobile 6.1, which of course isn't out yet, so I'd be surprised if AT&T skipped 6.0 completely.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I, for one, am completely satisfied with the XDA WM6 on my unlocked 750!! It's only about a million times better [brisk/snappier, stable, longer battery life, HSDPA out of the box... et all] compared to WM5
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I'm sorry if I come across as sour but this cat and mouse game Palm and Microsoft is playing with the release of WM6 is getting boring. The "top-secret" approach is so stupid.

Why can't they just come out and say, "We've put it off until next year." or "If everything falls into place WM6 will be release Nov. 1, 2007" If there's an unexpectant delay, tell us that and I'm sure everyone (or most) will understand. But to hang WM6 on a stick like a carrot is dumb.

All the games Palm and MS are playing starts to make the Blackberry appealling.

(excuse the double post but this is likely the more appropriate location for this)
    Again, how is this a Palm issue if they have released the update in other countries? Shouldn't you be aiming your frustration at AT&T?
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Aiming my frustrations at AT&T? Can they release an operating system themselves? I guess if they develop it in-house but the upgrade is a product of Palm and MS.

Regardless who is to blame, someone should have the backbone to step up to the plate and tell the consumers what's going on.
    Note the update to the main article, which I personally believe. Real Soon Now (tm).
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post
    I, for one, am completely satisfied with the XDA WM6 on my unlocked 750!! It's only about a million times better [brisk/snappier, stable, longer battery life, HSDPA out of the box... et all] compared to WM5

I'm with you. I can't believe the AT&T release will be better to the point of even noticing. If it weren't for the XDA release, I might have tried another phone by now. If nothing else, it saved me a few bucks.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    "Well look at this: the AT&T booth has a flyer for the Treo 750 that claims that HSDPA and Windows Mobile 6 will be available in 2007. Prying about doesn't really yield anything substantial except some winks, nods, and hints that it's coming very soon."

Why the winks, nods and hints? Can't AT&T commit to something? How about Palm or MS? When do we get something substantial?
    Aiming my frustrations at AT&T? Can they release an operating system themselves? I guess if they develop it in-house but the upgrade is a product of Palm and MS.

Regardless who is to blame, someone should have the backbone to step up to the plate and tell the consumers what's going on.
    But Palm HAS released WM6 for the Treo. They are not under any obligation to consult with the lunatic fringe about their plans. It's crazy to me that people are upset with Palm because they haven't revealed corporate information to the consuming public over an opertaing system upgrade. When was the last time Apple or Microsoft offered a free operating system upgrade? Yet Palm gets bashed for providing one later that some customers feel it should have been. It's absurd......
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan View Post
    But Palm HAS released WM6 for the Treo. They are not under any obligation to consult with the lunatic fringe about their plans. It's crazy to me that people are upset with Palm because they haven't revealed corporate information to the consuming public over an opertaing system upgrade. When was the last time Apple or Microsoft offered a free operating system upgrade? Yet Palm gets bashed for providing one later that some customers feel it should have been. It's absurd......

Your absurd....

Lunatic fringe? The moderators wouldn't appreciate my first thoughts on that statement. But, why is it so unreasonable for consumers to expect information on product releases from the manufacturers?

I'm not asking for trade secrets or sacred corporate information but rather PRODUCT information. I choose the Treo 750 for two reasons, I was unhappy with Palm OS and WM6. Palm, ATT and MS have no problem promoting the sale of the 750 with the opportunity to upgrade to WM6 so why can't someone offer PRODUCT information such as a release date?

I'm not bashing these manufacturers because WM6 hasn't been released as I felt it should have been. I'm bashing them for not offering more PRODUCT information as to when WM6 will be released.

If they came out tomorrow and said WM6 has a target release date of October 1, 2008 I'd be fine with that. If on September 1, 2008 they realized that there was a bug in the upgrade and announced a delay of 30 days, I'd be fine with that too. What drives me crazy is the half-wits that leak information, vague statements from Company support and sales reps, and constantly seeing "rumored" release dates come and go with no product.

If this environment is fine with you, great. It's just getting a little old in my book.
    All I can say is that February won't come soon enough. It's time for Palm to put up or shut up, literally. And all this WM talk aside, where's the Linux? Coy responses and tactic snickers are boring. Get on with putting software in users hands or don't waste our time. I have heard so many promises of good things to come from Palm and I'm not feeling the love. Apple... can't you make February come sooner??
    Re the carrier being to blame - its of note that the WM6 update for the Samsung Blackjack has also been delayed, despite being available for its twin model overseas. I think it is fair to direct more ire at AT&T than either Palm or Microsoft, as they seem to be the common factor.

Surur
    I don't think you're completely right on this one, if AT&T was the problem, why isn't the unbranded 750 available with WM6 yet? I mean, that model is not depending on any provider whatsoever and still has no (official) WM6 upgrade avaiable...

Furthermore I agree with coppertop, Palm should be able to pinpoint a specific date. And I don't care what the date is, as long as there ís one. Don't keep everyone in the dark, just be clear. Microsoft can do that, so why can't Palm?
    A range of models > Then came the Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750
    Your absurd....

Lunatic fringe? The moderators wouldn't appreciate my first thoughts on that statement. But, why is it so unreasonable for consumers to expect information on product releases from the manufacturers?

I'm not asking for trade secrets or sacred corporate information but rather PRODUCT information. I choose the Treo 750 for two reasons, I was unhappy with Palm OS and WM6. Palm, ATT and MS have no problem promoting the sale of the 750 with the opportunity to upgrade to WM6 so why can't someone offer PRODUCT information such as a release date?

I'm not bashing these manufacturers because WM6 hasn't been released as I felt it should have been. I'm bashing them for not offering more PRODUCT information as to when WM6 will be released.

If they came out tomorrow and said WM6 has a target release date of October 1, 2008 I'd be fine with that. If on September 1, 2008 they realized that there was a bug in the upgrade and announced a delay of 30 days, I'd be fine with that too. What drives me crazy is the half-wits that leak information, vague statements from Company support and sales reps, and constantly seeing "rumored" release dates come and go with no product.

If this environment is fine with you, great. It's just getting a little old in my book.

How does your life significantly improve if Palm announces a release date of 10/1/08, then delays it 30 days? Will it affect your vacation plans? Those that choose to believe rumors and unsubstantiated information are certainly subjecting themselves to all this angst. I hope it's worth it to you.

If you're that unhappy with Palm, then go buy a Blackberry, man.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    I don't think you're completely right on this one, if AT&T was the problem, why isn't the unbranded 750 available with WM6 yet? I mean, that model is not depending on any provider whatsoever and still has no (official) WM6 upgrade avaiable...

Furthermore I agree with coppertop, Palm should be able to pinpoint a specific date. And I don't care what the date is, as long as there ís one. Don't keep everyone in the dark, just be clear. Microsoft can do that, so why can't Palm?
    FWIW:

Rogers here in Canada is shipping the Treo 750 WITH Windows Mobile 6!

So I suspect it is an issue with AT&T and not Palm nor Microsoft.

Unfortunately I can't get anyone to extract their Rogers Treo 750 ROM so we can try it.
    aparently the AT&T 750 wm6 update has been leaked i can search and find like 15 torrents for it. If this is true then maybe we can find a way to make it work on the 700wx as well that would be slick.
    ToonFan,

Do you work for Palm or something, because you sure did just jump right into this thread and start bashing away at the rest of us. Granted everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for you to minimize our issues, regardless of who its directed it, is not cool.

I for one have been in contact with SEVERAL senior support reps with both AT&T AND Palm, and even the Palm reps have told me THEY are still working with AT&T to get the ROM ready, but the ROM is in their hands, not AT&T. If and When the ROM is released, it will be available on PALMS website, not AT&T. AT&T will LINK to the PALM site. AT&T is not a software company, they don't develop Operating Systems, they don't develop software. The Device is a Palm device, not an AT&T device. (Technically it's an HTC, but that is neither here nor there)

Is it possible that AT&T has requested Palm withold the update for the Cingular/AT&T branded Treos? Yes, I will give you that much, it is highly possible, however this does not explain the delay in the update for unbranded Treo 750s.

Palm has a history of making announcments about software updates for their devices and then dragging it out forever before a release is made. Also you assume that no one is upset with AT&T, dont make assumptions, all it does is make you look like, well, you know the phrase. I am upset with AT&T as well, as most of these people are as well. It clearly states on their product website for the Treo 750, UPGRADEABLE TO HSDPA IN 2007. I was sold on this phone in store for that exact reason. I was told, in store when I bought it back in March that the upgrade would be available by July. July came and went, then it was August 15th, then September 17th, then October 12th, then October 15th, then October 21st/22nd. Now its, hurry up and wait again. I got these dates from either a Palm rep or an AT&T rep, depending on who I called first that day. That is **** poor customer service. I work for a large software company, and if we did that to our customers, I wouldn't have a job. We give a release date, and we hit that date. If we are going to miss it due to a bug with an enhancement or a regression, we let the customers know that.

Should we be getting ourselves all upset over a "free" update. Probably not, not if we are not paying for it. By all rights, Microsoft and or Palm and their partner carriers could arguably charge for the update, but they don't. That however does not mean we should lay back and take poor customer service without the ability to voice our opinions and frustration without some moron coming in and bashing us for voicing our thoughts, feelings, concerns, frustrations etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan View Post
    How does your life significantly improve if Palm announces a release date of 10/1/08, then delays it 30 days? Will it affect your vacation plans? Those that choose to believe rumors and unsubstantiated information are certainly subjecting themselves to all this angst. I hope it's worth it to you.

If you're that unhappy with Palm, then go buy a Blackberry, man.
    How does my life significantly improve? It gives me a time table; it tells me to be patient regardless of what is released in the meantime; it tells me that Palm isn't playing games with the consumer.

And if they did announce a release date, only to move it back, I won't loose a wink of sleep. Apparently the concept of informing customers of product information is too hard for you to grasp as well.

Is it so difficult to understand that those of us who'd like to see WM6, who are pleased with the Treo would like a little more information from the manufacturer beyond "we're working on it"?

It's not just the release of WM6 but it's also with other products from Palm and it's partners. Remember all the garbage that went on with the release of the 680?

Toon, you like asking questions so here's a few for you. Why shouldn't Palm offer consumers more concrete product information? Why shouldn't they give us a target date for WM6 release? Why is it acceptable to offer vague statements regarding the release, keeping consumers guessing and frustrated?
    Quote Originally Posted by bellington74 View Post
    ToonFan,

Do you work for Palm or something, because you sure did just jump right into this thread and start bashing away at the rest of us. Granted everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for you to minimize our issues, regardless of who its directed it, is not cool.

I for one have been in contact with SEVERAL senior support reps with both AT&T AND Palm, and even the Palm reps have told me THEY are still working with AT&T to get the ROM ready, but the ROM is in their hands, not AT&T. If and When the ROM is released, it will be available on PALMS website, not AT&T. AT&T will LINK to the PALM site. AT&T is not a software company, they don't develop Operating Systems, they don't develop software. The Device is a Palm device, not an AT&T device. (Technically it's an HTC, but that is neither here nor there)

Is it possible that AT&T has requested Palm withold the update for the Cingular/AT&T branded Treos? Yes, I will give you that much, it is highly possible, however this does not explain the delay in the update for unbranded Treo 750s.

Palm has a history of making announcments about software updates for their devices and then dragging it out forever before a release is made. Also you assume that no one is upset with AT&T, dont make assumptions, all it does is make you look like, well, you know the phrase. I am upset with AT&T as well, as most of these people are as well. It clearly states on their product website for the Treo 750, UPGRADEABLE TO HSDPA IN 2007. I was sold on this phone in store for that exact reason. I was told, in store when I bought it back in March that the upgrade would be available by July. July came and went, then it was August 15th, then September 17th, then October 12th, then October 15th, then October 21st/22nd. Now its, hurry up and wait again. I got these dates from either a Palm rep or an AT&T rep, depending on who I called first that day. That is **** poor customer service. I work for a large software company, and if we did that to our customers, I wouldn't have a job. We give a release date, and we hit that date. If we are going to miss it due to a bug with an enhancement or a regression, we let the customers know that.

Should we be getting ourselves all upset over a "free" update. Probably not, not if we are not paying for it. By all rights, Microsoft and or Palm and their partner carriers could arguably charge for the update, but they don't. That however does not mean we should lay back and take poor customer service without the ability to voice our opinions and frustration without some moron coming in and bashing us for voicing our thoughts, feelings, concerns, frustrations etc.
    I own a 750. Been a Treo owner since the original. WM5 works fine, but I'd like the improvements on WM6. I check TC every day waiting for the update. I run a relatively successful consumer products company. I have announced product release dates, and taken the wrath of consumers who were all geared up for their product on that day, only to have us experience delays beyond our control. We were always sorry to have put a date on it. Poor customer service is telling your customers something will happen on a certain date, and not delivering.

I read these comments that "Palm must do this", and "Palm must tell us that". There are some here that feel incredibly entitled, when Palm doesn't have any obligation to put an exact release date on an upgrade. In a perfect world, Palm would say the update is coming on a certain date, and would release it. But we do not live in a perfect world. Trust me when I tell you that Palm doesn't gain anything by waiting to release it. And they don't gain anything by releasing it if it isn't quite ready. Imagine this forum if Palm released a WM6 upgrade that had bugs and rendered our Treos useless......

I jumped in because some comments seem incredibly impatient and unfair, and the comments directed at Palm are harsh. There are leaked versions of WM6 floating around. If some people are so desperate for it, it's available. Download it, install, it, and get on with your lives. Or wait until Palm releases the ATT&T version. We thought WM5 was perfectly fine when we bought our Treo's. Sure, from all accounts WM6 works better, but it's not like WM5 is an original DOS operating system.

Given the human tragedy and serious world events happening every day, being this upset over a smartphone operating system upgrade is really shallow. I doubt anyone in proximity of the San Diego area is worried about Palm making a free WM6 upgrade available on a specific date when their home is about to go up in flames.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast