View Poll Results: Would you Buy the AT&T Tilt?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 63.64%
  • No

12 36.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm conducting a poll with comments if you like. I'm sure a number of Treo 750 lovers (with WM6) are asking about getting the Tilt. I know 1 person that has both and loves the Tilt. I, on the other hand am on the fence about if I wouldn't like it because of the slide out screen!

Lets hear some pros and cons!
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    I just got a Tilt and having had a 750, 680, 650 before that I wasn't expecting to like it. But with a couple of third party apps to help it be more of a one-handed phone, I must say that I find it to be a terrific smartphone and I am likely keeping it. The built in GPS, Wi-Fi, and 240x320 screen are just too cool and I've already grown fond of the thing. It is far better than the 8525 IMO (which I returned) and I wish I could say I am missing the 750....but I'd be lying.
  3.    #3  
    I heard the Tilt runs slow because all of the AT&T applications that are on it! Do you find that valid?

DrB
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell View Post
    I heard the Tilt runs slow because all of the AT&T applications that are on it! Do you find that valid?
    Not at all. But I admit to not leaving the AT&T ROM on it for very long either.
    After a well over a year with a KJAM, I am done with sliders. I don't care how many features the Tilt has, it's bulky and heavy. The same sentiment has been expressed over at PocketNow. Even the Treo is getting to feel a bit on the chunky side for my tastes. I am looking forward to the new Ipaq 900 series as well as devices like Samsung WM Pro device (I forget the model). Hopefully Samsung offers a quadband 3g equivalent for the US.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    After a well over a year with a KJAM, I am done with sliders. I don't care how many features the Tilt has, it's bulky and heavy. The same sentiment has been expressed over at PocketNow. Even the Treo is getting to feel a bit on the chunky side for my tastes. I am looking forward to the new Ipaq 900 series as well as devices like Samsung WM Pro device (I forget the model). Hopefully Samsung offers a quadband 3g equivalent for the US.
    The new HP 914 does look interesting. But I'm happy for now (no offense) with the Tilt.
    For me, I need one handed operation. I realize that the Tilt is more feature laiden--just wifi alone is very cool. However HSDPA speed on the 750 makes it okay for me. If I really want to surf the web I want at least a lap top sized display anyway so neither the Tilt or 750 are great.

The 750 is nearly the perfect device. If I could change anything I would first make it thinner and then give it more RAM and finally I guess wifi. Battery life is terrible too, but I have resigned myself to plugging in the charger when in my office or car or swapping for a charged battery if I must and then it works fine. I did like the fact that my 650 always made it through an entire day on a single charge, but I will take the trade off for simultaneous voice and data, multi-tasking as well as about 5 times faster data speed typically and likely to be faster as UMTS/HSDPA becomes more prevalent.

As far as I know this is about as thin as you can get with a touch screen and about as small a form factor as you can have and still be able to see the screen well and type without any real issues.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    For me, I need one handed operation. I realize that the Tilt is more feature laiden--just wifi alone is very cool. However HSDPA speed on the 750 makes it okay for me. If I really want to surf the web I want at least a lap top sized display anyway so neither the Tilt or 750 are great.

As far as I know this is about as thin as you can get with a touch screen and about as small a form factor as you can have and still be able to see the screen well and type without any real issues.
    Check out the Samsung i780. Wm6 Pro, 3g, wifi, gps in a Blackjack style form factor. Now that blows any Treo away.

Oh almost forgot, a 320 x 320 screen.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Googled the phone and found some pics. Looks like a maybe a release date of early next year in Europe (Sweden?). No pricing information but I am betting $800 US at least. The dangers of this site...

Well, I guess when my contract is up in another 11 months or so on my 750 the i780 should be ready for ATT...
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I got the Tilt after having owned the Treo 750, 8525, 8125, and Treo 650. Overall, I find that the device can be slow at some things (of particular aggravation is the time it takes to rotate to/from landscape/portrait mode when sliding out the keyboard). I took a lot of the AT&T "bloatware" off as well, and disabled the HTC Task Manager that seemed to be creating problems and so far it works. I've always been a Treo form factor fan (As jngold can attest), but the Treo is just too outdated for me to continue using it. I've gotten used to CooTek's TouchPal SIP which allows me to quickly respond to txts/short emails very quickly (typing almost as fast as I can with my treo). I slide out the keyboard when I'm texting a lot or when I'm surfing the web, or when I'm watching my Slingbox. Overall, it's a great device, the GPS works great (a big reason why I got it), but it is heavy and not as efficient as the Treo. I can see myself upgrading to the HP 910c or the Samsung (if that ever comes out) but I doubt either of those devices will be out before 2008 anyways which gives me enough time to enjoy the Tilt. Oh, btw I thought the Tilt screen was just a gimmick but it is actually really nice to use for videos, websurfing, or just keeping it on my desk when I have it on silent so I can see new txts/calls as they come in w/o disturbing my team.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I got the Tilt after having owned the Treo 750, 8525, 8125, and Treo 650. Overall, I find that the device can be slow at some things (of particular aggravation is the time it takes to rotate to/from landscape/portrait mode when sliding out the keyboard). I took a lot of the AT&T "bloatware" off as well, and disabled the HTC Task Manager that seemed to be creating problems and so far it works. I've always been a Treo form factor fan (As jngold can attest), but the Treo is just too outdated for me to continue using it. I've gotten used to CooTek's TouchPal SIP which allows me to quickly respond to txts/short emails very quickly (typing almost as fast as I can with my treo). I slide out the keyboard when I'm texting a lot or when I'm surfing the web, or when I'm watching my Slingbox. Overall, it's a great device, the GPS works great (a big reason why I got it), but it is heavy and not as efficient as the Treo. I can see myself upgrading to the HP 910c or the Samsung (if that ever comes out) but I doubt either of those devices will be out before 2008 anyways which gives me enough time to enjoy the Tilt. Oh, btw I thought the Tilt screen was just a gimmick but it is actually really nice to use for videos, websurfing, or just keeping it on my desk when I have it on silent so I can see new txts/calls as they come in w/o disturbing my team.
    I couldn't get that Touchpal SIP to work for some reason. Maybe because I loaded up a cooked ROM. Dunno. Overall I've not had any issues with speed but again, I dumped the AT&T ROM the day I got the thing. I am a pretty happy camper. It's not perfect but it is better than the 750 overall if I weighed the pros-cons of each phone.

Now the new HP and Samsung sound great but I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it. For now I have a state-of-the-art phone and are pretty geeked that I can use Skype to make calls (over Wi-Fi) and the integrated GPS is just great, albeit the sensitivity is not as good as my BT GPS unit.

The biggest draw back I've noticed is the sound quality with BT - it is not very good. I can live with it since I don't use my BT headset that much, but it isn't as good as the 750s...and I'm not sure thats saying much.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I am so waiting for the new HP IPAQ 900 line, this I think is the qwerty smartphone tank that I am looking for.

Regards
    graylion
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Though I'm still hoping Palm can figure out how to manage HSDPA under Palm OS since I like their UI a bit better than Windows Mobile.

The slider keyboard is difficult to use one-handed, but is less tiring to use for extended text entry. And, oddly, the block recognizer (one mode of handwriting recognition) will read Classic Grafitti -- as an old Palm user (Vx, i705, T|T3, Garmin iQue) I find that quite handy.

Other than it having fried a Micro-SD card while I was setting it up (no idea what happened, the card is now dead to all readers, but a different card is working fine) and issues with getting Office Mobile to read and save *.doc files (solved, mostly -- it choked on some text formatting I haven't yet pinpointed), I'm pretty much happy with it.

Now, if I could just get Garmin navigation software to run on it using the internal GPS... (I'll settle for TomTom, though, and Google Maps is a tolerable stopgap solution).

-Rusty, long time gone.
    (Palm Vx/Modem sled, i705, T|T3, Treos 90-650, Blackjack, Tilt)
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    i have a tilt as well but i don't like how this phone operate with needing 2 hands. i want my treo back lol. Everything else is awsome tho \. wifi realy does not do much becuse the pages still load super slow.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    It's a big jump for me as well from the Treo line to the Tilt. I miss the 1-handed operations most. Other than that, the Tilt is simply AWESOME! Big and BRIGHER screen, Wi-Fi, GPS - coupled with Windows Live Search then it becomes a navigation system, and many cool stuff.

It seems that Tilt is more stable than 750. DON'T FLAME ME as I don't have any data to support this claim. But my personal experience is I haven't had to reset my Tilt at all. As for my 750, for some reasons I had to reset it every day as my 750 (with WM6 installed) would simply go dark completely and no keys would wake it up.

I compared the size of the Tilt against the 750. They are about the same.
    Last edited by webedc; 10/24/2007 at 11:21 PM.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ... disabled the HTC Task Manager that seemed to be creating problems and so far it works.
    I did the same after I got a tip from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51#post1609251. Now my emails, alarms, and notifications are coming through!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    It's a big jump for me as well from the Treo line to the Tilt. I miss the 1-handed operations most. Other than that, the Tilt is simply AWESOME! Big and BRIGHER screen, Wi-Fi, GPS - coupled with Windows Live Search then it becomes a navigation system, and many cool stuff.

It seems that Tilt is more stable than 750. DON'T FLAME ME as I don't have any data to support this claim. But my personal experience is I haven't had to reset my Tilt at all. As for my 750, for some reasons I had to reset it every day as my 750 (with WM6 installed) would simply go dark completely and no keys would wake it up.

I compared the size of the Tilt against the 750. They are about the same.
    I've found the Treo to be more stable for now, but that's likely due to all of my tweaking I've been doing lately to the Tilt. I couldn't stand the 8525, but for some reason I'm able to tolerate the Tilt, most likely because of the new TouchPal SIP that is just awesome and doesn't require me to slide out the keyboard all the time to send quick text messages - i think it's actually faster to use TouchPal than the big keyboard a lot of the time, especially when you factor in the time it takes to rotate the screen.
  18.    #18  
    Well, I finally made my decision based on using my friends Tilt for the last 24 hrs. I like some of the fuctionality, but its definitly NOT a Treo 750! The Treo is much more user friendly and intuitive! The Tilt is quirky and difficult to manage the easiest of tasks including Texting!!!! The Tilt is also a bit slow probably from all the AT&T stuff that loads on initial boot-up! All in all its a real nice device for someone who needs everything in a handheld ppc, but lacks ease of use for the most used tasks including dialing a phone number or texting your friends!

DrB
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell View Post
    Well, I finally made my decision based on using my friends Tilt for the last 24 hrs. I like some of the fuctionality, but its definitly NOT a Treo 750! The Treo is much more user friendly and intuitive! The Tilt is quirky and difficult to manage the easiest of tasks including Texting!!!! The Tilt is also a bit slow probably from all the AT&T stuff that loads on initial boot-up! All in all its a real nice device for someone who needs everything in a handheld ppc, but lacks ease of use for the most used tasks including dialing a phone number or texting your friends!
    Sounds like out-of-the-box the thing is pretty cumbersome. However, I wasted no time in loading a custom ROM, SPB Mobile, and SPB Diary as soon as I put the battery in mine. As such I have largely one-handed operation, great speed, lots of memory, and stability. Toss in the added toys (GPS, Wi-Fi) and I'm really quite happy with the phone so far.

Of course I dream of a day when Palm will have a Treo with POS and all the features I want. But it seems to me they are falling more and more behind the curve and with new competition from the likes of HP and Samsung I think Palm had better get moving....fast!
    I am also getting a Tilt, and will wait for the HP 912-914 when available. I really need a device that has features similar to a laptop.
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast